Green not too keen on Miller - says the Express

Sell on value is key to keeping us self sustainable.

That's not to say every single signing has to be with this in mind but in the case of Miller it should not happen.

Sorry mate, I should have added in my post that I wasn't specifically talking about Miller, it was more of a general view.

My view is you need to sign some experienced players to get us up through the leagues and as long as they are on reasonable wages and are successful then I don't see how a sell on value is important on every player, if they get us promotion each year then that would help the club financially when reaching the top league.

Also you want to be challenging for the cups.

Sorry mate, I should have added in my post that I wasn't specifically talking about Miller, it was more of a general view.

My view is you need to sign some experienced players to get us up through the leagues and as long as they are on reasonable wages and are successful then I don't see how a sell on value is important on every player, if they get us promotion each year then that would help the club financially when reaching the top league.

Also you want to be challenging for the cups.

There's not a lot of money to be made in Scottish football as we know even when moving up the leagues and challenging for cups is too uncertain regardless, after all we went out of both early under Ally with our SPL squad.

I'm not saying there has to be a strict rule that cannot be broken but we need really to consider things like sell on value, if the player will still be any use when we're back in the top flight and if we really need to be paying them decent money (they'll need a pretty good wage to be convinced to drop down) to negotiate the Scottish lower leagues.

Coming to think of it signing experienced players like Miller is better than signing current SPL players. He is every bit as good and wont be on a long term deal so when we do get back to the top flight he is the sort of player who will be trimmed from the squad to be replaced by the next level of standard. Currently signing the likes of Daly from Dundee Utd leaves us with these types of players in the squad which might not be good enough to be near the top of the league

Generally, people should keep in mind a few things. Of all those players we have been linked to, most are around 25. A Boyd, Miller, and Daly are exceptions and these players know that they will probably get a deal to "get us back" and that will be that. Their experience would/will help us to navigate the lower reaches, as well as help the youngsters to learn. Of the latter, I read that we "blooded" a total of 19 this season? If that is the case, we sure do not look an ageing side right now. Cribari and possibly Alexander will drop out sooner or later too, and who knows what will happen to Goian and Boca.

Regarding Miller, he's of that ilk that can play at a decent standard till he's 37. We won't need him for European games or the like. And obviously, having some "household names" along will sure increase the "attractivity" towards the general customer (ticket sales et al).

Re-signing Miller could be an excellent move in terms of bringing through the younger players - and I can see him begin the move into coaching with us as well. Miller is, along with Davie Weir *the* perfect example of a model professional. Not only that, but he was with us twice when we were sweeping the boards, so he knows what's required from a Rangers player. If he helps instill the correct manner into the younger players his value will be much more than any goals he scores against Stennie or Alloa.

If we have an overall objective of trying to bring in some younger players with a view to developing them and making gains on their sale, I have no problem if that means that we need a few seasoned professionals to act as role-models who can help the development process. That wont stop the usual negativity, weeping, wailing and gnashing of teeth if Miller does come back though. Its a pavlovian response for many.

Experienced mixed with youth is the right way to go.

Having an experienced spine is always a decent attitude to have - Souness did that when he first came in and it paid dividends immediately - Woods, Butcher, to a lesser extent West. The spine of the team was always strong.

To some extent I see what Green's policy is but having sell-on value is not necessarily to do with age (although we know that at 33 we would never get re-sale value out of Miller) - but the bigger risk is taking a guy who, due to age, has re-sale value, only to find that he isnt good enough to be able to sell and you end up having to pay him off (Mladenovic anyone ??).

It should be a balanced approach - having 3 or 4 experienced players is perfectly acceptable to me, even in SFL2 - because the kids wont win the league on their own. However, the experienced players should still be able to be there within the wage structure that our financial position demands.

Paying ANYONE over 10k a week is ludicrous at this point.

It should be a balanced approach - having 3 or 4 experienced players is perfectly acceptable to me, ...

I assume that you mean veteran (and experienced) players. IMHO, Bell, Black, Wallace, Templeton, Shiels or a Law and Bikey would be regarded as "experienced". ;)

I assume that you mean veteran (and experienced) players. IMHO, Bell, Black, Wallace, Templeton, Shiels or a Law and Bikey would be regarded as "experienced". ;)

No, they dont need to be veteran. Experienced is good enough so long as that is also accompanied by QUALITY.

All the players you mention (aside from Law & Bikey, who I havent seen much of) should be good enough to be considered experienced players. I mentioned Colin West and he was only 24 when he came to Rangers but had experience.

Do I consider Wallace "experienced" ? Of course. Same for the others, but they have lacked what was needed for some reason or another.

Realistically, a spine of Bell, a seasoned CB, Black, Templeton & Shiels should be sufficient. SHOULD be, if they played to their strengths. When you add in Wallace at LB then the rest of the team should be able to be filled out by less experienced, more youthful players, certainly in SFL2.

However, for whatever reason Black & Shiels in particular have been very disappointing, for me at least.