Is Ally the Man for the job? - The McCoist Thread

I do think some are being a bit precious as well about the whole 'slagging off' thing.

Considering the swearing and abuse some managers will get if the fans are unhappy Ally is not getting a hard time at all, and his status means he probably never will get that hard a time.

I just don't see any encouraging signs.

can he find good players - not really

do players inmprove under him - no

tactical side of game - I've yet to see a change made never mind an effective one

are players motivated - no quite the oposite

are they fit - not much more than part time players it seems

I asked this before what's his qualities. what's his football philosophy. what's he done as a manager to deserve support.

outstanding post.

outstanding post.

I take that literally. Someone of that faction had to post it at one point or another. As I said before, maybe we can have a sticky Ally McCoist thread, so we can keep the match- and other threads clear of this?!

I take that literally. Someone of that faction had to post it at one point or another. As I said before, maybe we can have a sticky Ally McCoist thread, so we can keep the match- and other threads clear of this?!

Why do you sound so offended by it all? It's opinions, not a lynch mob.

it is such a huge subject it is going to be brought up in nearly every thread. there is no getting away with it. you cannot suppress the truth nor will fans let you.

it is such a huge subject it is going to be brought up in nearly every thread. there is no getting away with it. you cannot suppress the truth nor will fans let you.

The problem is that it's just snidy comments with no logic or reason. Some people have their managerial "favourites" and the ones they dislike and they post negative things about the ones they dislike when they have no facts or evidence and use mostly made up stuff.

The thing that puts this into perspective is when you contrast the comments of the same people on McCoist and a "favourite" of theirs, PLG. There is absolutely no consistency at all.

Players don't look motivated by McCoist = McCoist is atrocious.

Players have total backlash against PLG = Barry Ferguson's fault.

McCoist finishes second 21pts behind but well ahead of third after 10pts deduction and three losses in four after administration = McCoist is never a manager

PLG is 17 points behind at the half point and struggling to stay in 2nd = needs more time

McCoist out of cups early = can't manage

PLG out of cups at first go including to first division team = players not playing for him, needs a clear out.

McCoist puts in best start to a season in a long time but loses points when troubles begin = bottle merchant who can't manage.

PLG has worst run in Rangers history = players not playing for him, needs more time.

McCoist admits players embarrassing = can't manage or motivate.

PLG says players playing fine even though they playing abysmally = great manager.

McCoist devotes himself to Rangers = shouldn't be near the manager's job.

PLG can't be bothered sorting out his mess and wants away = needs backing by board and more time.

McCoist wins 5-1 = we played shit

PLG draws 2-2 = we were brilliant

Etc, etc.

There is also the made up stuff like:

We ALWAYS play the long ball. The game I saw we played the ball mostly on the ground but couldn't penetrate and so resorted to a long ball now and again. The ball was played on the ground the vast majority of the time and we lost it on the deck far too often. Although we did scrore from a long ball...

Berwick were the dominant team and played better football - which game were people watching? Berwick had some chances but they were mostly on the break with Rangers pushing up - it happens all the time in an unmatched game but the self appointed experts don't seem to know about these basics of football.

McCoist doesn't play kids enough - how many U21's have been playing? How well did they play?

McCoist doesn't make substitutions - yes he does.

McCoist doesn't shout at players, but I wasn't at the game - then how do you know?

McCoist doesn't need a pre-season - then why do all other managers go on about the importance of them?

We should be beating all the teams 10-0 - in what league does that ever happen?

There is a load of this stuff spouted and very little of it is near the truth or reality and none of it seems reasonable.

People are judging him on last season where no known manager could expect to win the title under the circumstances. Hell, you could have given PLG a 30pt addition and he still wouldn't have won. Give him a 10 point deduction and who knows where we would have finished - add in a 75% wage cut and it's clear we wouldn't have fulfilled the season with PLG and so would have a good chance of finishing last.

We're in a totally new position with almost a whole new squad and no preseason and people are sniping every five minutes while he doesn't lose a game. Yes he could do better but let the guy warm up first. It's like signing a new player who hasn't played all summer and then criticising everything he does before five minutes are past, whether he's any good or not.

There are no people who think Ally is untouchable but there are quite a few who would like to give him a proper go before making a judgement.

A manager is rarely responsible for individual games, once the team are our there, there is not much he can do till the next game. That makes him responsible for the season as a whole or even each half season. That gives him enough time to have influence. Even those that play FM should know this. If management is a game of chess then each game is a move or two. But you don't judge a chess player on each move, you judge him on the match. A manager's match is the season.