Is Ally the Man for the job? - The McCoist Thread

You don't get on a guy's back with hard questions when he's hardly started the job - I think he's perfectly capable of doing that himself at this point, and the evidence is there that he has done so. It's not asking questions in any case, it's using every excuse to say we should get shot of him.

The difference here is that those who criticise him have already made up their mind before seeing much evidence, there is NO-ONE who has made up his mind that Ally is the best. The sides are: "He's rubbish and I'll never change my mind no matter what he does and I will point out every negative I can think of while chiding those that disagree with me for being blind" and "he's in a difficult job, under difficult circumstances, give him a bit time before judging and if he's not good enough then, then he has to go".

I was all for giving PLG time until the halfway point when we were 17 points behind, struggling for third place, making negative records and getting worse. If Ally does the same I will want him to go - actually Ally probably needs to at least win the league to get my approval whereas I just needed PLG to compete.

People seem to think that just by bringing in a new manager, that will solve all our problems - well PLG showed that that is nowhere near guaranteed - as did Advocaat eventually.

There are very few managers that have instantly turned around a club in dire straights without a load of money to spend. And if we judge subsequent managers the way McCoist has been judged and those detractors get their way, we'll be bringing in a new manager nearly every month.

Some cannot just forget last season's failures as easily, clearly football became low priority but that wasn't until February the 14th, by which point we'd gone out of four cup competitions very early and blown a 9-15 point lead.

Fans have an opinion but they want Ally to prove them wrong, it's up to Ally to prove them wrong.

You make it sound like people want him to fail.

Edited by simplythebest

What the hell is the point in even having a manager then?

Funny thing is there's a game called football manager - it gives only a tiny fraction of what it is like to be a manager, but it still doesn't allow you to teach the players how to play, or give them motivational speeches. If that's all management is really about then why does the game sell a lot of copies?

Some cannot just forget last season's failures as easily, clearly football became low priority but that wasn't until February the 14th, by which point we'd gone out of four cup competitions very early and blown a 9-15 point lead.

They didn't blow a 15point lead that's just making it up. You can't blow a lead when your opponents have games in hand.

He may have lost a 9 point lead but then why wasn't Lennon sacked for losing the 9pt lead in the first place? The point is that in football you have good and bad runs. We had a good one and then a bad one. They had a bad one and then a good one. We weren't very far apart and in fact even after the bad run McCoist had a well above average points total. You can't play your rivals games and when they are chalking up win after win it's not simple just to match them.

There were plenty of mitigating factors and to say the off-field problems didn't affect the players until administration is just naive. But the fact was our best player was badly injured from a much smaller squad than we normally have and smaller than our rivals and our second best player had an eye on the door and the EPL. At the same time Celtic were scraping wins and had a load of refereeing decisions to help them. Perhaps you think they were all fair and that Celtic didn't pressurise the referees over the last few years. Some of us think differently.

But the fact remains that before administration, we were back to winning ways and were challenging for the title - which is really all you can ask of a Rangers manager. Advocaat didn't do it, Eck didn't do it and PLG didn't do, so all three deserved to go. Ally challenged until administration made it impossible.

So that's enough to give him another go and really you have to think of last season as "game's a bogey". No-one can be judged in those circumstances.

Fans have an opinion but they want Ally to prove them wrong, it's up to Ally to prove them wrong.

That's exactly how it comes across.

They didn't blow a 15point lead that's just making it up. You can't blow a lead when your opponents have games in hand.

He may have lost a 9 point lead but then why wasn't Lennon sacked for losing the 9pt lead in the first place? The point is that in football you have good and bad runs. We had a good one and then a bad one. They had a bad one and then a good one. We weren't very far apart and in fact even after the bad run McCoist had a well above average points total. You can't play your rivals games and when they are chalking up win after win it's not simple just to match them.

There were plenty of mitigating factors and to say the off-field problems didn't affect the players until administration is just naive. But the fact was our best player was badly injured from a much smaller squad than we normally have and smaller than our rivals and our second best player had an eye on the door and the EPL. At the same time Celtic were scraping wins and had a load of refereeing decisions to help them. Perhaps you think they were all fair and that Celtic didn't pressurise the referees over the last few years. Some of us think differently.

But the fact remains that before administration, we were back to winning ways and were challenging for the title - which is really all you can ask of a Rangers manager. Advocaat didn't do it, Eck didn't do it and PLG didn't do, so all three deserved to go. Ally challenged until administration made it impossible.

So that's enough to give him another go and really you have to think of last season as "game's a bogey". No-one can be judged in those circumstances.

A 15 point lead is a 15 point lead, points on board are what count. It was still 9 points assuming their games in hand were won, but we actually let them go top of the table before the new year even came in, it was an appalling run of results especially considering there were no fixture congestion issues. Challenging for the title is the very least to expect of Rangers FC, I don't see why that is worthy of huge credit. You mention Lennon but he apparently was on the verge of the sack 3-0 down at half time against Kilmarnock, going back to 3-3 and us letting them back into it kept him in a job.

Maybe i'm naive then, but the players were getting paid and had no problem winning trophies the past few years amongst financial speculation, until we actually filed our intent to go into administration it was all just more speculation. You need to cope with injuries, Aluko's signing injected skill and pace anyway to fill the gap left by Naismith. Jelavic was still pulling Ally out of holes even if he had an eye on elsewhere, could have been much worse without his goals. I don't think there is anything fair about Celtic and their conduct especially the last few years over officials but i'm talking about us, not them.

Generous to say we were back to winning ways, penultimate game before admin we went out of the cup at home to Dundee Utd in one of the worst displays i've seen. Couple of weeks before we drew at home to Aberdeen to let the gap be extended.

I've never claimed he didn't deserve another go and he's got one, my concern is that he's showing very little improvement so far. Ally didn't get fully judged considering how things ended up but it doesn't mean we have to erase it from history.

Well difficult to debate with you if you really believe that of fellow bears.

At least we have been moved up to a faction instead of just Ally Bashers, I'm moved guys thanks. :)

I'm not interested in the score, it's the football I want to see improve the scoreline will take care of itself if we play a high tempo passing game.

is there a clapping smilie face? i like that post!

it is such a huge subject it is going to be brought up in nearly every thread. there is no getting away with it. you cannot suppress the truth nor will fans let you.

I particularly like people coming up talking about the "truth", especially the one in their words. Did we have lunch from the bark of the tree of wisdom today? Next up comes a remark about "follow blindly" et al ... and we end up exactly with what I pointed out above:

As I said before, maybe we can have a sticky Ally McCoist thread, so we can keep the match- and other threads clear of this?!

It is just one faction who cannot stop blurting along. It is not constructive and sure not helpful for any debate. No-one on here follows McCoist blindly, but there is sure no reason tell the world how bad he is in your eyes each time we take the field. We have our own eyes and a memory that lasts longer than 5 seconds, so no need to remind us of your view on McCoist.

simplythebest

Why do you sound so offended by it all? It's opinions, not a lynch mob.

Offended? Nope. Annoyed more likely. As I wrote above, we know what certain people think about McCoist and don't need nigh any game thread being filled with snide remarks by the usual suspects. Hence I suggest a sticky thread where people can let off steam before taking part in a more constructive debate.

You don't get on a guy's back with hard questions when he's hardly started the job - I think he's perfectly capable of doing that himself at this point, and the evidence is there that he has done so. It's not asking questions in any case, it's using every excuse to say we should get shot of him.

The difference here is that those who criticise him have already made up their mind before seeing much evidence, there is NO-ONE who has made up his mind that Ally is the best. The sides are: "He's rubbish and I'll never change my mind no matter what he does and I will point out every negative I can think of while chiding those that disagree with me for being blind" and "he's in a difficult job, under difficult circumstances, give him a bit time before judging and if he's not good enough then, then he has to go".

I was all for giving PLG time until the halfway point when we were 17 points behind, struggling for third place, making negative records and getting worse. If Ally does the same I will want him to go - actually Ally probably needs to at least win the league to get my approval whereas I just needed PLG to compete.

People seem to think that just by bringing in a new manager, that will solve all our problems - well PLG showed that that is nowhere near guaranteed - as did Advocaat eventually.

There are very few managers that have instantly turned around a club in dire straights without a load of money to spend. And if we judge subsequent managers the way McCoist has been judged and those detractors get their way, we'll be bringing in a new manager nearly every month.

Were the tims not calling for Lennons head last year when we were near that much in front. The time to decide is at the end of the season.

Check my posts and I think you'll find I never said that.

I don't think anyone thought it was deserved, just that it was the best way to make a fresh start away from the sporting integrity brigade and let them rot.

I didn't say you did and I don't think the SPL will rot either. Most of the SPL clubs will be forced to cut their cloth and some might have to increase their short-term debt, but they won't rot.

All this "Let's just go to the 3rd division and let them rot" stuff was totally pointless and without any sensible purpose because all it really did was give the SPL clubs a good reason not to allow the transfer of our league share. The clubs already had their own fans (cough!!, a LOT of Celtic fans) screaming from the rooftops that we shouldn't be allowed to stay in the SPL and all our own support did was basically tell them we didn't want their shitty SPL anyway and hand them an acceptance that we'd be willing to start again at the bottom tier of Scottish football. No wonder we are where we are then....

That's unfair Zappa maybe you thought at the time we could stay in the SPL but it was obvious from the outset that that was never going to be the case, all Rangers fans united to go there under the assumption we would 'stroll' it.

We aren't 'strolling' it, we're in an uncanny way 'fumbling' our way so far and that's extremely worrying.

I'll tell you what I think is unfair: What's unfair is expecting Ally and his team to "stroll it" with a brand new first team squad other than a couple of players and some youngsters he hardly knows. That's unfair.

I'm going to be unfair on Ally and the squad too though because I DO expect them to stroll the league. It's way too early for me to start worrying though.

did you look at those Gretna results?

I haven't looked at them yet and probably won't because I don't actually see any worthwhile value in the comparison or even talking about the comparison. :D

Edited by Zappa