Raman Bhardwaj

who will have experienced racism both casual and institutional during his life the like of which most of us will never experience,.

I take issue with this. Maybe he has experienced racism, but it's glib to imply that white Scots receive very little.

I could say I'm a victim of racism by people of pakistani origin which is more than casual. I had a girlfriend for three and half years of pakistani origin and we even thought about marriage - however, that would have been difficult as despite us living together for three years, her family could not know about me as she told me she would be disowned and shunned by them due to me being a white, non-muslim. That's is pretty extreme racism. In contrast, all my family and friends welcomed her and also, when I first started going out with her, I was always on the lookout for racist comments against us as a mixed couple and was surprised that we received not one in English. She did have hassle in Urdu in Pakistani shops now an again, so we stopped going into them.

I also have received "casual" racism in England for being Scottish. It all seems like banter and so I just let it go or give as good as I get. I remember reading an article about Scots being racist to the English and found it so ignorant in that I had received pretty much all the type of the abuse they reported that the English get.

There is casual racism everywhere by all colours and creeds, but sometimes it's all about how sensitive your are - and that also affects how it's reported.

Edited by calscot

On a sidenote, there is no English, nor a Scottish, nor an Irish "race", hence there can be no "racism" from one to another. What you do have is nationalism spiralling down to very sinister and bad levels though. You can't tell from his/her looks whether a member of any of the aforementioned people descent from Germanic or Celtic (the one with "k" at the beginning) ancestors and even if, they would still belong to the same European/Caucasian branch of Homo sapiens where intra-racism is not possible.

Edited by der Berliner

On a sidenote, there is no English, nor a Scottish, nor an Irish "race", hence there can be no "racism" from one to another.

Disagree. Racism can be based on nationality. "any distinction, exclusion, restriction or preference based on race, colour, descent, or national or ethnic origin ."

Disagree. Racism can be based on nationality. "any distinction, exclusion, restriction or preference based on race, colour, descent, or national or ethnic origin ."

What's the word for "any distinction, exclusion, restriction or preference" against a football club?

dB is correct in terms of genetic markers and so forth; but to my amazement, the law in the UK allows for racial differentiation between English, Scots and Irish.

I'm sure it's Alex Salmond's fault, somehow. How a legal code can just ignore scientific evidence is totally weird, though.

Apart from the 'look at me' syndrome, I can never understand why these people feel the need to join things such as twitter.

Probably an age thing.

It is not mate. I'm 26, so I guess that would be right in the middle of that twitter target audience. Signed up, got on there twice and never touched it again for finding it indescribably stupid and redundant.