Possible move south for Rangers?

Guest DavieBlue

If nothing changes in the way European football is organised, then the gap between Scottish teams and those of England, Spain, Germany etc. will continue to get bigger. We'll be forced to choose between either playing "anti-football" or getting humped.

The gamble is, that it'll take many years to get to the top of "English football" (IF the Conference route is even an option). European football may well have changed by the time we get there, and we might have missed out on something big (A European or regional league) while we're fighting through the lower divisions.

Right, well we better hang around the irn-bru league on the off chance of a euro shake up that includes us. Sorry mate I'm being faecal but if this is really gonna turn out to be a crossroads I'm firmly in the fuck Scottish football camp. You gonna be jealous if 5 years down the line hearts are playing vvv venlo and we are in the championship edging ever closer to the premiership? I won't.

Edited by Cotter

Right, well we better hang around the irn-bru league on the off chance of a euro shake up that includes us. Story mate I'm being faecal but if this is really gonna turn out to be a crossroads I'm firmly in the fcuk Scottish football camp. You gonna be jealous if 5 years down the line hearts are playing vvv venlo and we are in the championship edging ever closer to the premiership? I won't.

I'm for the gamble too! Just pointing out that it would be a gamble and it would take a hell of a long time before we saw the real benefits.

No, I wouldn't be jealous in the scenario you pointed out - but I'd be a touch envious if, in a few years, we were playing Swindon while the Tims were playing PSV.

Prior to the events of last year, I would have sooner started watching netball than watch Rangers in an English league. However, the nacked hatred, bigotry and vindictiveness we were subjected to by the top flight in Scotland and the SFA has made me change my mind totally.

Nothing short of a lottery win would give me greater pleasure than being admitted into the English setup and giving a two fingered goodbye to the game here. Although, I would always be sure to include SFL clubs in our pre-season friendlies as we get ready for another season in the EPL.

With the riches in the English leagues European football won't be as much of an urgency as it is here.

Honestly, I do not want to look at this from the monetary point. It is all fine and well if we have our money "in order", but matter of fact, should we go the England-route, we will - for the forseeable future - become also-rans in Englands below-EPL-leagues. And it is always "nice" if the odd report in Europe speaks about that great club with a grand history and tremendous tradition ... only to put us in the shelf alongside other grand teams like Blackpool, Sunderland or Nottingham Forest, who spend ages in the doldrums of the English game. Do also keep in mind, folk, that jumping ship to England will probably see half the Rangers support jumping in delight, until they note that half the squad will not jump into the English lower leagues and people will not be queuing to join us either.

In two or three years time, we will be back in the top tier of the game here, a year later we will be challenging in Europe. Mo matter what the SFA or SPL will throw in our way. Remember that these guys will not be there forever either.

That is what every Rangers fan wants, success on all frontiers. That is what players signing for Rangers will aspire too.

Edited by der Berliner

Prior to the events of last year, I would have sooner started watching netball than watch Rangers in an English league. However, the nacked hatred, bigotry and vindictiveness we were subjected to by the top flight in Scotland and the SFA has made me change my mind totally.

Nothing short of a lottery win would give me greater pleasure than being admitted into the English setup and giving a two fingered goodbye to the game here. Although, I would always be sure to include SFL clubs in our pre-season friendlies as we get ready for another season in the EPL.

Really? I think some of them have shown themselves up as no better than the SPL so far. Queens Park with the ticket hikes, Montrose with their programme, Elgin trying to take advantage of us by putting fans at risk, stupid displays by fans at Ibrox about our history. Not to mention any of them that vote for this farce of a resconstruction.

The making friends concept has gone out the window for me somewhat.

Honestly, I do not want to look at this from the monetary point. It is all fine and well if we have our money "in order", but matter of fact, should we go the England-route, we will - for the forseeable future - become also-rans in Englands below-EPL-leagues. And it is always "nice" if the odd report in Europe speaks about that great club with a grand history and tremendous tradition ... only to put us in the shelf alongside other grand teams like Blackpool, Sunderland or Nottingham Forest, who spend ages in the doldrums of the English game. Do also keep in mind, folk, that jumping ship to England will probably see half the Rangers support jumping in delight, until they note that half the squad will not jump into the English lower leagues and people will not be queuing to join us either.

In two or three years time, we will be back in the top tier of the game here, a year later we will be challenging in Europe. Mo matter what the SFA or SPL will throw in our way. Remember that these guys will not be there forever either.

That is what every Rangers fan wants, success on all frontiers. That is what players signing for Rangers will aspire too.

Or look at it this way, a different challenge from simply trying to be better than Celtic every year?

Money talks, in most of the leagues down there we'll have more money and better players than the opposition. The differential will be closer the higher we get but even in the Championship we'd be one of the richest - with only the clubs with parachute payments to match or better us, and the odd big club relegated.

It will not guarantee promotion but the odds will be in our favour.

We might temporarily lose some status - but our status is fast becoming akin to a foreign minister in a government of a banana republic - or even a former great country like Hungary. Perhaps it's better to be a formerly famous US senator.

I don't think our hubris should sway us from our best chance of future prosperity and well-being.

Really? I think some of them have shown themselves up as no better than the SPL so far. Queens Park with the ticket hikes, Montrose with their programme, Elgin trying to take advantage of us by putting fans at risk, stupid displays by fans at Ibrox about our history. Not to mention any of them that vote for this farce of a resconstruction.

The making friends concept has gone out the window for me somewhat.

It does seem to be a Scottish disease...

You have to start somewhere DB, what have we got to look forward to, maybe getting to the same level we had before. When we could move down south and start a new adventure for the club and be in a league system where the sky's the limit if you have ambition and drive that's what I want for my club.