Congratulations to the Queen

I'll say no more :)

I'm really not interested in anything royal.

I have no interest in the Royals or anything they stand for or represent

Oh well, good job I have broad shoulders and it's on a topic meaningless to me

Cracking reasoned debate going on here :sleep:

I'll not view this thread again then and certainly not post on it in fear of another ban.

You've said that you're not interested in the Royals, that the topic is meaningless to you and that you won't say anything else or post any more.

Stick to your word. :)

Guest Xander1873

The Queen can trace her bloodline back to Robert the Bruce, she was born in Britain, her Father was born in Britain and her Mother was born in Scotland. In fact the last Monarch to be born outside of the United Kingdom was King George II who reigned from 1727 to 1760. So can we leave this silly argument that the Queen and the royal family aren't British.

I am of mixed race ethnicity, my maternal family is Scottish and can trace our bloodline back countless generations. My Paternal bloodline is of Indian descent and its something I feel no connection to and have no wish to feel connected to. Going by the argument that the Queen is not British would those same people wish to take my nationality from me.

I have great deal of reverence for the Monarchy and our present Queen, I see the Monarchy as a symbol of our Country a unifying figure in an extremely fractured society. The Prince's Trust, The duke of Edinburgh award and the numerous other charities orchestrated and patronised by the royal family make a huge difference to ordinary people. It could be said that the Royal family down through the years are the only public figures who have consistently tried to be a positive impact on the lower and middle classes.

I would hate to see a politician become head of state and the money spent on a president for nothing more than a politician without any history or pageantry. I enjoy the pageantry and the history and I believe it enriches our country. We will always need a head of state and I think we would do a lot worse with an elected head of state, who would also be divisive as a politician.

I explained earlier that annual profits of more than £200.000.000m from the crown estates which belongs to the monarchy by right is given to the treasury in return for the civil list. So the Monarchy doesn't cost us anything before taking into account the other ways in which they help boost the economy. The Civil List is not a salary and basically covers the cost of official engagements and visits, of which the Queen made 400 last year. She also fulfils her constitutional duties and her presence keeps parliament in check, she is a check against abuse of power by elected officials.

I think people should be able to respect someone who has dedicated herself to a lifetime of service whether she has lived a privileged lifestyle or not. There are many wealthy people who had inherited their wealth from their parents and choose not to be of service to others.

In my experience reasoned debate with anti-monarchists doesn't go well.

if you can never have reasoned debates with anti-monarchists, could it possibly be that it is you that has the problem then, and not them? Just a thought.

if you can never have reasoned debates with anti-monarchists, could it possibly be that it is you that has the problem then, and not them? Just a thought.

Perhaps, but rightly or wrongly some of the stuff said about The Queen riles me.

Perhaps, but rightly or wrongly some of the stuff said about The Queen riles me.

You realise of course if you lose the head you have lost the argument no matter how fanatical you are about the subject.

You realise of course if you lose the head you have lost the argument no matter how fanatical you are about the subject.

Perhaps that's true as well.

But I really don't think it should be an argument in the first place, there's enough disagreement and debate when it comes to politics. The Queen is not a politician by any means and unlike politics does not chop and change, so I don't see why we cannot all just see the Royals as part of what Britain is and rejoice it or at least respect it, instead of a constant desire for things to be different.

Perhaps that's true as well.

But I really don't think it should be an argument in the first place, there's enough disagreement and debate when it comes to politics. The Queen is not a politician by any means and unlike politics does not chop and change, so I don't see why we cannot all just see the Royals as part of what Britain is and rejoice it or at least respect it, instead of a constant desire for things to be different.

Yes you are right but that is your opinion. Other people have a different opinion. I totally agree we should all respect the Queen whether we support her or not. She has only tried to do her best for the country. I personally agree with you but there are other things going like when thousands are losing their job every day, should we be paying millions for a few days celebration for the Queen. I am not against her but there are issues where I think is this all necessary.

I'm not really a Royalist as such, but I can clearly see that the Monarchy is a selling point of this country. She may have led a privileged life but I'd rather her than some Political style head of state in the mould of Bush/Sarkozy etc.