Why do "we" not like him?

Ok maybe I should have said "the majority".

I don't like him because he was brought up where I stay, Castlemilk, he IS Scottish, looks Scottish (tinge of ginger) and talks Scottish.

BUT ............... the good old catholic persuasion got hold of him and now he plays for Oireland.

Ok maybe I should have said "the majority".

I don't like him because he was brought up where I stay, Castlemilk, he IS Scottish, looks Scottish (tinge of ginger) and talks Scottish.

BUT ............... the good old catholic persuasion got hold of him and now he plays for Oireland.

If he chose Scotland then some of the more learned Rangers fans would use this as proof that the SFA was pro-taig and that the Tartan Trannies were all inherently anti-Rangers and that there was a conspiracy led by the Pope to rob Scotland of it's Presbyterainisms and install Alex Salmond as the President of the Republic of Scotland before aligning the independent Scotia in a holy Union with Ireland.

Moral of the story, who gives a fuck which country McCarthy chose to represent, more and more Rangers fans are nonplus when it comes to the national side and you wouldn't get many protests if you said that by choosing direland, he has a better chance of playing in the major tournaments then he would have had if he chose to play for Scotland such is the shambolic state of the national game here. :)

what sense do you mean pace?

hes plenty quick enough and his speed of though is one of his main assets. if your talking a burst of pace over 5 yards or something i dont think that will hold him back.

just as an aside i saw him play a long pass once hes rifled this bal but a players in front of him and it hits his face. it drops back down to his feet so its traveled 12 feet or so really fast. ness kills the ball dead and plays another pass direct to another player immediately. the speed of though and ability to control the ball were just magic.

So he misplaces his pass ? :P

Dont get me wrong, I do happen to think that Ness is a cracking player, but one of the best Scotland has EVER produced ? Not for me. As I say, I didnt think he was very quick at all though that may be because of his gangly nature that I felt that.

But wouldnt be amongst the Henderson's, Baxter's, Johnstone's, Souness's or Durrant for me - and probably plenty others. I may be overly critical there but, as I said, I was actually more disappointed to lose McCabe than Ness.

Durrant, for me, would have turned out to be very, very close the the best player we ever produced but for that tackle.

So he misplaces his pass ? :P

Dont get me wrong, I do happen to think that Ness is a cracking player, but one of the best Scotland has EVER produced ? Not for me. As I say, I didnt think he was very quick at all though that may be because of his gangly nature that I felt that.

But wouldnt be amongst the Henderson's, Baxter's, Johnstone's, Souness's or Durrant for me - and probably plenty others. I may be overly critical there but, as I said, I was actually more disappointed to lose McCabe than Ness.

Durrant, for me, would have turned out to be very, very close the the best player we ever produced but for that tackle.

Now that's a question! Who is the best player we've ever produced? I'm not sure what the criteria for this would be either; caps, trophies won?

Durrant was a sublime footballer, he also appeared at a time when we weren't very good. His emergence gave hope for the future. I've often wondered what would have happened had Wallace not been replaced by Souness and instead Holmes had opened the purse strings to Jock Wallace.

Anyway, what say the learned posters of Gersnet, who was the best player we ever produced? The really difficult thing in this is defining 'produced' actually. Someone like John Greig or Willie Henderson signed as schoolboys, whilst players like George Young and Alan Morton joined from Junior clubs, so did we actually 'produce' them, we were their first senior clubs and they were teenagers when they joined, also 'youth systems' didn't really exist then.

From the modern era I'd say Allan McGregor is in with a shout.

None of the names you mention above have actually made it as a successful footballer. They've shown promise but that's about it. Mind you, the player has to take some of the responsibility for that.

True, but with McCabe & Ness at least, they looked like they could be the core of our midfield for years. They didnt look out of place alongside far more experienced players. I think both made a mistake in leaving. Both, for me, are/were better than our current crop of youngsters (albeit different types of players) but one thing I know... I would still rather have either McCabe OR Ness ahead of Ian Black !

Now that's a question! Who is the best player we've ever produced? I'm not sure what the criteria for this would be either; caps, trophies won?

Durrant was a sublime footballer, he also appeared at a time when we weren't very good. His emergence gave hope for the future. I've often wondered what would have happened had Wallace not been replaced by Souness and instead Holmes had opened the purse strings to Jock Wallace.

Anyway, what say the learned posters of Gersnet, who was the best player we ever produced? The really difficult thing in this is defining 'produced' actually. Someone like John Greig or Willie Henderson signed as schoolboys, whilst players like George Young and Alan Morton joined from Junior clubs, so did we actually 'produce' them, we were their first senior clubs and they were teenagers when they joined, also 'youth systems' didn't really exist then.

I am biased because Durrant, for the way he played the game, was my idol. I was absolutely GUTTED seeing THAT tackle. All of Scottish football fans should have been because he was the great hope for our national game, undoubtedly. Again, biased and with tin hat firmly on, I think he had the potential to be a better player than Gazza, I thought they were similar but that Durrant had a slightly better ability to get beyond his strikers at the exact right time.

I think we should have a separate thread on best players, this one will get off track in a hurry (thanks mostly to me admittedly).

True, but with McCabe & Ness at least, they looked like they could be the core of our midfield for years. They didnt look out of place alongside far more experienced players. I think both made a mistake in leaving. Both, for me, are/were better than our current crop of youngsters (albeit different types of players) but one thing I know... I would still rather have either McCabe OR Ness ahead of Ian Black !

I think its also important to consider that Ness and McCabe looked good at the SPL level, in fact both had solid performances in game(s) against Celtic. However the current crop we are seeing at a significantly lower level. It will be good to see how they perform in the cup against Dundee Utd if Super gives them a chance, McKay and MacLeod in particular.

At his prime, Barry Ferguson was a tremendous footballer so I'd have to opt for him in terms of the modern era.