The New Durrant

The need for 'new' as a prefix is simply lazy journalism, an affliction of pandemic proportions if you suffer from it in Germany too. I understand why fans do it, but professional writers should be able to describe a player without resorting to it.

Lazy journalism yes, but in some case it's a way to hark back to better times and look for a link to the past. "we were a great side when we had XYZ in the team. ABC is the new XYZ" kinda thing...

And he came from Shettleston Juniors!

I remember him signing for Rangers, then was left to play for the Juniors till the end of the season.

Not often I checked the reports on the Junior League.

About McKay, does his contract run out at the end of the season?

And he came from Shettleston Juniors!

Remember watching Bobby (Rabbie) Russell when he was an 11yr old playing for the primary school team and even as a 9yr old i knew he was something special. He was my first real life hero and when he finally made the grade i was always so proud to tell folk i knew him back when....

Lazy journalism yes, but in some case it's a way to hark back to better times and look for a link to the past. "we were a great side when we had XYZ in the team. ABC is the new XYZ" kinda thing...

I politely disagree. Successful teams come in all shapes and sizes, there is no identikit for a great team. So when writers say we were good when we had XYZ we need a new XYZ they are doing all of us a diservice. Some great teams are built on defence, some on width, some on attacking from deep, some on possession football, some on counter attack, some on a big man up front, some on speed etc. When a football journalist writes a piece saying Rangers need a new Gascoigne or new Boyd or a new Jelavic etc they are misleading us or showing a lack of understanding about the game. Or are just being lazy.

They can compare two strikers, or two midfielders or whatever from different eras but it proves nothing. It's okay for us to do it on a forum or over a drink but professional writers should be viewing football differently.

I politely disagree. Successful teams come in all shapes and sizes, there is no identikit for a great team. So when writers say we were good when we had XYZ we need a new XYZ they are doing all of us a diservice. Some great teams are built on defence, some on width, some on attacking from deep, some on possession football, some on counter attack, some on a big man up front, some on speed etc. When a football journalist writes a piece saying Rangers need a new Gascoigne or new Boyd or a new Jelavic etc they are misleading us or showing a lack of understanding about the game. Or are just being lazy.

They can compare two strikers, or two midfielders or whatever from different eras but it proves nothing. It's okay for us to do it on a forum or over a drink but professional writers should be viewing football differently.

A fair point, and I must admit I hadn't considered it in those terms, you are quite correct.

Durrant was probably my first Rangers hero. Amazing talent IMO. The timing of his runs to break beyond his strikers was impeccable, he had pace and had a vision that you rarely see.

I am biased but I actually felt that he had the ability to be every bit as good as Gazza. He simply ghosted past people. His goal in the Skol Cup final against Aberdeen was almost the perfect midfielder's goal.

That day at Pittodrie was a devastating day not just for Rangers fans but also for Scottish football because Durrant was, without doubt in my opinion, going to carry the national team on his shoulders - and he had some decent supporting cast too.

And yet the sheep, in their infinite wisdom, somehow made Simpson out to be the victim and Durrant out to be the accused. Unbelievable stuff.

Colin Stein, Ian Durrant, Tom Forsyth and Bobby Russell I am off for a wet dream. Add Willie Johnstone Jim Baxter and Willie Henderson, and I am going to add one of the greatest players I have seen, Jimmy Johnstone. Sorry bears Jimmy Johnstone was one of the best Scottish players ever in my time. I hope these young guy's can get near to the level of the players I have mentioned.

It's so insulting reading an article that's separated in 1 line paragraphs. The general readership of such publications must be not far off retardation. I read a lot yet I find it quite difficult and repugnant reading these hideous pieces of trash.

But regarding this article, it's a lot of ill informed shite. They are totally different players. As well comparing McKay with a referee.