Charles Green on singing

Rangers chief executive Charles Green revealed that he intends to hand out life bans not only to supporters found guilty of singing sectarian songs but also to any fans in the immediate vicinity who fail to either silence or shop the offenders.

Green adopted the hardline stance on the day that Rangers announced to the Stock Exchange their results for the second half of 2012, during which they posted losses of £7 million.

They also revalued Ibrox Stadium and Murray Park at £40 million and the “intangibles” – the goodwill and history – at £19 million. Liquidators BDO will have noted that Green’s consortium paid administrators Duff & Phelps only £5.5 million for those assets last year.

Manager Ally McCoist claimed at the weekend that Rangers could not become a global brand until they managed to get rid of the bigots who had attached themselves to the club and Green concurs.

“Sectarianism, or any form of race or religious discrimination, is not acceptable in any way shape or form, not in the work place, not in a football stadium,” he said.

“I know Rangers have made great strides, but my position is very clear on it: anybody who is identified will be banned for life. There will be no appeals and nobody will be let off.

Related Articles

Rangers post £7m losses

04 Mar 2013

McCoist aiming for second tier as Rangers win

03 Mar 2013

McCoist: I was ready to quit

01 Mar 2013

Rangers will not be stripped of titles

28 Feb 2013

How Rangers lost but still won

28 Feb 2013

Green's no surrender policy 'vindicated'

28 Feb 2013

“What I also said at the meeting [with supporters] is that if you’re stood next to the man [and] you are not seen to be policing that, ie putting your hand up and saying, ‘Arrest my best mate because of his sectarian chanting’ I’m going to ban you as well. I feel so strongly about it.

“This is something that we can stamp out, something that we can deal with and it has not place in society and definitely not in Charles Green’s Rangers.

“We’ve had a fantastic year, we’ve made lots of friends and for it to be spoiled by a mindless few is ridiculous.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/rangers/9908159/Charles-Green-vows-to-ban-Rangers-bigots-for-life.html

Already plenty of outrage about this elsewhere and the usual stuff about Charles Green 'bullshit' etc. But for me the fans at Berwick put the club in this position where there has to be very strong words and threats.

If he's talking about the meeting with supporters on Saturday, he made no mention of supporters getting banned for not policing it themselves. Hmm.

It is also the most stupid thing he has said since arriving at Rangers. You can't ban innocent people. Did the person hear it? Were they sure that the offending line was definitely sung?

Green himself admitted that he often doesn't know what the fans are singing so how can he ban people for something that he can't do himself?

This is a massive own goal.

Edited by Bluedell

I have no sympathy whatsoever for people who put their own views and opinion into a football ground and endanger the future of our club. I for one do not take his words literally, IMHO it is a rallying cry to those who stood idly by the idiots who couldn't help but belt out TBB and FTP at Berwick and some other places. I for one am all for rooting out this by ourselves, rather than have the police or some (agenda-driven) authority do it for us.

That said, Berwick's ground wasn't large, the police was there and filming all the people. How difficult can it be to check out the individuals, give them a final warning or ban them sine die?