Rangers Women - Games and Updates

Well City and Hibs are head and shoulders above the rest, Hibs this season, City in general. As I said above, City usually does an "Old Firm" and collects all the talented players from all over Scotland. You'd have to do some serious convincing to get quality players to Rangers, and all those we have are part-timers, students and school girls. Hence there also is a great flux every season with most teams. Perhaps we can motivate people like Amy MacDonald to sponsor our ladies team next season and along with that attract some better players who will then stay on for more than 6 or 12 months.

Edited by der Berliner

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Straight from https://twitter.com/RFC_Ladies

Rangers Ladies ‏@RFC_Ladies 16. Jan.

Congrats to our u12s who braved the conditions to progress in the cup against a boys team a league above.

CY20KaAWUAAtI9r.jpg

Rangers Ladies ‏@RFC_Ladies

Exclusive: New signings Laura Hamilton & Rhianna Tweedie speak to #RLFC media at Ibrox. More to follow!

CY7s68xW8AEd3qY.jpg

Exclusive: Ashley Nicolson, Steph Briggs and Jill Paterson also sign contracts with the club. It's all go here at Ibrox!

Exclusive: Danica Dalziel & Kirsty McLaughlin both pen deals at #RLFC. Exciting day here at Ibrox. Welcome to the club #RangersFamily.

There was also the small matter of the brand new squad photo for 2016! Ambitious year ahead for us all.

CY759G0WcAE23At.jpg

Ladies Sign Up Seven

Saturday, 23 January 2016, 15:00 by Mark Hendry

THE SWPL pre-season is beginning to take shape for Rangers Ladies with the arrival of several new faces, and some familiar ones.

Manager Kevin Murphy wasted little time in strengthening his squad after a disappointing sixth-place finish last season.

In total, seven players have put pen to paper with the possibility of Gers adding to that number in the coming weeks.

Right-sided player Rhianna Tweedie signs from Dunfermline Athletic and former Celtic goal keeper Laura Hamilton has also joined up. Hamilton has been capped at Scotland under-19’s level.

More recognisable to Rangers fans will be the re-introduction of Jill Paterson, Kirsty McLaughlin and Steph Briggs who have all had brief stints with the Blue Belles in recent times.

Ashley Nicolson joins from Spartans and teammate Danica Dalziel also signed on the dotted line as Gers look to improve on last year’s position in the league table.

Jill Paterson is delighted to be back at the club she left three years ago and is determined to grab the opportunity with both hands to make it successful.

The defender admits her time at Stirling Uni was enjoyable last season but she is excited at the prospect of donning the Blue jersey at Rangers again this year.

She said: “It feels really good to be back here. I was here initially three or four years ago so it’s great to be back. I had a good year in Stirling last year but it’s good to have this opportunity again”.

Paterson also believes that having familiar faces around the team has been beneficial to her bedding in again and feeling part of the set-up straight away.

She continued: “There’s a few girls that I already know, for instance Lisa (Swanson) is still here so it’s really nice to have some familiar faces around”.

Former Pars player Rhianna Tweedie is also anxious to get started and admits she has found the step up in class to be challenging. However, she echoed Paterson’s sentiments, explaining that everyone around the club is desperate to get off to a good start and improve on last term.

She said: “It’s been a big step up from the first division for me but all the girls have been great, everyone has been welcoming and I’ve really enjoyed myself so far.

“Everyone seems to be pushing each other on for the new challenge and hopefully we can finish a bit higher up than last season”.

Elsewhere, Gers central defender Amy Lindsay has joined Hamilton on loan for 2016.

220116_ladies_01.jpg

http://rangers.co.uk/news/ladies/ladies-sign-seven/

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Great To Be Back

ANOTHER season of women’s football is almost upon us and club representatives were on duty as the new Scottish Women’s Premier League season was launched at Hampden Park on Friday.

Gers defender Rachael O’Neill was in attendance along with her counterparts from around the league ahead of the mid-March kick-off.

Read more here ... http://rangers.co.uk/news/ladies/great-to-be-back-8/

Ladies Double Signing

RANGERS LADIES have completed the double signing of Scotland international Rhonda Jones and former Hearts captain Shelley Faughnan.

The pair join up in perfect time for the beginning of the new football season, with the first game coming this Sunday in the League Cup, away to Hamilton.

Jones is a former Glasgow City and Doncaster Belles defender with 117 international caps for Scotland. With Gers currently possessing a relatively young squad, Jones’ experience is sure to be invaluable for the current crop of Light Blues.

Rhonda’s senior career has spanned 20 years where she has played all over the world including the USA, England and here in Scotland for numerous clubs.

Shelley Faughnan herself does not lack experience. The former Jambos midfielder, who also played for Spartans, is no stranger to the SWPL and will be looking to bring her leadership skills to the fold to help with Rangers’ efforts to finish as high up in the table as possible.

http://rangers.co.uk/news/ladies/ladies-double-signing/

Shelly Joins The Gers

Sunday, 28 February 2016, 08:30 by Mark Hendry

New Blue Shelley Faughnan has exclusively told rangers.co.uk of her excitement at joining Rangers Ladies and admitted that her move is a big step up in her career.

Faughnan, who captained Hearts in the SWPL last season, thanked her former club for the progression she made under the Edinburgh side but maintains that she has made the right decision to leave for bigger and better things at Rangers.

She said: “It was a difficult decision leaving Hearts. The coaching staff and the girls were great and I can’t thank them enough for helping me enjoy my football again.

“But this is a massive step up. I could see that after my first training session the tempo and standard of training was unbelievable. I didn’t realise just how much talent Rangers have.

“I know I’ll need to work extremely hard to push for my position within the squad but I think that’s a great thing to have players fighting for their position. The talent around me at Rangers will hopefully push me as a player and I hope to do the same”.

As far as what she will add to Rangers, Faughnan believes she will bring a strength to the midfield and a leaders’ mentality.

“I think anyone who knows me will say I will bring strength and grit to the team. I’ll hopefully also bring experience and that is important to have a balance of youth and experience.”

With Rangers bringing in seven new players in January, Faughnan has had to adapt quickly to her new surroundings. But she insists that her new teammates have made her feel welcome in the short space of time she’s been around.

She said: “I’m absolutely delighted to be a part of this club. Everyone at the club has made me feel really welcome. I’m now just buzzing for the season to start.

“After my first week in training I knew this was the club for me. The standard was so high and I really enjoyed that. It’s a very professional set up and the staff look after you as an individual.

“For me personally I always want to win. I think we have a great group of talented players who will really challenge the top teams”.

Faughnan also praised her new manager Kevin Murphy, claiming she was never sold on the club by Murphy; because he didn’t need to.

“Kevin has been great ever since he first spoke to me. He didn’t put me under any pressure to sign and he didn’t need to sell it to me.

“After the first week at training I just knew this was the club I wanted to be at”.

http://rangers.co.uk/news/ladies/shelly-joins-gers/

Rhonda Thrilled To Sign

Rangers newest recruit Rhonda Jones has revealed that it took only one night with her new teammates to convince her to sign for her childhood favourites.

36-year-old Jones had visions of retirement from the game before she was contacted by Gers boss Kevin Murphy and convinced to take part in a training session at New Tinto Park.

She said: “To be honest I’d had grand plans of retirement since the end of last season. Kevin contacted me early to tempt me out of this and eventually I met up to speak to him.

“After one training session I was so impressed by the set up that I agreed to sign that night.”

The central defender has played for several different clubs throughout her career but the opportunity to pull on the light blue jersey was one she could not pass up. And there’s a special person in her life that is even more excited about the move than she is.

She said: “I’m delighted to have joined Rangers and extremely excited about the season ahead.

“I’ve been impressed with the structure at Rangers. It’s clear to see that there’s a strong team of dedicated staff taking the team in the right direction.

“There’s only one person happier than myself and that’s my Dad. I walked into the house with my Rangers kit on to tell him I’d signed and I don’t think he has stopped smiling since.”

The former Doncaster, Glasgow City and Hibernian defender believes she can provide advice and help for the younger talent in the squad and says her international experience will stand her in good stead for the season ahead.

She continued: “I believe my years in the national team will help me bring more experience and leadership to the team. I get satisfaction out of seeing others improve and develop their game.

“I can help motivate and inspire other players to be the best they can be.”

“It was a very youthful team last season and although the young players were good quality, I believe it’s essential to have a good mix of youth and experience in order to be successful.

“This has been the managers’ priority this season and I believe the players he’s recruited will create the right mix and push the team forward this season.”

Rhonda retired from international football three years ago but joked that there’s one scenario that could entice her back into the fold.

“I’m honoured to have been a part of the national team for so long and hope that I’ve inspired the upcoming group of talented youngsters to follow their dreams like I did.

“But if Anna (Signeul) suddenly finds herself struggling for a centre-back in a playoff against Spain, I suppose I’d have another crack at it”.

http://rangers.co.uk/news/ladies/rhonda-thrilled-sign/

League Cup Duty, as Rangers Ladies took on Hamilton Accies at New Tinto Park

CcUA4XKXEAAJoqX.jpg

1' GOAL! Kirsty McLaughlin opens the scoring! Rangers 1-0 Hamilton

With only 34 seconds gone, new signing McLaughlin opens her Gers account with a great goal.

18' GOAL! Clare Adams makes it 2-0 to Rangers.

22' Chance for Accies as they're through on goal but the shot is skewed wide. Still 2-0 Rangers.

33' The ball is in the back of the net for Rangers but it won't count as the Accies keeper was judged to have been fouled. Still 2-0.

HALF TIME: Rangers 2-0 Hamilton Academical

The teams are back out and Hamilton will get the game underway again.

60' Fifteen minutes gone in the second half and the score is still 2-0 Rangers.

70' GOAL! Lisa Swanson makes it 3-0 to Rangers.

73' GOAL! Chantelle Brown gets on the scoresheet with a fourth for Rangers. 4-0.

74' Goal Accies! The visitors pull one back. 4-1.

83' GOAL! Katey Turner makes it 5-1 to Rangers.

FULL TIME: Rangers 5-1 Hamilton Academical

Rangers comfortably through to the next round of the League Cup. Match report and reaction to follow.

https://twitter.com/RFC_Ladies

Lisa Swanson ‏@Lisa10__

Buzzing to be in the next round of the League Cup after beating Hamilton 5-1

Kevin Murphy ‏@kevinmurphy06

Delighted for all players & staff after a good win today. They have all worked so hard in pre season. Now time to recover and we go again

Chantelle Brown ‏@chassy_brown

Won 5-1 against Hamilton happy to score one but more importantly into the next round of the league cup

katey turner ‏@kateyturner96

Not my best game today but glad to progress to the next round of the cup with a win over hamilton

CaN7Lf5WcAIQmbw.jpg

Edited by der Berliner