Losing Our Religion

Going to Ibrox to re-enact the Battle of the Boyne am I? This muppet is our Phil 3 names. Stick it up your arse mate.

do you want rangers supporters prosecuted while they get off scot free for similar offences? that's not acceptable to me

More like losing the plot than the religion. The more I read about us being chased for sectarianism or bigotry or the like because we e.g. sing pro-loyalist or -British- or -Protestant songs ... while they get off with their terrorist-minded bile, the more I wonder what goes on over there. It utterly defies belief.

As for losing one's religion. That should be put into context. Protestantism will not be chased out of the country or whatnot. "We", since we are neck-deep into this for one reason or another, feel being victimized by certain quarters in society. Will your "average" Scot feel the same? Will he get victimized because of his/her religion? I would assume that this is not the case. Maybe I am utterly wrong, but IMHO, politicians (as well as some diehard Hooped Horrors and their hangers-on) have made us a fine showcase and milk our plight as well as our "apparent über-Protestant" behaviour to their best abilities these days. As I said above, this is way over the top, not least when the Hooped Horrors get away with anti-British as well as illegal behaviour week in and week out. What makes me wonder too is the constant lament about this on the boards, but hardly anything is being done in person. Blogs and board articles will not change a thing.

Why did I write "we"? I grew up in East Germany, 20 years. No church-going, and less atheist indoctrination as some may think. But a rather objective view on all things religion and rest assured, monotheism is one of the worst things humanity had managed to come up with in its evolution. I'd take a Fortuna, Isis, Apollon, Hecate, Wyrd, Shiva et al all day long ahead of what Christianity or Islam or Jewism can and did offer.

do you want rangers supporters prosecuted while they get off scot free for similar offences? that's not acceptable to me

Said nothing of the sort mate. I don't like McMurdo's work is all. Politics and religion are part of Rangers and our history, I don't need him to tell me that or what I should think about it.

Edit: I'll admit I skimmed the piece - not inerested..

Edited by Cotter

Bill McMurdo is hitting the nail on the head in this article with regards to the new legislation and the reverse psychology involved.

They've been printing "THESE WILL FUCKING KILL YOU" and variations of that on cigarette and tobacco packaging for a long, long time now and it doesn't stop people buying the killer product. Anti-drugs campaigns have been around since well before any of us were even born, but they generally have the opposite from desired effect.

It's quite widely accepted that telling a child or young teenager not to do something will result in them doing it, so I don't really understand the point of the new legislation considering the amount of youngsters getting into the footy every year.

I think that's maybe where Bill McMurdo stops short a bit in the article because it's possible that the actual idea of the new legislation is to create MORE hate and MORE divide in our society.

It doesn't always cross our minds to think about this sort of thing, but there might actually be people in very high places who specifically want our society divided. The idea of everyone getting along famously and all being friends would be repulsive to such people.

Divide and Conquer.

What utter shite!

I am well over 40 and remember very well the tragic frequency of the bloody, bloody murders perpetrated by and on members of both communities just across the water. To pretend that Glasgow was somehow isolated and insulated from that state of affairs is naive at best. The writer here has a not-so-hidden agenda and the vast majority of real football fans don't wan't the likes of him to have anything to do with the club whatsoever. We need him to stop pretending to be a football fan and perhaps to join a battle re-enactment society instead.

I only read the first half then wondered if he fancied including the domestic violence statistics for after Old Firm games. It certainly does/did not end with a release of tension in the game and then all the men go home happy.

Back in the days when men were men.

I'm seriously rolling my eyes here.

This is the problem with agenda's...you can get so wrapped up in defending your faith/politics that you become the other side of the coin. I'm afraid this kind of rhetoric does nobody any good and least of all Rangers.

Nobody is trying to take anybodies religion away from them in Scotland in 2012. If half of the "Proddies" and "Kafflicks" actually practised their faith and attended their place of worship they might find other like minded people to revel in their faith with and leave my football club alone.