31 goals in 30 gmes...

I wouldn't call Fergie a half back as that would presumably mean he was a CENTRE half as he plays in the middle. As we've moved from 2-3-5 to 4-4-2, the centre half is now two and become central defenders ie centre backs in the modern vernacular.

He's more of an inside right to me.

I think for 2-3-5 it was:

.................................Goalkeeper

...........................RightBack...LeftBack

....................RightHalf...CentreHalf...LeftHalf

RightWing......................................................LeftWing

..............InsideRight...CentreForward...InsideLeft

And now for 4-4-2

RightBack...(Right)CentreBack...(Left)CentreBack...LeftBack

.RightWing...(Right)CentreMid...(Left)CentreMid...LeftWing

....................(Right)Forward...(Left)Forward

4-4-2 in old money:

RightBack...(Right)CentreHalf...(Left)CentreHalf...LeftBack

........RightWing...InsideRight...IndsideLeft...LeftWing

................(Centre)Forward...(Centre)Forward

You also had in the days of Alex McDonald a righthalf a midhalf and a lefthalf.

These grouped together were called the halfbacks. I think that is what Elderslie is meaning.

DADO PRSO has as much to offer off the pitch as on it as the big Croatian striker edges towards the end of his Rangers career.

And the biggest beneficiary of his knowledge and advice should be a fellow striker - Kris Boyd.

Arguments continue to rage about the hitman who is now the second top SPL scorer of all-time behind Henrik Larsson, after Boyd's goal against his former club Kilmarnock on Sunday.

Some fans are happy with his phenomenal return that has seen him bag 30 goals in just 31 starts since joining Rangers 11 months ago from Rugby Park in a well spent �£450,000.

Others, and it is believed his manager Paul Le Guen is firmly in this camp, say that Boyd is lazy and doesn't do enough for the team. Basically, the argument is that if he doesn't score, he doesn't do anything else.

First of all I have to say that is harsh. I was never a player who did that much outside the box, although I could hold the ball up and bring people into play, something Kris still has to work hard on.

But look at his contribution in Europe this season. He supplied Barry Ferguson with a lovely back heel to score against Molde at Ibrox, and he also set-up two goals in Livorno in a game in which I felt he produced his best performance in a Rangers jersey.

The problem is that he doesn't do that often enough, and that's maybe where people have a pop at him for not being the complete all round striker.

What I would say, though, is that he has just split two of the best strikers of recent times in this country - John Hartson and Henrik Larsson.

Both of them hit Celtic in their mid to late 20s and were far more experienced than Boyd. But already he has leapt over the big Welshman, and he has Larsson in his sights.

Boyd has just turned 23, so the boy can improve. It's absolute nonsense for people to suggest he's as good as he ever will be. And that is where Prso can come in. I am sure that all the strikers at the club look up to big Dado for the way he plays the game.

His work-rate, the way he leads the line, is second to none and I feel that he has to try and help big Boyd in many apsects of the game.

Prso has never been prolific, in fact his goal at the weekend was his first for 11 weeks and just his fifth in 35 matches for Rangers.

But do you ever hear anyone complain? Not at all, and that is because of the way he bustles around, drags defenders this way and that, and because of his overall contribution.

If Boyd can add some of those ingredients to his game, coupled with his sheer natural ability in front of goal, he could be one hell of a player.

Yes, there are things he needs to brush up on and at times he looks out of the game for long, long periods. But I am convinced he can improve and I don't think anyone has to tell him when he's had a bad game.

I don't know if he can fill Prso's boots in an overall capacity. It's a hard task, but I don't see the likes of Filip Sebo being able to do that, with the jury still out on the Slovak.

Maybe Rangers will need to look at bringing in another powerful striker to replace Prso when he goes at the end of the season. But, in the meantime, those around him should watch and learn.

Bit long winded I know. Hope Boyd can learn from Prso though

All these years we've been crying out for a penalty box striker to put the ball in the net and when we finally have one (the most prolific Scottish striker in years to say the least!) we aren't happy.

To be fair you have a point but I still think 2 things. 1) He needs the right partner upfront with him -ie a big target man who can hold up play and feed him through. Hateley is the example but a stiker of that class would be out of our budget.

2) Ive just forgot reason 2 coz i went and made coffee. But I think he also needs to improve his all round game if he is to play in this system, and as Gav say his first touch.

BTW can i just ask about this SPL goalscoring record - what year is it recorded from?

Maybe Rangers will need to look at bringing in another powerful striker to replace Prso when he goes at the end of the season. But, in the meantime, those around him should watch and learn.

This is a good point. We keep saying we're crying out for a big striker and with Prso retiring at the end of the season, it could be we are waiting for him to leave before replacing him with someone of the ilk we're looking for. His wage of about 25-30K a week will be freed up and so maybe PLG is saving up his spending money for that time... Maybe that's why he's so coy on spending.

Although he does seem to have thrown away almost 2M on someone I don't think will be around for too long. It's amazing that we're complaining about Boyd who cost us 500k when he's ten times the player Sebo is at the moment at four times the price.

I think that the one player we will be going for in January will definitely be a centre half and PLG may be tempted to spend what he can on one player, rather than spread that money on a few or spend some of the cash earmarked for a big striker.

We seem to be interested in Brown and Thomson but it's difficult to see where they would both fit in the team, unless they replace Ferguson and Clement.

When fit and on form, our midfield doesn't seem too bad at the moment, so although those players are excellent, it's difficult to see them as a priority.

It would however help us to second place by ripping the heart out of the Hibs team.

It's funny though, that they've lost players such as Miller, Caldwell, Riordan, Murray and O'Conner, and they are playing better than they have ever done.

But thinking about this, perhaps Le Guen is holding himself back and building up to a proper team to compete in season two. It's just such a shame that his first tranche of players have made so little impact.

This is a good point. We keep saying we're crying out for a big striker and with Prso retiring at the end of the season, it could be we are waiting for him to leave before replacing him with someone of the ilk we're looking for. His wage of about 25-30K a week will be freed up and so maybe PLG is saving up his spending money for that time... Maybe that's why he's so coy on spending.

Although he does seem to have thrown away almost 2M on someone I don't think will be around for too long. It's amazing that we're complaining about Boyd who cost us 500k when he's ten times the player Sebo is at the moment at four times the price.

But now Ricksen has beed freed and gave us a Million we may not have to wait until summer for Prso replacement. IF Le Guen knows of a replacement it would make more sense to bring him in and get a partnership going with Boyd so that its ready for the start of next season, rather than leaving them to gel 8 games into next year.

As for Sebo being 10 times the player Sebo is, its only coz he has played 10 times the amount.

Boyd has been ten times the player of Sebo since his first game for Rangers and he's been scoring for fun since. Nothing to do with the number of games.

Sebo has yet to show he's any better than Francis Jeffers or Capucho never mind as good or better than Boyd. I suppose he does have one goal but he's the most ordinary looking player we've signed for decent money for a long time.

He may come good, but right now he looks like a bit of a donkey...

Just a thought, but who was the striker we had last season for a few games and he scored a few on his debut - Nieto??

I think he would have been a good player to hang on to and may have been the type of striker we are looking for.

Just a thought, but who was the striker we had last season for a few games and he scored a few on his debut - Nieto??

I think he would have been a good player to hang on to and may have been the type of striker we are looking for.

i wanted to keep nieto but we got rid of him and jeffers and brung in boyd