Green - Choose Me Or Murray

RECORD MAN JACKSON'S BID TO DESTABILISE RANGERS

IT is now just 24 hours short of a fortnight since I speculated that senior Daily Record executives may have ordered a witch hunt against Rangers.

Since then, evidence has mounted which may give a number of people further cause to believe there is now an orchestrated campaign inside the fast fading Record – a newspaper which is tied to Celtic in a commercial deal – to do damage to Rangers.

The latest example of this was this week when a story, written by £90,000-a-year chief football writer Keith Jackson, claimed that chief executive Charles Green was ready to quit Rangers if controversial chairman Malcolm Murray did not resign.

That’s absolute bunkum and balderdash!

And I cannot, for a moment, work out why Jackson would chose to write such a story, especially when I know for certain that he has been aware of the facts of the matter for almost a month.

Surely it could have had nothing to do with the fact he did not appear on the Rangers DVD, The Rising? For that sort of thing would be petty beyond belief. Not to mention, entirely unprofessional.

However, the fact of that particular matter is that Jackson was filmed for The Rising, but his contribution ended up on the cutting room floor. The Sun’s Roger Hannah, however, did feature in The Rising.

Evidence is, though, mounting of a campaign within the Daily Record, with Keith Jackson now in its vanguard, to try to destabilise his former colleague, Rangers recently appointed Director of Communications, Jim Traynor.

That is the only conclusion this old observer can reach, based on the events of the last few weeks and the way Daily Record has chosen to portray them

Such as the astonishing way credence was given to a story about Traynor, filled with lies and first published on his Channel Four blog by Alex Thomson. The Record, without applying the sound journalistic principle of checking the claims out and establishing their own sources, simply rehashed Thomson’s tripe, quoting the Channel Four man’s un-named sources.

Or at least, that is the way it appeared in print when the Record splashed on the story. Unless, that is, the Record actually knew the source of Alex Thomson’s story.

There was also a piece by Jackson which took aim at Charles Green, Imran Ahmad, Brian Stockbridge, Jim Traynor and manager Alastair McCoist. That was when he wrote that Rangers had no class on and off the park.

A crescendo was reached in the Record’s campaign to de-stabilise Rangers – by foul means not fair – with the Jackson story about a rift between chief executive Green and chairman Murray. It was cunningly written to create the impression that the story had been leaked by the club.

It was not! I can assure you of that 100 per cent. Take my word for it. It is the copper bottomed, unalloyed truth.

There was another aspect of Jackson’s Daily Record story which was far from true. He hinted that one director, former manager Walter Smith, was ready to throw his considerable influence behind Malcolm Murray.

Nothing could be further from the truth. But I leave Walter to take that matter up with the man who wrote the story. Walter Smith has never needed anyone to take up his cause for him. He is more than capable of fighting his own battles.

Twenty four hours after Jackson’s story in the Record appeared, Richard Wilson in the Herald, a man with good, close, confidential and trustworthy sources inside the Blue Room, made it clear that it was Malcolm Murray’s public behaviour which was causing concern in the Blue Room.

Malcolm Murray may think the time he spends in London is time when he is not on public show as the chairman of Rangers. That is not the case.

My information, from an unimpeachable source, someone I have known and trusted for more than 30 years, is that Keith Jackson was aware of all of this, yet chose to apparently deliberately misrepresent the facts and slant what he wrote to make it appear to those who are not aware of the complete breakdown of his relationship with Rangers, that the leak came from within Ibrox.

As I have said before, it did not!

I do not know where the leak came from, but I do know where it did not come from.

What I am also not completely aware of, yet, is exactly how much pressure is now being placed on Daily Record sports writers and reporters to dig the dirt on Rangers and bloggers who take up the Rangers cause. As I said, I am not aware of how much pressure is being applied by senior Daily Record executives for them to do that.

Yet!

As to how the situation regarding Malcolm Murray will play out? My prediction is that there will be a negotiated departure with kind words spoken by both sides.

Anything else could perhaps prove to be too dangerous to Malcolm Murray for him to contemplate.

posted by leggoland

Guest carter001
I see that the club's pretty slow off the mark (again) to make official comment on this stuff. The silence is deafening.

I believe there will be an announcement today that Murray is leaving.

As far as i'm told an offer was made to him to stay until the league was wrapped up and then announce that his work was done and he wanted to focus on other things, so as not to cause headlines or disruption but, he continued to 'mischief make' and was sacked last night.

And i'm also told that he is, in fact, an alcoholic.

As far as i'm told an offer was made to him to stay until the league was wrapped up and then announce that his work was done and he wanted to focus on other things, so as not to cause headlines or disruption but, he continued to 'mischief make' and was sacked last night.

That's not what I've heard.

oh the irony.

we can do without such unsubstantiated nonsense on our own forums thanks.

[h=3]MALCOLM MURRAY is to STAY as Rangers chairman after dramatic clear-the-air talks yesterday.[/h]Murray had been asked to consider his position by fellow directors a week ago.

They wanted him to quit after a rift over his leadership.

But Murray will stay at Ibrox after senior figures held 48 hours of crisis talks this week.

The lifelong Gers fan assured the board of his wish to see the job through.

Now he will remain in the chair for the long-awaited publication of Rangers’ accounts — expected in a fortnight.

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/feeds/smartphone/scotland/4807159/Murray-will-stay-at-Gers.html#ixzz2LaBgkoTZ

General remark: Please abstain from posting smartphone links. They usually are useless for PC users. (and no, the Scottish Sun does not need any hits ...

Murray will stay at Gers

By ROGER HANNAH (<- click if required)

MALCOLM MURRAY is to STAY as Rangers chairman after dramatic clear-the-air talks yesterday.

Murray had been asked to consider his position by fellow directors a week ago.

They wanted him to quit after a rift over his leadership.

But Murray will stay at Ibrox after senior figures held 48 hours of crisis talks this week.

The lifelong Gers fan assured the board of his wish to see the job through.

Now he will remain in the chair for the long-awaited publication of Rangersâ?? accounts â?? expected in a fortnight.