Green not too keen on Miller - says the Express

I slightly changed the sensationalist headline above in accordance of what the article below actually describes in bold.

Charles Green set to block Kenny Miller's Rangers comeback

ALLY McCOIST’S hopes of bringing Kenny Miller back to Rangers look set to be killed off by Charles Green.

Express Sport can reveal that the Scotland striker’s representative has held informal discussions over the move with the Ibrox chief executive.

The news is unlikely to improve the strained relationship between Green and McCoist.

Green has made it clear he only wants to sign players who could have a future sell-on value and if they don’t then he isn’t prepared to throw big wages at them.

Miller is under contract with MLS side Vancouver Whitecaps but has stated he would be eager to return to Scotland for family reasons.

Boss McCoist is keen to bring the 33-year-old back for next season’s Second Division push but as it stands a third stint at Ibrox remains unlikely. It would require Miller to take a big wage cut to fit into Green’s strict structure of around £4,000 to £5,000 per week.

He would also have to terminate his Vancouver deal earlier so he could move to Ibrox in September when the SFA transfer embargo is lifted.

“There is no doubt I would come back,” Miller has previously claimed.

“I would definitely do it. It’s whether it could happen.

“Rangers hold a strong place in my heart.”

Miller has had two spells at Ibrox, as well as stints at Hibs, Celtic, Wolves, Derby, Bursaspor and Cardiff City.

Rangers have already verbally agreed a deal to sign Kilmarnock keeper Cammy Bell for next season.

McCoist has a string of other targets, including Andre Bikey of Middlesbrough, Blackpool defender Craig Cathcart, Dundee United skipper Jon Daly, Motherwell midfielder Nicky Law, Honduran Arnold Peralta and Mexican striker Alan Pulido.

He is keen to tie up deals but things have stalled behind the scenes, with chief scout Neil Murray being forced out the door.

There are also concerns among the coaching staff that a promised increase in the wage budget won’t materialise.

Behind the scene issues have also slowed the process down, and the fear that he wants to reduce his coaching staff, putting the positions of Kenny McDowall and Ian Durrant under threat.

Scottish Express

So essentially, a lot of conjecture and a revamp of old stories. But I await another avalanche of articles on this based on the conjecture above, articles who will tell us how strained the Green-McCoist relation is ... ach well.

At the end of the day, if Miller agrees to the assumed wages, he might well be on the menue.

The article for me is purely to add fuel to the fire about McCoist v Green. People will jump on a bandwagon and say its an excuse to try push Ally out the door.

IF and big if, it were true then its not right. Managers should always make the decision about what players come in if it fits in with the budget.

As for Miller, we could have got him back January 2012 and that would have been a good signing at the time after losing Jelavic. But in the last 12 months since going to Canada he has lost a yard or 2 of pace and is now looking like he is struggling to get about the park, he looked well short in his last few Scotland matches. He could probably still do a job as he'd still be more mobile than McCulloch. Plus considering we signed Kyle I wouldnt rule this signing out.

Green has made it clear he only wants to sign players who could have a future sell-on value and if they don’t then he isn’t prepared to throw big wages at them.

We have been guilty of this all too often over the years - short term fixes. McCoist needs to get on board with this philosophy, other wise we will end up in exactly the same state as before.

As has also been stated....Miller has jumped ship twice before due to being offered better deals else where. I believe he would welcome a move to us coz no-one else will offer a similar wage packet!!!!

Edited by Darthter

Green is entirely right in this case. Any club in the situation like ourselves should be looking at younger players. We shouldn't be signing anyone over the age of 30.

Pretty ageist viewpoint. Are there any successful sides with no players over 30? I doubt it. It all sounds a bit Logan's run to me...

I don't see why we always need a sell on value, what we really need to look at is overall value for money. Not every player will bring in more than we spend on fees and wages. We could sign a 30 year old on a free and pay him 5k a week and he could easily give us 4 great seasons, while we could buy a few promising youngsters who don't work out and we end up paying them off.

I think we always need to look at the balance instead of arbitrary and counter-productive age rules.