Sandaza and 'Tommy'

I notice this STV article appears to be taking the issue more seriously than others - Rangers confirm investigation into 'Francisco Sandaza prank phone call’

Rangers confirm investigation into 'Francisco Sandaza prank phone call’

STV 20 March 2013 17:56 GMT

Rangers are investigating a prank call in which striker Francisco Sandaza appears to say he moved to the club for money and would consider leaving Ibrox in the summer.

A person who appears to be the Spanish striker was duped into believing he was speaking to an American-based agent in a live telephone call played without his consent on an online radio show on Tuesday evening.

In the conversation, a man with a Spanish accent revealed details of his salary with Rangers, which increases year-on-year until the expiration of his contract in 2016.

The man then went on to express a desire to head to Major League Soccer if he was offered more money, while also citing his unhappiness with the Scottish weather.

In a statement Rangers said: “The club is aware of this issue and is investigating the matter. Ally McCoist has spoken with the player and Rangers Chief Executive Charles Green is consulting with the club's advisers.

“The club regards this as an extremely serious matter and will comment further at the appropriate time.”

The man insisted any contract offer should be made directly to him to see whether it was agreeable before any contact was made with his club.

If it is Sandaza action could contravene Scottish FA rules which state no player can attempt to negotiate or arrange a transfer with any person while under contract elsewhere.

Sandaza joined Rangers at the start of the season on a free transfer, having left St Johnstone at the end of his contract.

He scored 18 goals in 34 appearances with the Perth club last campaign, but has managed just two in 18 games for his new side in a season plagued with injury and poor form.

The 28-year-old first came to Scotland to sign for Dundee United in 2008, scoring 11 goals in a two-season spell before spending a year with Brighton and Hove Albion.

A) We'll have to wait and see whether it actually was Sandaza, though I would have expected a denial by now if it wasn't him.

B) What a headline, eh? A modern day football player is signing for a big club for money and not loyalty! What a shocker! In that respect, the mock outrage by some is a hypocritical.

IMHO, whenever he was out there on the park he was showing more application than quite a few players around him. Played as a lone striker was always a rubbish tactic, but I assume that after this affair, he might not see another chance come his way.

RED-FACED Rangers star Francisco Sandaza told how he was duped into revealing the cash secrets of his Ibrox contract — to a Celtic fan posing as a footie agent.

The 28-year-old Spanish ace revealed his pay details to the phone prankster as he admitted he only signed for the Light Blues for the money.

Striker Sandaza said he was interested in negotiating a move to the US but asked trickster Tommy the Taxi Driver — posing as a middle man — to keep their talks secret.

Mortified Sandaza admitted he was taken in — but insisted he has no plans to quit the Glasgow giants.

He said: “I answered my phone to someone who told me they were an official agent and told them personal information I shouldn’t have.

“This tape’s been released to make it look as if I’m not committed to Rangers. That’s not true — I’ve enjoyed my time at Ibrox and am focused on helping the team win the league.

Sandaza spoke out after the chat was posted online by Tommy — a regular caller to radio phone-ins who has previously spoofed disgraced former Gers owner Craig Whyte and ex-SFA chief David Taylor.

Believing an agent called Jack McGonigle was sounding him out for a move, Sandaza, right, revealed he’s on £4,500 a week for the first season of a four-year deal, rising to £10,000 in the last year.

When he is asked if he’d consider leaving Ibrox, he replies: “If I get a better league and more money I’ll go.” And in a swipe at playing standards in the Third Division, he adds: “I didn’t sign for the level. I signed for the money.”

When the fake agent asks if he should approach Rangers, Sandaza — who joined from St Johnstone last summer — says: “If you’ve something from a club, send me the contract and I’ll see if it’s OK.

“I will then give you the OK to speak to Rangers or maybe the Press can find out.”

A Rangers spokeswoman last night said the club was investigating. She added: “We will comment further at an appropriate time.”

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/scottishnews/4851597/Rangers-striker-Francisco-Sandaza-duped-into-revealing-salary-in-prank-call.html#ixzz2OAS9aV97

“This tape’s been released to make it look as if I’m not committed to Rangers. That’s not true — I’ve enjoyed my time at Ibrox and am focused on helping the team win the league.

Oh really? Your body language all season has suggested the opposite Fran.

Hope he never kicks another ball for the first team, players like that upset the balance and attitude of the whole side, why Ally kept picking him in favour of top scorer Little is baffling.

Maybe we can get shot of him and timmy has done us a favour :)

Just another example of their divide and conquer strategy at play. Picking Sandaza might have been a bit of an OG for them but then if you look at our foreign players right now it was probably tough for them to pick a decent player to alienate from the support.

Oh really? Your body language all season has suggested the opposite Fran.

Hope he never kicks another ball for the first team, players like that upset the balance and attitude of the whole side, why Ally kept picking him in favour of top scorer Little is baffling.

As I said before, Sandaza has looked rather lively of late, not least if compared to others in the squad. That he is no world beater is well known. Likewise, Little is our best scorer, but has been disappointing as well. Put Little and Sandaza up front and they will both deliver. That "we" don't do this is probably the main problem we have.

don't think Sandaza's effort has been a problem - he just hasn't managed to put the ball in the net too often.

Sandaza & Little up front could probably work well, with Temps & McKay out wide. Sheils & Crawford in the middle.