Ness, when fit (which wasn't often), was a superb talent - much as Danny Wilson was in defence. Both were real stand outs in terms of younger players who've played for the first team in recent years.

However, Lewis MacLeod and Barrie McKay have looked very good as well - though it could be argued haven't yet played consistently enough against a higher standard of opposition to judge them as effectively.

Ness, when fit (which wasn't often), was a superb talent - much as Danny Wilson was in defence. Both were real stand outs in terms of younger players who've played for the first team in recent years.

However, Lewis MacLeod and Barrie McKay have looked very good as well - though it could be argued haven't yet played consistently enough against a higher standard of opposition to judge them as effectively.

Thats the thing though was he ever match fit and even then he still stood out!

I really like MacLeod he is a real talent too, he comes across as very mature on the park. In fact imo our strongest central mid pairing is MacLeod and Hutton.

I really like MacLeod he is a real talent too, he comes across as very mature on the park. In fact imo our strongest central mid pairing is MacLeod and Hutton.

I'd agree with that.

MacLeod is a genuine quality box-to-box midfielder, the likes of which we've not really seen for a good number of years. Not only can he score goals but his mobility is important in areas of the park to retain possession. His distribution isn't always great but that should get better with time.

Hutton, I'm less convinced about but the physical aspect of his play is important to the team and he provides a bit more bite than Black does though again Hutton's passing can be poor.

Last, but not least, Black is different to the both of them. More of a holding player, his style of play matches that of Davis and Ferguson of our modern era. He arguably slows the game down too much in the rough & tumble of the lower division so while he's probably the best passer of the three, he's the least effective because he doesn't get the time the more salubrious comparisons did.

As we progress through the divisions, I think we'll see all three play together more often as there's no doubt Ally prefers a midfield three in the centre.

think thats a bit strong.. some of these guys are still very young. how can they not be successful if there starting for mighty rangers week in week out

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

John Fleck started for Rangers. No way has he made it as a successful footballer.

I'd agree with that.

MacLeod is a genuine quality box-to-box midfielder, the likes of which we've not really seen for a good number of years. Not only can he score goals but his mobility is important in areas of the park to retain possession. His distribution isn't always great but that should get better with time.

You know who MacLeod reminds me of?

(tin hat on)

James McCarthy.

And as much as we all don't like him, you cannot argue that he is a terrific player. He never looks out of place against the big boys down there IMO.

(tin hat on)

James McCarthy.

And as much as we all don't like him, you cannot argue that he is a terrific player. He never looks out of place against the big boys down there IMO.

I never seen very much of McCarthy - either up here or since he moved South. But doesn't he play more of a wider role?

MacLeod actually reminds me more of a (better) Darren Fletcher.

Guest DietofWorms
I never seen very much of McCarthy - either up here or since he moved South. But doesn't he play more of a wider role?

He played a wider more advanced role with Accies.....with Wigan, he's bang in the middle of the park and a lot of the play goes through him...an excellent player.

(tin hat on)

James McCarthy.

Why do "we" not like him?

McCarthy is a very good comparison, however, I do think that MacLeod could have the potential to be an even better player, due to his box-to-box style and the goal scoring threat that he will develop with maturity. McCarthy does play in a central mid position, but generally plays more of the holding role. I think that Hutton could drop back further and ultimately play central defence. He has the physical ability to do this, and having that little bit of extra time on the ball, could assist his passing game.

No very central. There is also a McCarthur (the Gers fan) he kinds flits centre/wide more often, doesn't play as often as McCarthy though.