An outsider's view re BBC Scotland and us

I sent the recent blog column: "BBC Scotland Can't Strike Rangers Balance"

by Chris Graham to a friend of mine (QPR fan, but life is sometimes like that for some folk :) )

He said I could share his reply; so here it is, I thought it interesting, hope some here do too.

------ -----

"Now hereâ??s my perspective.

My work takes me to places where â??journalistsâ?? operate.

Iâ??ve seen them in action and seldom am I impressed.

They so often start with an agenda and then try to get quotes etc to match it.

It amazes me that people care what â??journalistsâ?? think.

For example, football match reports often only serve to display their ignorance.

Why dignify their scribblings with a response ?

It comes down to this.

Rangers is a fantastic institution, part of the foundations of the City of Glasgow.

It has an enormous, loyal set of supporters.

You are too big, too proud and too secure to care what anyone thinks.

A bit of â??no-one likes us we donâ??t careâ?? is warranted.

All you want from a football match is three points / a place in the next round / the trophy (delete as appropriate)

All the rest is pish.

You do not need to crave credit or rave reviews.

You shouldnâ??t even care about the State Broadcaster and any lack of balance.

You are on your way back and will soon return to where you belong.

BBC Scotland cannot stop you.

Let them worry......you have nothing to worry about and no-one to fear.

Now feel free to post this on a Rangers fan-site and let We The People stop whining about irrelevancies like â??balanceâ??.

What would Thomas Paine say ?"

Fair enough comments but constant negative media coverage is neither helpful or enjoyable.

Perhaps it's our own fault for consuming 24 hour news channels and social networks that average stories spring arms and legs but we'd be daft to ignore one-sided or inaccurate coverage. IMHO of course!

We have to remember it was this kind of sensationalised coverage which effectively made the club unbuyable during the EBT debate.

The main issue I have with BBC Scotland et al is that their news are taken up by the main BBC site (unedited) and via that it goes out into the world as reliable "BBC information". All the big mags - business or football - over here use the BBC as a place of reference. It took us quite an effort to get to the sports departments over here and make it clear to them where to look for genuine information and where not.

More generally, the BBC sits in an ivory tower. As long as they are a self-controlled entity, their gates are sealed and their walls unconquered. With their unreliable and biased reporting about us, they open themselves up to critique and Ofcom though, if people would actually push this on. Not just for our sake, but also the BBC in general. As you Britons are essentially forced to pay this BBC Scotland lot, I in your stead would batter Ofcom & Co. with complaints all day long ...

In the past, when the most important thing was bums on seats, the press could try to knock us all they wanted and it wouldn't have had an effect. Crap written in the papers won't stop a fan being a fan, and when that was the main source of income that was fine. If it was still like that, the OP's mate would be correct.

These days though, when a much bigger percentage of income comes from attracting interest from overseas, opening up "new markets", expanding the brand, getting sponsorhsips and all that other marketing-related stuff, having a good image is much more important. When the press deliberatlety set out to tarnish our image, they can cost us a lot of money.

Thanks for the feedback.

I disagreed with my pal for reasons given above. He didn't realise it is a concerted campaign.

Also I think these journalists and media bigots are a large reason we have been sent to the bottom division. They create the climate where we are victimised and always presumed guilty. An outsider to our poisonous wee country would never imagine what goes on; but I thought it illuminating to hear what one thought.

Edited by SteveC