Bring me back, Ally

Out of those, only Jig and Alexander have won more than a Scottish Cup. Its the right kind of experience we need, the win-at-all-costs mentality that drags you through periods of poor form to win games when you perhaps don't deserve it.

They have Ally McCoist and Ian Durrant as coaches as well.

Young players learn from playing first team games, we can't throw money down the pan for the sake of 'teaching'.

People don't want to give Alexander two years but do want Miller back?

Last time I saw him for Scotland he looked awful. And considering Miller appears to be more motivated by money than most we've had through the gates in recent years I can't see him coming cheap enough for our current level.

Signing Miller just so we can win a game against Elgin? Fuck sake. He may have scored in that one. But we're gonna walk the league and there's no guarantees we wont drop more silly points if he was here.

Hardly the goal scoring rate of a Kris Body is it. ;)

...but then what's the difference to playing in the SPL U21 league

They get to play against better opposition who is physically stronger. You don't just learn from your teammates, you will learn a great deal from your opponents as well.

Young players learn from playing first team games, we can't throw money down the pan for the sake of 'teaching'.

That is all fair and well. Do we have these young players and who will we get for Divi 2 or whatever it may be? I see a lot of potential in Crawford, but he's an attacking midfielder. Whereas McKay, who is according to his CV a striker is being used on the wings. Then there is Kal Naismith who is in and out benchwise and does the odd little trick when on the park, but also looked quite disinterested on occasion. It's all somewhat tricky and I for one would not mind additional back up for another long and hard season. And Stella is one of those enigmas (signing-wise) that we had on a few occasions these last years.

Edited by der Berliner

What do they learn from first team games that they don't learn in the top U21 league? If there is something to learn in division three then we shouldn't be expecting to thrash teams every week with young players that are learning from it. We didn't expect them to walk the SPL U21 league.

A lot of players have learned tons by playing next to an experienced and wise player. I'm sure Danny Wilson benefited hugely from playing next to Weir.

They get to play against better opposition who is physically stronger. You don't just learn from your teammates, you will learn a great deal from your opponents as well.

As I've said elsewhere, if that's the case why are we expecting to trounce teams in every game? How can you learn anything if the opposition are easy?

What do they learn from first team games that they don't learn in the top U21 league? If there is something to learn in division three then we shouldn't be expecting to thrash teams every week with young players that are learning from it. We didn't expect them to walk the SPL U21 league.

A lot of players have learned tons by playing next to an experienced and wise player. I'm sure Danny Wilson benefited hugely from playing next to Weir.

Danny Wilson who can't even get a game for Bristol City right now?

All the pressure and focus is on the first team, lets face it how many fans go and watch reserve matches or even pay that much attention to the results? Experiencing playing in front of 50,000 and having that expectation to help the team win every game and win trophies seems like a very good learning experience for me, the level we're at isn't that relevant. Lewis Macleod, Barrie McKay etc have talked about the great chance our demotion has given them so I highly doubt they have any complaints about what the fans expect, and they'd likely have gone out on loan to these teams we're playing if we were still in the top flight. Look at Hemmings, he's gone to a side two divisions above.

Sure they need some experience alongside but we've got enough of a core of it, if we can bring in more great but they have to also be of good use to the team themselves and not be on money we can't afford to fritter away.

People don't want to give Alexander two years but do want Miller back?

I don't think any said they didn't want to give him two years. There are some who are not sure if he's worth 10k a week for two years. I doubt many would want to give Miller that kind of money either but to be fair, he is more qualified than Neil to earn that kind of money based on previous wages and the fact that strikers usually get paid more than keepers.

Last time I saw him for Scotland he looked awful. And considering Miller appears to be more motivated by money than most we've had through the gates in recent years I can't see him coming cheap enough for our current level.

I don't think many disagree with your there. I think there is a faint hope that as his career looks pretty much near its end and as he should be a very rich man by now, that he'd take a more affordable wage for us - a sum that would be way more than most of us earn - say five grand a week.

Signing Miller just so we can win a game against Elgin? Fuck sake. He may have scored in that one. But we're gonna walk the league and there's no guarantees we wont drop more silly points if he was here.

There's no guarantee but you'd have to expect a guy of his experience to find it not too difficult against division 3 opposition. We don't really need to beat Elgin every week to win the league with a lot to spare but with the reaction of some on here perhaps we need a guy who can put a game to bed. Although some would call it, "papering over the cracks".

Hardly the goal scoring rate of a Kris Body is it. ;)

I put money on Miller to score more than Boyd now. He has more of the work rate and all round game. I really can't see Boyd bothering his arse in our division and judging by his latest scoring stats he's not exactly putting them away. Kenny scored plenty when Boyd wasn't in the team.

As I've said elsewhere, if that's the case why are we expecting to trounce teams in every game? How can you learn anything if the opposition are easy?

You're right, I've never expected to skin anybody in this league.