New rule book for Scottish Professional Football League

Are the SFL really going to vote for this? Are they going to be happy with a 18 team league whereby there are loads of meaningless games for a majoroty of clubs?

I know that the SPL are motivated through hatred of us but surely many of the SFL clubs would be looking after their own best interests?

The vote isn't certain but the financial carrot is plain to see for most clubs.

More money via redistribution of funds. More chance of meaningful play-off games or matches against 'bigger' clubs. The chance to play Rangers at least twice at home over the next 2 or 3 years.

The vote isn't certain but the financial carrot is plain to see for most clubs.

More money via redistribution of funds. More chance of meaningful play-off games or matches against 'bigger' clubs. The chance to play Rangers at least twice at home over the next 2 or 3 years.

It's such a bad idea. With no relegation from the league, any team in the bottom half will have nothing to play for before January's over. If there's one thing you want to avoid in a football league it's meaningless matches.

I can see short-termism (i.e. greed) motivating Div3 teams to vote for this, but it's not in the best interests of Div2 clubs either short or long term. And if the SPL clubs think closely about it (as Ross County reportedly have done) they must see that this 12-12 (8-8-8) caper is a poor idea - so the restructure might not pass a vote.

As for the merger of SPL and SFL: It benefits Div1 teams financially, but doesn't do much for anyone else long-term. Some SPL teams might have to vote for it to get through the next couple of years (by leeching off us via a TV deal) but once we're back in the top flight they'll be marginally worse off than they would otherwise have been through having the TV/sponsorship income divided amongst more teams. I'm pretty certain it'll happen, whether or not it's for the best.