McCoist wants to sign Jon Daly and Nicky Law

ALLY McCOIST wants to sign Dundee United striker Jon Daly and Motherwell star Nicky Law.

The Rangers boss will offer both stars pre-contract deals for next season.

Fir Park winger Chris Humphrey, 25, remains high on Coistyâ??s list of targets. But SunSport can reveal hitman Daly and midfielder Law are the SPL star turns he wants to snap up most of all.

The Gers gaffer has drawn up a dossier of players out of contract in the summer and both have been identified as men who would boost McCoistâ??s first-team pool. United skipper Daly is thought to have been looking at a move to England.

But Gers have told United they want to talk to the 30-year-old.

The Ibrox club have NOT yet been in touch with Well over Law, 24, but are expected to make contact this week.Gers canâ??t make any signings till September 1 but pre-contracts can be struck. Reinforcements may be necessary to satisfy Charles Green after he admitted to being unimpressed by McCoistâ??s team. However, the Ibrox supremo insisted McCoist is SAFE from the sack.

The Yorkshireman said: â??Ally isnâ??t happy with where we are.

â??We are all happy that in three more matches weâ??re likely to have won the league and thatâ??s fine.

â??But in terms of the performances and how weâ??re winning, I donâ??t think anyone is happy.

â??But the answer is not to fire Ally. Itâ??s to deal with the issues and try to improve.

â??Ally has never been a manager.

â??If I was judging him as a striker or his ability to score goals, weâ??d have a real benchmark.

â??But he came to this having never managed a club and was thrown into one of the biggest clubs in the world.

â??That is a challenge but to do it to that backdrop increases the enormity of the task.â?

Green has vowed to make money available for new faces.

But part of his plan to raise cash will see him sell the naming rights to Ibrox.

Green added: â??We had a meeting a few weeks ago with the supporters and invited Sports Direct.

â??We said then weâ??d narrow it down to two interested parties, but one of those was not prepared to commit until he knew what league we were going to be in.

â??So weâ??ll go ahead with Sports Direct and now we are getting together some visuals for the fans.â?

Green â?? speaking yesterday as he announced heâ??d lost £7million since taking over the club last July â?? has played down his recent bust-up with chairman Malcolm Murray.

Green added: â??Itâ??s healthy for people to have different opinions.

â??I have a style which is perhaps not ideal for everyone who sits round the boardroom table.

â??If there are going to be clashes, itâ??s usually between the chief exec and the chairman.â?

Not so sure about Daly but Law is a decent player - box to box midfielder and a good turn of pace too. Wouldn't want to see a midfield of Black and Law but wouldn't be against MacLeod and Law in the centre of the park in SFL2.

The Yorkshireman said: â??Ally isnâ??t happy with where we are.

â??We are all happy that in three more matches weâ??re likely to have won the league and thatâ??s fine.

â??But in terms of the performances and how weâ??re winning, I donâ??t think anyone is happy.

â??But the answer is not to fire Ally. Itâ??s to deal with the issues and try to improve.

â??Ally has never been a manager.

â??If I was judging him as a striker or his ability to score goals, weâ??d have a real benchmark.

â??But he came to this having never managed a club and was thrown into one of the biggest clubs in the world.

â??That is a challenge but to do it to that backdrop increases the enormity of the task.â?

Buying more players is not the answer.

Buying one or two to bolster the squad ain't a problem. However some of the young guys have shown this season that there is a helluva lot of potential in the younger ranks - these players need to nurtured & developed in order to attain their full potential. Buying in players like John Daly isn't gonna help youngsters like Hemmings/Naismith or Perry/Hegarty.

If we are buying players in, they should be younger, up & coming players. Then they can either flourish and be long term players, or they can build their reputation & skills and be sold on at a hefty profit.

Players like Daly, Kyle, Cribari, Boca & Goian will have absolutely NO RESALE value. How critical is their experience in the lower leagues???? I'm sure one of our recent opponents had an average age of about 23 (according to the commentary), and they still made a decent game of it.

A clear vision for the future is definitely required, both from a playing side & a buying side.

Darther, please don't mind if I take your post to address some general points here ...

Buying one or two to bolster the squad ain't a problem. However some of the young guys have shown this season that there is a helluva lot of potential in the younger ranks - these players need to nurtured & developed in order to attain their full potential. Buying in players like John Daly isn't gonna help youngsters like Hemmings/Naismith or Perry/Hegarty.

IMHO, any striker with 30-years of experience on its back, even though it is "only" SPL experience, will hand down some knowledge to the youngsters. They will look at Sandaza and McCulloch too and obviously, we have a very different idea about "learning the trade". In any case, it will also tell the players that if they want to succeed at Rangers, they have to do something extra. Hence, while he improved quite a bit in recent games, Naismith previously showed an IMHO rather lacklustre will to perform all tasks that a Rangers player has to do on the park.

If we are buying players in, they should be younger, up & coming players. Then they can either flourish and be long term players, or they can build their reputation & skills and be sold on at a hefty profit.

Yes. Either that or players who are well settled within the game, have a lot of experience and can fit right into a team and start scoring goals. That is always the policy of a succesful team. It is not that we are nor will solely signing aging has-beens. (On a sidenote, Hateley was also 30 when we signed him ... and no, I do not compare Daly to Hateley here, just some figures.) While building young superstars with a sell-on value is sure a neat idea, you won't be able to have more than 2 or 3 of that ilk at any given time. Aird, Naismith, McKay, and Macleod are of that bracket, with Crawford and Hegarty also developing nicely. A few other youngsters are waiting too, so how many would you like to see?

Players like Daly, Kyle, Cribari, Boca & Goian will have absolutely NO RESALE value.

Never a point of concern for me, neither in 1983, nor 1999, nor now. If they add to the squad in quality, he can be another Berg, Caniggia, or Weir. And with all due respect, I do not exactly care what people on fanboards think about the "quality" of this or that player. There is hardly any oppinion out there that is not "tainted" by each and everyone's subjective view on the respective player.

How critical is their experience in the lower leagues????

Honestly, these last few games in which we at times struggled badly against low-key opposition should tell you that. You cannot always sustain games with youthful enthusiasm and experience. Most of these teams are not solely made up of plummers and milk-car drivers, but seasoned pros and ex-pros too. Low-key, no doubt, but with bags of experience in e.g. harass a Hutton into a hurried pass, preventing the left-footed Naismith from delivering a cross from the right side, or mopping up on Templeton and frustrate him out of a game. All rather basic stuff, but things that seasoned pros are better equipped to deal with. Hence, a decent mix of youngsters and pros is very much the order of the day and if the current veterans are not everyone's cup of tea, so be it. Boarders will always be split about the qualities of the players we'll sign.

I'm sure one of our recent opponents had an average age of about 23 (according to the commentary), and they still made a decent game of it.

As I said, quite a lot of our opponents have ex-pros in their ranks and are not that young. Their mix with youngsters is probably greater than at Rangers, but that is only natural, given their finances. Still, these people have their cup finals against us and if they would play as great as they sometimes (sic!) do against us, their respective teams would not linger in the bottom half of the table et al.

A clear vision for the future is definitely required, both from a playing side & a buying side.

The vision is there, as it alsways has been. Develop youngsters if they have what it takes for Rangers ... and we have quite a lot of them compared to decades past (though no doubt circumstance-driven too). And buy experience for the task ahead (if only for another two or three years).

We should also keep in mind our rather diminished front line of late, a thing we have experienced before. For quite some time our only recognized striker available was Little, with Sandaza, McCulloch, Naismith and Kyle all out. And while I am at it, Kyle is only with us until the summer.

All just as food for thought.

Law would be an excellent signing. Very highly rated by Motherwell fans and has had a good couple of seasons.

was impressed with him against Ceptic....plus he's only 24, so plenty of life left in him!!!!

BTW, while there was a cry about Daly's age ... Law's 24, Humphrey's 25 and, if the rumours are true, Ryan McGowan is only 23 too. So the argument about us signing too many players that are too old falls flat on its face somewhat.

I'm not sure about Daly purely because we have got McCulloch and Little who are big men that can play up top. Nicky law would be a good signing though. Hopefully we can get shot of Black. Law and McLeod in midfield would be good to see.