Raman Bhardwaj

What an act of crass stupidity if he is a Rangers supporter. Is he living in a fog? Rangers fans are no longer prepared to accept these kind of slurs. Someone should point out to him the climate has changed.

People who make threats only assist our enemies.

TELLY sports host Raman Bhardwaj called in cops over a “serious threat” after being caught up in a bitter race row with Rangers fans.

The STV presenter sparked fury among Ibrox supporters when he questioned their loyalty to former England captain John Terry.

Raman, 38, posted a series of tweets after Terry announced his retirement from international football in the wake of accusations he made a racist slur towards Anton Ferdinand.

He wrote: “Rangers fans — and only Rangers fans on my timeline — are so quick to defend John Terry. Jeez. I wonder why.”

But his comments were met with claims that he was implying Gers fans are racist.

And he was forced to shut down his account last night.

He said: “I’ve decided to come off Twitter whilst a serious threat I received is investigated by police.”

Raman’s followers had hit out following his initial tweet.

Some even called for STV bosses to launch a probe. Murray Hay said: “That was a silly thing to say clearly showing ur true colours #Unprofessional.”

When Raman was asked to explain his tweet in a bid to avoid confusion, he wrote: “No misinterpretation.

“The only people defending him are Rangers fans and I asked why.”

Later a Gers supporter suggested to Raman: “Clearly some RFC fans also follow Chelsea so I suppose that the most likely reason. Why do you think this is the case?”

Raman replied: “At last, some sanity.

“I was questioning why and people started suggesting a load of nonsense.”

He told his 22,700 followers later: “Happy to make it clear, I was asking a question and wasn’t implying Rangers fans are racist.”

Last night an STV spokeswoman said: “Following Raman being subjected to very threatening messages over social media, we have made representations to the police and they are investigating.”