Is Ally the Man for the job? - The McCoist Thread

I didn't say you did and I don't think the SPL will rot either. Most of the SPL clubs will be forced to cut their cloth and some might have to increase their short-term debt, but they won't rot.

All this "Let's just go to the 3rd division and let them rot" stuff was totally pointless and without any sensible purpose because all it really did was give the SPL clubs a good reason not to allow the transfer of our league share. The clubs already had their own fans (cough!!, a LOT of Celtic fans) screaming from the rooftops that we shouldn't be allowed to stay in the SPL and all our own support did was basically tell them we didn't want their shitty SPL anyway and hand them an acceptance that we'd be willing to start again at the bottom tier of Scottish football. No wonder we are where we are then....

What was the alternative, beg them for mercy? Try and cushy up with their fans who'd done nothing but spout bile at us for months?

It was better to keep our dignity and get on with the fate that was inevitable without giving them even more satisfaction. 'Sporting integrity', our so-called 'lack of remorse' and the threats from their already small fanbases made only one vote possible, the way the majority revealed their decisions a while before the vote took place showed how much they were panicking and trying to create a bandwagon effect. Even the Kilmarnock chairman who obviously was/is very uncomfortable with Rangers not being in the SPL didn't have the guts to vote yes, only abstained.

So no Zappa, for me the best way was to embrace the hand that was certain to be dealt to us anyway, perhaps you really believe Rangers fans encouraging Division 3 made some sort of difference to the outcome but I don't and I don't think the majority do.

As for the SPL rotting, there's more chance of it without us than with us, so we'll wait and see.

Edited by simplythebest

I haven't looked at them yet and probably won't because I don't actually see any worthwhile value in the comparison or even talking about the comparison. :D

really?

it isn't of note that Gretna can tear up this league with no internationals and a tenth of our budget.

really?

it isn't of note that Gretna can tear up this league with no internationals and a tenth of our budget.

This league? I thought they tore up a league with a different set of teams in it than ours?

It was better to keep our dignity and get on with the fate that was inevitable without giving them even more satisfaction. 'Sporting integrity', our so-called 'lack of remorse' and the threats from their already small fanbases made only one vote possible, the way the majority revealed their decisions a while before the vote took place showed how much they were panicking and trying to create a bandwagon effect. Even the Kilmarnock chairman who obviously was/is very uncomfortable with Rangers not being in the SPL didn't have the guts to vote yes, only abstained.

So no Zappa, for me the best way was to embrace the hand that was certain to be dealt to us anyway, perhaps you really believe Rangers fans encouraging Division 3 made some sort of difference to the outcome but I don't and I don't think the majority do.

If I'm not mistaken, our own fans only REALLY started saying "let's go to division 3"... AFTER the other SPL clubs started broadcasting that they were going to vote against our league share being transferred. Or am I mistaken?

Also worth noting is that it was a prolonged "drip drip" affair over quite a period of time with the SPL clubs very slowly coming out with their decisions one by one and with every guaranteed future "NO" vote heavily covered in the press.

Our support were essentially conned into the "woohoo.. fuck em, let's go to the 3rd" mantra.

It's not pretty by any means, but that's my summarised account of how it played out.

Edited by Zappa

If I'm not mistaken, our own fans only REALLY started saying "let's go to division 3"... AFTER the other SPL clubs started broadcasting that they were going to vote against our league share being transferred. Or am I mistaken?

Also worth noting is that it was a prolonged "drip drip" affair over quite a period of time with the SPL clubs very slowly coming out with their decisions one by one and with every guaranteed future "NO" vote heavily covered in the press.

Our support were essentially conned into the "woohoo.. fuck em, let's go to the 3rd" mantra.

It's not pretty by any means, but that's my summarised account of how it played out.

Obviously it all stepped up at that point but I don't think many of us really expected to get favours from them, there'd been plenty of hints before even without confirming the votes. Once the CVA failed I think our fans were very much coming round to the idea of a fresh start at the bottom.

Yes, the "drip drip" thing you refer to was part of the bile going about, you may call it conning but I think it was simply case of not wanting to plead for mercy and scraps from these entities that had shown us so much contempt. But as it goes the club still went ahead with the application and tried buttering up the chairmen, the result showed we should have withdrawn it as soon as the number of public 'no' votes made it imposible.

From a footballing point of view I do believe the Third Divison is a good platform to make a fresh start as well, but i've pretty much outlined what I believe are the reasons for so many wanting to go to this league.

no excuses can be made. our budget it hundreds of times larger than the other teams.

we have players earning 5 times the turnover of these clubs.

individual players.

That is the issue.

I'd probably be more accepting of these excuses going about if, as most of us probably expected, we were playing a youth team with the odd Lee McCulloch type experience thrown in.

But on very high wages for this division we've signed top SPL players most of whom are internationalists as well as foreign under 21 internationalists and a player with over 100 Serie A appearances, more players of a similar ilk have been on trial and some more will probably sign this week. Not to mention the internationalists that we've retained and played, even if some are leaving now.

The only way such a transfer policy can be justified is a very convincing return.

Edited by simplythebest

• 3 weeks later...