The disparity in financial resources between Scotland and England is something we better get used too. We've lost Danny Wilson and I'd add Rhys McCabe to that now too, Celtic lost that boy Islam Feruz, Dundee Utd lost Scott Allan, Aberdeen lost Fraser Fyvie and Kilmarnock lost Matthew Kennedy last week too. The thinking in England just now is to bring in promising young players in their teens rather than wait for them to mature elsewhere. I'm not sure it's the right idea but the problem for us is they can afford too take the chance, indeed it's really no gamble at all for them. It wouldn't surprise me if McKay doesn't sign another contract, that's not a reflection on him, I know nothing about him, just my take on the footballing economy these days.
If what you say is true then we had better stop rearing young players - there would be no point at all. Surely now though, there will be no need for us to sell, like Killie and Aberdeen. Keep promising youths on long contracts and cash in when it suits US.

Does it really matter what contract he is on, if the big EPL come a calling with their fat wallets it's hard for the young lads to turn them down. I hope he stays for a few years more but I won't get all bothered if he doesn't, would rather have somebody who wants to play for Rangers than somebody who wants away at the first chance they get.

Does it really matter what contract he is on, if the big EPL come a calling with their fat wallets it's hard for the young lads to turn them down. I hope he stays for a few years more but I won't get all bothered if he doesn't, would rather have somebody who wants to play for Rangers than somebody who wants away at the first chance they get.

Well having him on a contract could at least mean we'd get something close to a decent fee.

This a bit man-lovey, but I can't get enough of the way McKay moves. He just glides over the pitch. At 17, to have effortless athleticism on your side is a huge bonus; it gets him space, gives him time. And playing against knackered defences, like yesterday when he came on, means he can have that bit extra time to pick out a pass.

The only question is, will he continue to develop, and I can see no reason why not. Whether it's with us, of course...

It's got to be a priority for Charles and Ally to get this kid signed ASAP. For those who thought Gregg Wylde had Talent,well

this kid has it way over him(big time) in every department.

If what you say is true then we had better stop rearing young players - there would be no point at all. Surely now though, there will be no need for us to sell, like Killie and Aberdeen. Keep promising youths on long contracts and cash in when it suits US.

Making sure they are signed to longer contracts is the key, but for clubs like us that's a gamble. A player at 16 might look like he's destined for the top but come 21 things haven't worked out; how do you make that judgement? Imagine the outcry if we'd allowed John Fleck to leave at 17, who could have predicted his career trajectory then. Unfortunately promising youths don't always fulfil their promise, but long contracts need to be fulfilled and there is a limit to how many players we can have under contract at any one time.

Youth football, not just for us but for the whole country, needs completely rebuilt. If all promising youngsters can be induced away with little actual return for the club that developed them then why bother? You can't force a 16 or 17 year old to sign a contract, especially if an avaricious agent or idiot father is whispering in his ear. There is a good argument to be made that youth football and development should be kept separate from professional clubs.

Well having him on a contract could at least mean we'd get something close to a decent fee.

The other team will put in a low offer to unsettle the lad, contact his agent with promises of untold fortunes nobody will agree but the lad will want away. Job done by the EPL side they then sit and wait till the last 6 months of his contract get him on a Pre-contract and it goes to the tribunal to decide a compensation.

Which will be very low for McKay.

Making sure they are signed to longer contracts is the key, but for clubs like us that's a gamble. A player at 16 might look like he's destined for the top but come 21 things haven't worked out; how do you make that judgement? Imagine the outcry if we'd allowed John Fleck to leave at 17, who could have predicted his career trajectory then. Unfortunately promising youths don't always fulfil their promise, but long contracts need to be fulfilled and there is a limit to how many players we can have under contract at any one time.

Youth football, not just for us but for the whole country, needs completely rebuilt. If all promising youngsters can be induced away with little actual return for the club that developed them then why bother? You can't force a 16 or 17 year old to sign a contract, especially if an avaricious agent or idiot father is whispering in his ear. There is a good argument to be made that youth football and development should be kept separate from professional clubs.

Very good point and i never looked at it this way before- I think its too easy to look at the events in isolation, and I for one am guilty of that. For every individual that makes it there is a number who don't have the goods.

Don't know how it would work, but you could go down the road of America where the young player is contracted to the League and the club pays his wages. Therefore any dealings have to go through the League first.

This a bit man-lovey, but I can't get enough of the way McKay moves.

It's just handsome isn't it. I think it was his first touch yesterday when he just cut through 2 defenders at incredible speed and I just couldn't help but love this.