Don't know how it would work, but you could go down the road of America where the young player is contracted to the League and the club pays his wages. Therefore any dealings have to go through the League first.

We joke about the American system but it has a lot going for it. You can't just impose it on football though, for a start the clubs would never agree. But devolving youth development away from the clubs I think makes a lot of sense. How you make that work, how you make it fair, how you ensure quality and how you manage all that I don't know. Ultimately schools should be more involved, it's developing children after all and it is preparing people for a career. How you fit that into a busy curriculum I don't know but for me schools are the missing ingredient in all this.

I was interested to read that the Glasgow swimmer who won the silver medal (Jamieson?) at the Olympics attended Glasgow Council run Bellahouston 'School of Sport'. If they can produce Olympic swimmers they should be able to produce footballers. Easier said than done of course.

Whilst McKay has been very pleasing on the eye and a ray of light in the darkness I find myself more impressed overall by Lewis McLeod.

I think McLeod had kept under the radar somewhat.....

He appears to be just going about his job - nothing too flash, just doing what he needs to do, and doing it VERY well. The type of role that McKay plays, tends to draw a lot more focus - he has more of an impact when he comes on.

So far, I've been very impressed with both...

I think McLeod had kept under the radar somewhat.....

He appears to be just going about his job - nothing too flash, just doing what he needs to do, and doing it VERY well. The type of role that McKay plays, tends to draw a lot more focus - he has more of an impact when he comes on.

So far, I've been very impressed with both...

Totally different types of player thought Lewis was excellent as well yesterday, yes he played some stray passes but didn't let it get him down just got stuck in to win the ball back. You need the likes of Lewis to win the ball and let Barrie do his stuff.

Totally different types of player thought Lewis was excellent as well yesterday, yes he played some stray passes but didn't let it get him down just got stuck in to win the ball back. You need the likes of Lewis to win the ball and let Barrie do his stuff.

McLeod has been excellent....the media attention (and on here) has mainly been about McKay - due to the role he plays.

I feel that what McLeod has been doing has been rather underated by many.

Youth football, not just for us but for the whole country, needs completely rebuilt. If all promising youngsters can be induced away with little actual return for the club that developed them then why bother? You can't force a 16 or 17 year old to sign a contract, especially if an avaricious agent or idiot father is whispering in his ear. There is a good argument to be made that youth football and development should be kept separate from professional clubs.

Excellent point, but good luck persuading football clubs to give up a revenue stream!

Don't know how it would work, but you could go down the road of America where the young player is contracted to the League and the club pays his wages. Therefore any dealings have to go through the League first.

A good, imaginative point - except we'd have to go through the SPL (if we were in it) to sell a player! I can't say as that is very attractive, right now.

It's just handsome isn't it. I think it was his first touch yesterday when he just cut through 2 defenders at incredible speed and I just couldn't help but love this.

Someone else! Thank the Lord...I have been regretting my candour about McKay all day.

Common sense would lead you to think it would be handy to give promising young lads a contract that extends AS LONG as possible doesn't it.

It would certainly make sense in some cases, but only really from a player value point of view because a long contract won't stop them from leaving if English clubs come sniffing and offering them bigger wages. We gave Greg Wylde a long contract on very good wages for his age and he was out the door quicker than you could say "like a rat jumping off a sinking ship". He left to help the club out of course. :sneaky::whistling:

It would certainly make sense in some cases, but only really from a player value point of view because a long contract won't stop them from leaving if English clubs come sniffing and offering them bigger wages. We gave Greg Wylde a long contract on very good wages for his age and he was out the door quicker than you could say "like a rat jumping off a sinking ship". He left to help the club out of course. :sneaky::whistling:

Ness and McCabe also got long new deals after breaking into the first team.