Ex-Rangers In The Third Divsion

A wee article to keep the blog ticking over

I see what you mean :frown:

Do our youths have any competitive fixtures left to play at all this season?

Having looked at the SFL website I see that the U19's league is now completed ...if you can call it that since half the teams didn't play their full quota of 13 games.

I also notice that the U17's league appears to have been scrapped altogether this season.

You always hear the same nonsense about having to tackle the game at 'grass roots level' when pundits discuss what's wrong with our game.

How can our young players develop without a proper competitive youth structure?

Slightly off topic but I popped into Cliftonhill on Wednesday to watch Albion Rovers play Ayr while working. A shit match but I heard one of the directors talking about the Rovers number 7 who's on loan from Rangers. I didn't catch his name and didn't want to pester the director either. Anyway, the boy looked a poor footballer and didn't really do much to impress at all. Any chance you would know his name Elfideldo?

Also, didn't we have a player on our books named Merenghi a few years back? He was playing for Ayr.

Slightly off topic but I popped into Cliftonhill on Wednesday to watch Albion Rovers play Ayr while working. A shit match but I heard one of the directors talking about the Rovers number 7 who's on loan from Rangers. I didn't catch his name and didn't want to pester the director either. Anyway, the boy looked a poor footballer and didn't really do much to impress at all. Any chance you would know his name Elfideldo?

Also, didn't we have a player on our books named Merenghi a few years back? He was playing for Ayr.

We certainly did

I see what you mean :frown:

Do our youths have any competitive fixtures left to play at all this season?

Having looked at the SFL website I see that the U19's league is now completed ...if you can call it that since half the teams didn't play their full quota of 13 games.

I also notice that the U17's league appears to have been scrapped altogether this season.

You always hear the same nonsense about having to tackle the game at 'grass roots level' when pundits discuss what's wrong with our game.

How can our young players develop without a proper competitive youth structure?

This is another example of where our current setup is failing. We only entered the SFL reserve league. So competitive football above U17's ended with the defeat to Killie in the Youth Cup. There are a group of players like Charlie Telfer, Craig Halkett, Jamie Burrows for example, who are now restricted pretty much to bounce games.

17's still have Glasgow Cup games and Elite Development games start in the NEw Year.

No player on loan unless it was very recent, it was probably Gordon Dick who was released in the summer. He was a decent player coming through the age groups but stopped progressing. Both Ants Marenghi and Adam Hunter joined Ayr United in the summer after being released.