What expectations did you have in July before the season started?

Well you said promotion by the end of the season, we could finish 4th and still win promotion.

What do you want here? All this "good enough" prodding? Said what my expectations were at the start of the season. If we get promoted by x-mas, brilliant. If we manage it in March, fine. If we snatch it at the last day of the season, job done. No-one does care by what margin we won title 46 or 51, whether it was 15 points or a goal-difference. The silverware ends up in the trophy room. There will sure be folk gloating about if we "only" manage promotion via the back-door. The same folk will rant that - should we manage it - it was rather predictable that we'd walk Divi 3 and get promoted by x-mas. So what?

What do you want here? All this "good enough" prodding? Said what my expectations were at the start of the season. If we get promoted by x-mas, brilliant. If we manage it in March, fine. If we snatch it at the last day of the season, job done. No-one does care by what margin we won title 46 or 51, whether it was 15 points or a goal-difference. The silverware ends up in the trophy room. There will sure be folk gloating about if we "only" manage promotion via the back-door. The same folk will rant that - should we manage it - it was rather predictable that we'd walk Divi 3 and get promoted by x-mas. So what?

This is clearly a very different situation to any of our other league title campaigns. Frankly getting out of this division is a small part of the overall aim, which is to get Rangers back to the top of Scottish football winning the top league and competing well in Europe. Yes the novelty of adding a new title to our honours list is good and of course if/when we do it there'll be a celebration, but it's a means to an end more than anything.

Getting three consecutive promotions is incredibly crucial, how long it takes us to start winning the SPL (or whatever form the top flight is in) will depend on the strength of Celtic and how much money is going to be put in, but getting out of the Scottish lower tiers is something that needs done with the utmost urgency and something the resources are clearly there for. If we can only scrape out of the Third Division then how can we have faith in even getting out of the Second and First?

I'm sorry but there's a bigger picture to be looked at here, I haven't even mentioned the style of football.

Edited by simplythebest

Just found this thread....

My expectations?

I thought Rangers would have skooshed the league tbh.

I looked at what 3rd division Gretna achieved in season 2004-05, and made that the benchmark. I didn't think that was being unreasonable.

They finished 20 points ahead of 2nd place Peterhead, scoring 130 goals along the way.

I thought we could do better than that. In 36 games Gretna dropped just 10 points all season, after 7 games we've dropped nine points already?

I definitely set my sights too high. :facepalm:

Just found this thread....

My expectations?

I thought Rangers would have skooshed the league tbh.

I looked at what 3rd division Gretna achieved in season 2004-05, and made that the benchmark. I didn't think that was being unreasonable.

They finished 20 points ahead of 2nd place Peterhead, scoring 130 goals along the way.

I thought we could do better than that. In 36 games Gretna dropped just 10 points all season, after 7 games we've dropped nine points already?

I definitely set my sights too high. :facepalm:

That was not Gretna's first attempt at the league though.

Firstly I was just happy the club was going to play football, second feeling obviously was we NEED to win this league by a proper margin and demolish all these wee teams game after game. Then I saw almost the entire team leaving and I soft- pedaled these expectations obviously, still thinking we have to win the league comfortably. Well...