A decent coach, foreign or otherwise, will have little to no impact on the national team unless and until there is a compleete overhaul of the game from top to bottom and vice versa.

Start at grass roots and try to re-create the game. The state of Scottis football is such that we now need to realise that we will lose a generation - but if we truly want to compete again internationally we need to realise that and put a LONG-TERM plan into action.

It took the French 20 YEARS for their plan to come to fruition in 1998 and it took the Spaniards a similar amount of time to see theirs come to fruition too.

Our problem is we will also be far too reactive instead of pro-active. We will follow others... but the problem there is that those same nations are already moving forward.

100% agree with this Craig, however, I really do feel that we should do better. Serbia looked awful, in fact one of the few international sides that's perhaps technically inferior to ourselves.

Levein's ego means our best striker is not even in the squad. Fletcher is no world beater but a damn site better than Miller who looked worse for wear today. We can do better but we're no means at the qualifying stage yet. Glorious failure is our best chance.

Rhodes, Mackie and maybe Forrest should have been on from the start. Kenny Miller's career has took a violent downward spiral for the last couple of years, why he is even considered for the strikers role defies belief no wonder it finished 0-0.

It's time to give someone else a chance and stick Miller on the bench, but then again it's too late now.

Here is a list of clubs Levein has managed, and the "honours" he has won as a manager.

1997–2000 Cowdenbeath

2000–2004 Heart of Midlothian

2004–2006 Leicester City

2006 Raith Rovers

2006–2009 Dundee United

Honours:

Hearts

SPL Manager of the Month: Dec 2001, Apr 2003

Dundee United

SPL Manager of the Month: Nov 2006, Mar 2007, Oct 2007, Nov 2009

Scottish League Cup Runner-up: 2007–08

That made me burst out laughing.

A change should be made now because its still early in the group and recoverable.

We're never going to get Sir Alex or Moyes but any of the below with Gary McAllister as an assistant would be huge improvement.

Strachan

Walter

Joe Jordan

George Graham

Billy Davies

Paul Lambert

Or go down south:

Kevin Keegan

Terry Veneables

Harry Redknapp

Id also look abroad again. Verti McVogts was a disaster but thats probably more to do with working with the SFA. He won Euro 96 with the Germans so cant be too bad.

A decent coach, foreign or otherwise, will have little to no impact on the national team unless and until there is a compleete overhaul of the game from top to bottom and vice versa.

Start at grass roots and try to re-create the game. The state of Scottis football is such that we now need to realise that we will lose a generation - but if we truly want to compete again internationally we need to realise that and put a LONG-TERM plan into action.

It took the French 20 YEARS for their plan to come to fruition in 1998 and it took the Spaniards a similar amount of time to see theirs come to fruition too.

Our problem is we will also be far too reactive instead of pro-active. We will follow others... but the problem there is that those same nations are already moving forward.

Whilst I do agree full heartedly with you Craig, Otto Renneghal (sp? - too pished to bother googling) took a team of complete mediocrity to glory in the Euro's, though as a keen advocate of total football, playing such tactics immediately denigrates such a victory.

Plus they also had a far better team than we do. But I think the point I'm trying to make is that a coach can make a shite team successful. Look at Martin O'Neil, he's made a career out of it. But again, he also plays shite football so I think I'll shut up and get back to my ciders and watching Breaking Bad

PS - As I think I alluded to earlier, a complete overhaul of the Scottish game has obviously been required for the last 20 years, but it isn't going to happen. So the only logical option at the moment is to get the most talented manager possible. And there are very few British managers worth looking at due to the archaic approach of the UK game.

But at the end of the day we had bottom end epl/chamionship players playing against players that play for top EPL/Serie A/Bundesliga clubs today so maybe we cannot expect too much

I also found it quite amusing when McLeish, the worst manager of all time, said Serbia had no game changers compared to us when they had £8m Tosic on the pitch, twice as good as any Scottish player

Edited by Daniel Amokachi

I don't get the view that we should be beating Serbia, not even at home. Their squad is far superior than outs and they have a better head coach than us.

What pissed me off the most about yesterday was the defensive tactics. Go for it, get he crowd bouncing which would've lifted te players. But no, he decides to sit back, let Serbia keep the ball which deflated the crowd.

And then the subs. Made to late.

He's a clown into the bargain and the sooner we get rid of him and his amateur tactics and views the better.

Bring back Walter. Yes, he's defensively minded too but at least his teams have fight, commitment and a will to win.

I don't get the view that we should be beating Serbia, not even at home. Their squad is far superior than outs and they have a better head coach than us.

And then the subs. Made to late.

Agree with these two bits. Only watched second half so cant comment on the rest.

It is frustrating as for the first time in ages we have a decent squad of young and experienced players but alas we have a manager that makes Walter look like Kevin Keegan (circa Newcastle first time round). Levein needs to believe in his players more and the time to gain points is at the start of a campaign Craig. Have you ever heard of momentum? Get wee Billy Davies in there now