Is Ally the Man for the job? - The McCoist Thread

I still feel Ally deserves a season in charge where he has free reign to concentrate purely on football matters without being sidetracked by off field problems. My concern is that preparation for next season is going to be equally difficult given that there is still uncertainty over league reconstruction and that we won't be able to have signings in place for pre season training.

our enemies, our detractors, our haters, those who conspire against us and even our own fans will all ensure that will never again happen. as you hint on in your next sentence/I]. we need to man up, get over these hurdles and get on with it. he has to go. :thup:

Edited by kuznetsov

So what your saying is he gets a free ride next season as well then, Jesus wept. :facepalm:

Can't wait for this perfect season to come along so Ally can have a free run imagine the football he will be able to get his team playing. :whistling:

and this is the problem we face allan, some people will give him so much time we will eventually forget who we are and where we are as a football club and where we were supposed to be going. i have never known anything like it. it takes complete blind faith to a whole new level. the sooner they come to terms with the fact he isnt a manager the better for all concerned.

Yes, I do think he deserves a proper pre season with the current squad and with a bit of luck we might be able to add to it. Surely there has to be some recognition that the 20 or so months he has had in charge have been like nothing that has ever gone before? I never promised a perfect season, that one thing I can guarantee wont happen as there has never been one in the last 30 years I have been following the team!

Yes, I do think he deserves a proper pre season with the current squad and with a bit of luck we might be able to add to it. Surely there has to be some recognition that the 20 or so months he has had in charge have been like nothing that has ever gone before? I never promised a perfect season, that one thing I can guarantee wont happen as there has never been one in the last 30 years I have been following the team!

there shouldnt be any luck about it. we need new players and we need players with quality who are going to entice fans back to the games. we keep hearing about these off field issues but ally has still had a bigger budget than every other manager in the country to work with bar one, he still has international players in the squad, he still has a world class training facility to work with his players, he still has a huge entourage of backroom staff to help him and he still has tens of thousands of fans supporting the team every week. people need to stop pleading poverty financially and morally, its a dreadful excuse. ally has had his chance, and some, and has made a complete noel hunt of it.

I agree that we need players but this isn't anything that Ally can solve. If he had made a COMPLETE Noel Hunt of it we wouldn't be 22 points clear at the top of the league. That was clearly the objective this season. I don't disagree with anything else you are saying....our "SPL" players have consistently failed to deliver and the manager must take some responsibility for this. Maybe I just feel a bit more loyalty towards Ally after events of the last 12m and still feel we can extend a bit more time for him to turn it round.

I agree that we need players but this isn't anything that Ally can solve. If he had made a COMPLETE Noel Hunt of it we wouldn't be 22 points clear at the top of the league. That was clearly the objective this season. I don't disagree with anything else you are saying....our "SPL" players have consistently failed to deliver and the manager must take some responsibility for this. Maybe I just feel a bit more loyalty towards Ally after events of the last 12m and still feel we can extend a bit more time for him to turn it round.

judging us in this league is pointless. we are up against nobody and its costing us £7m a year to do it. we were always going to canter this league. promotion was maybe the main objective but the manager was given so much money so he could make a fist of the domestic cups as well, which we didnt. rangers dont do one trophy a year, we go for everything, its what we do and its why we are the worlds most successful club. i find it hard to show loyalty to someone i dont believe in and someone i didnt want getting the job in the first place.

Did we genuinely spend so much money? We were pretty much forced to engage with out of contract SPL players as well as the usual procession of overseas players being touted by agents. There can be little doubt that we are not getting value in terms of the wages we pay but it was inevitable that we would be paying inflated salaries in order to convince players to come to the bottom Division. I don't believe for a moment that what we ended up with was Ally's "dream team". We had to work with what was available during a pretty tight window.

Did we genuinely spend so much money? We were pretty much forced to engage with out of contract SPL players as well as the usual procession of overseas players being touted by agents. There can be little doubt that we are not getting value in terms of the wages we pay but it was inevitable that we would be paying inflated salaries in order to convince players to come to the bottom Division. I don't believe for a moment that what we ended up with was Ally's "dream team". We had to work with what was available during a pretty tight window.

we spent more than any other club in the country on fees and on wages we are shelling out £7m per year. huge amounts in scottish football terms and galacticos amounts in division 3 terms.

I'm surprised we managed to convince so many players to come and play in the 4th tier of Scottish football for so little. If reported figures are to be believed the SPL players we signed are on less than half the wages of Jig and Alexander and are probably being paid no more than they would have been were we still in the SPL when we signed them.

Granted, in one or two cases we might have gone for a better alternative if we were still in the SPL, but that comes back to your point about the window being so tight and options limited.

It's all fine and well for some to say in hindsight that we should have signed the best players from the lower divisions who would have cost a fraction of the wages we're currently shelling out, but I just don't think it's realistic to assume that would have worked out better for anything more than the clubs coffers.

From memory, we had something like 6 players turn up for the first day of pre season training last year so it was obvious that we were going to be in a position where we had to spend a fair amount on fees and wages simply to address matters. I certainly don't feel that it was the case that McCoist was in a position to pick and choose what he wanted, merely getting in what was available! I would like to think that there will be a more strategic approach to our signings at the next available window and that Ally will emerge with a squad that he actually wants. Only then can we begin to to truly judge.