Is Ally the Man for the job? - The McCoist Thread

The directors decide on football philosophy?

So we have business men deciding how we play football and Ally just can't get it across to the team, really you believe that.

Of course directors decide these things. The directors employ a manager/coaches to train and play the team in a certain way. They should provide the vision for the club, the employees job is to deliver that.

Director of football if we went down that road for me would need to have full and final say on the training methods at Auchenhowie and buying and selling of players. The manager or head coach as he would technically be would then be charge with getting those players on the pitch and playing to their best ability.

More or less the American way.

We'd need a director of football like Gordon Smith to devise the football strategy.

Charles Green, Brian Stockbridge, Malcolm Murray and Imran Ahmad may be many things but they're not football visionaries.

Thats it!! If Ally walked:

There'd be no-body with any football knowledge to select a replacement.

If Ally was sacked (as above) Catch 22.

one would hope that some kind of philosophy is in place. though there is no evidence of it.

I agree, I've not heard what it is expressed yet. I'm willing to make allowances for the events of the summer but it should be in place reasonably soon.

Of course directors decide these things. The directors employ a manager/coaches to train and play the team in a certain way. They should provide the vision for the club, the employees job is to deliver that.

What can a business man tell a man who has played for 20 years then coached probably for the same amount of time about football?

I'm actually with amms here. the directors may say look win the league nothing else is important.

they may also say look play with style play on the deck at pace and with verve.

that's not something you need to know about football to say.

its up to the football guys to deliver it.

if super is delivering what the board want then they should go. if he isn't then he's got to be on a shoogly peg.

We'd need a director of football like Gordon Smith to devise the football strategy.

Charles Green, Brian Stockbridge, Malcolm Murray and Imran Ahmad may be many things but they're not football visionaries.

Maybe. Green stated he was going to create a "football board" I've not heard a lot spoken about it since though. I'm not a huge fan of Smith but I accept that we need someone to give the club football direction.

What can a business man tell a man who has played for 20 years then coached probably for the same amount of time about football?

Well it doesn't stop any of us does it!

I don't expect them to give coaching tips, simply to set the goals for the club to achieve on the pitch. Whether that's to win the league, play passing football, develop young players to sell etc is irrelevant.

I'm actually with amms here. the directors may say look win the league nothing else is important.

they may also say look play with style play on the deck at pace and with verve.

that's not something you need to know about football to say.

its up to the football guys to deliver it.

if super is delivering what the board want then they should go. if he isn't then he's got to be on a shoogly peg.

Theirs a big difference between a board of directors telling a manager we want to play attractive football and telling the manager his job, all directors want their club to play attractive football it brings in the fans.

What we need is a director of football who will put in place a way of training and playing that will last for generations, irrespective of what manage/head coach we employ. That would be a radical way forward for us at least and would get my full support. Only problem is who would you get for D of F.