Garry O'Connor

I can't see why just because players played for another SPL team means they are not good enough.

Goram and Kenny Miller played for Hibs, Gough and Druncan for Dundee Utd, McCoist for St Johnstone, John Brown from Dundee, Ian Ferguson from St Mirren and Davie Cooper for Clydebank. Then there's Caniggia and Novo for Dundee, Boyd for Kilmarnock and Ian Murray for Hibs, Davie Robertson and Stevie Wright for Aberdeen. Weren't they good enough?

Brown and Thomson play for Hibs and they are two of the most outstanding young talents in the country. Dundee Utd and Aberdeen produced fantastic talent for years.

Celtic are flying high and three former Hibs players in their squad.

You have to start your career somewhere and if we're signing 30 year olds from these clubs then I could understand the point, but not the youngsters.

Far from making yourself, closer to these teams, it is easily argued that cherrypicking from the other teams separates from them by make you stronger and them weaker.

This also keeps the money in Scotland allowing SPL teams to buy from lower divisions which gives them money to invest in youth.

Spending tens of millions of pounds of Scottish money abroad has never been good for Scottish football as whole.

There has been a snobbery against Scottish players that has been around for a while and caused the SPL to be flooded with average foreign players no better than their Scottish counterparts and thankfully that has been changing recently, Hearts appart.

Lets pick players on merit, not nationality or standard of their previous team.

He does seem to be a bit of a liability sometimes.

I'd take Pressley for free and on a modest wage (say 12 grand a week) for a year and a half.

aye, my objection to neilson isn't anything other than the fact he's a horrible football player. he got sent off three games in a row at the beginning of the season, i think, and was made to look like a right eejit by left wingers four games in a row (that i seen).

i think even calling him a footballer is to overstretch the definition of the word.

;)

I can't see why just because players played for another SPL team means they are not good enough.

Goram and Kenny Miller played for Hibs, Gough and Druncan for Dundee Utd, McCoist for St Johnstone, John Brown from Dundee, Ian Ferguson from St Mirren and Davie Cooper for Clydebank. Then there's Caniggia and Novo for Dundee, Boyd for Kilmarnock and Ian Murray for Hibs, Davie Robertson and Stevie Wright for Aberdeen. Weren't they good enough?

Brown and Thomson play for Hibs and they are two of the most outstanding young talents in the country. Dundee Utd and Aberdeen produced fantastic talent for years.

Celtic are flying high and three former Hibs players in their squad.

You have to start your career somewhere and if we're signing 30 year olds from these clubs then I could understand the point, but not the youngsters.

Far from making yourself, closer to these teams, it is easily argued that cherrypicking from the other teams separates from them by make you stronger and them weaker.

This also keeps the money in Scotland allowing SPL teams to buy from lower divisions which gives them money to invest in youth.

Spending tens of millions of pounds of Scottish money abroad has never been good for Scottish football as whole.

There has been a snobbery against Scottish players that has been around for a while and caused the SPL to be flooded with average foreign players no better than their Scottish counterparts and thankfully that has been changing recently, Hearts appart.

Lets pick players on merit, not nationality or standard of their previous team.

Fair points Cal, but its ok signing 1 or 2 SPL players but I dont fancy having a side full of them.

I think its fair to say the SPL has went backwards far since these players above. In most of there days SPL could hold there own in europe against almost anyone. As for Caniggia, he was 34 years old at the time though.

Was this not what happened years and years ago though, where Rangers and Celtic took the best of Scottish talent from other clubs. Those other clubs then brought on more young players who in turn moved to the bigger clubs and reinvested some of the cash here rather than it going to foreign clubs and agents.

The SPL has gone backwards in some respects, but in others I'd say its starting to prosper. I can't remember a time where there's been so many promising young players at other clubs. One thing that the AM and PLG (to a lesser extent) have both proved is that buying foreign players at reasonable expense, doesn't guarantee results. If anything its shown that maybe we should be looking closer to home as we can no longer afford to sign the better quality European lads.