Laudrup's comments

"We would not have been allowed to have become complacent. We had so many characters in the team.

"I was speaking to a good friend on Sunday and we were discussing Johan Cruyff at Barcelona, when my brother was there, and he signed Hristo Stoichkov.

"Not just as a player but also because he was a little bit crazy and Cruyff thought the dressing room was getting a bit too friendly.

"That was the secret behind our success in the nine-in-a-row team at Rangers.

"We had a backbone of Scottish players and they do not have that any more which a great shame.

"We had Goram, Gough, McCall, Ferguson and McCoist. A lot of good Scottish players.

"It is very difficult for the young players at Rangers at this moment.

"If you come into a settled side with a lot of experienced players, it is a lot easier to settle in.

"I watched Rangers on Saturday and was impressed by Steven Smith, he is a young promising player.

"But, if you are looking at one of the younger players to be a leader on the park, that's wrong.

"That is maybe the problem at the moment. Rangers have a lot of foreign players and they have to get used to the language, the way of life and football and that takes time.

"There is a new manager as well and, while I think he'll come good, it will be a rollercoaster for the next couple of months."

------

a dig at barry ferguson perhaps?

he has also supported david murray.

Laudrup is one of my favorite players but like many ex-players I'd rather they kept their criticism private. He would have been the first to complain if older players had slagged him off for under-achieving on the European stage.

Moreover, at the moment we are starting with around 6 Scottish players each game - which is pretty much what we played with for the bulk of his 'Gers career:

McGregor

Hutton

Smith

Ferguson

Adam

Boyd

i think laudrup was highlighting that the well established experienced players were scottish. like goram, gough etc who could help both the youngsters and the foreigners settle in.

but those players frankie has listed are all young scottish players (which i do not think is a bad thing!) with the exception of ferguson. so maybe laudrup does have a point... maybe he doesnt...

one thing is for sure, somethings going wrong somewhere!

Also, i think he's talking about players with character....i think he means mental.....some of the players he had were nutters...in the right way...i think you cannot make somebody that way....it's inbuilt...so you really can't compare any of our current players to the crazy ones we had and you can't make them into nutters....if we could sign a couple of guys with that kind of nature you would see a massive difference in the team...

His analogy does seem a bit weak with the only missing part of the spine being a central defender.

Maybe he means we should have a big Scottish central defender - oh and play Boyd from the start.

I think "If you come into a settled side with a lot of experienced players, it is a lot easier to settle in." is very true and applicable.

We've only got a couple of experienced players who are pulling their weight - Dado and Barry. The only other three that could be considered experienced are Letizi, Rodriguez and Hemdani and only the latter is doing much at all for the team.

I would prefer to play with about five experienced players and six young ones rather than three and eight.

a dig at barry ferguson perhaps?

I think he's saying the experienced players aren't helping the ypoung guys liek Smith. They aren't being leaders on the field and making it easier for the young boys to integrate into the side. Infact if anything the reverse is happening as the older players aren't prforming, and this should not be the case.

Think it has f.a to do with Barry tbh.

I think he's saying the experienced players aren't helping the ypoung guys liek Smith. They aren't being leaders on the field and making it easier for the young boys to integrate into the side. Infact if anything the reverse is happening as the older players aren't prforming, and this should not be the case.

Think it has f.a to do with Barry tbh.

wait, if barry ferguson is an experienced player, and the experienced players aren't helping the youngsters, how can it be f.a to do with barry ferguson?

wait, if barry ferguson is an experienced player, and the experienced players aren't helping the youngsters, how can it be f.a to do with barry ferguson?

aye fair point, phrased that wrong.

What I meant was that I don't think Laudrup was singeling (sp) out Barry as you had suggested. As one of the senior members he does take some responsibility though.

aye fair point, phrased that wrong.

What I meant was that I don't think Laudrup was singeling (sp) out Barry as you had suggested. As one of the senior members he does take some responsibility though.

aye, agreed.