Rangers have offered a trial to Argentine defender Cristian Trombetta

Really? CH or CF. Has anyone actually seen a big reliable solid centre half who doubles as a full back ? If they do then they are not the type of centre half we are looking for i.e. they lack physical strength. Mr Butcher would you mind playing left back today? Mr Roberts would you mind playing right back (although he does pretty well in goal with a pair of white gloves on)? I don't think so - chase him.

We have had enough enough 'Jack of all trades - master of none' players. We now need players who know their position inside out.

Richard Gough was an excellent fullback, that was where he played for Dundee Utd and Scotland initially too.

Ally's record with signing overseas players has been pretty dreadful. I can't figure out why we would bother with a player who has done the rounds, with little success. This hit or a miss approach doesn't make sense for me.

Richard Gough was an excellent fullback, that was where he played for Dundee Utd and Scotland initially too.

You have a point, although I thought his passing was terrible (he used his right foot like a 4 iron) which is why he ended up centre half. And it reminded me - so was John Brown versatile. Although I stand by my point that they are a very rare breed and we need a centre half than will win 90% of balls that come near him in the air. We bought Papac, Cribari, Sergio Porrini etc etc as centre half\ fullbacks.

So you assume we pay for people trial'ling with us and even that would be a waste of cash for you?

while i know its costing us to have him here i really meant if we sign him he will be poor value for money.

unlikely to play much and never going to be good enough for the spl.

Rangers eye up two new signings

RANGERS have made the first move in the battle to land Scotland’s top scorer Nicky Clark and are also running the rule over Argentine defender Cristian Trombetta.

Ally McCoist has declared his interest in the 37-goal Queen of the South hitman, but faces strong competition from Derby County and Sheffield United.

The Light Blues manager now wants to meet the 21-year-old and table an offer.

McCoist has also taken free agent Trombetta, who can play at centre-half or left-back, on trial.

The 26-year-old was most recently at Mexican outfit Jaguares de Chiapas.

If Trombetta impresses, his signature should be easier to secure than Clark’s.

McCoist tried to take the free-scoring marksman on trial earlier in the season but his offer was refused. Interest is intensifying in Clark, the top scorer in Britain’s senior leagues and hot favourite to win the Second Division player of the year award.

Interest is intensifying in Clark, the top scorer in Britain’s senior leagues

Championship side Derby County, League One club Sheffield United and SPL duo Motherwell and Aberdeen have all had the youngster watched in recent weeks.

English lower-league outfits Shrewsbury Town and Carlisle United are also monitoring the situation and have asked to be informed of any developments. However, the player’s father, Sandy Clark, could prove crucial.

He is a former Ibrox strike partner of McCoist and the Rangers boss is hoping their friendship will go some way to helping him win the fight.

Queen of the South manager Allan Johnston is aware of the situation and although he has offered Clark a new deal, he is resigned to losing him at the end of the season.

The Second Division champions, however, could pocket around £30,000 in compensation because the player is still under 23.

Clark used to train at Rangers as a kid before he moved north to sign professional forms with Aberdeen.

After being released by Mark McGhee he had a spell at Peterhead before moving to Queens two summers ago.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/396359/Rangers-eye-up-two-new-signings

Now Nicky Clark is a player we should be going for and is more appealing than some SPL players. 37 goals at this level is what we need. Put him upfront with Little and he'd get the same again next season.

Guest JCS

WHY? Haven't we seen enough home grown talent in Division 3 over the course of the season that could, doubtless, do a good job for us in Div 2?

I don't know what this lad Cristian Trombetta is like, but the fact that he has played little football and can't attract a club anywhere else doesn't fill me with confidence. Our experience with Cribari should be the benchmark here.

while i know its costing us to have him here i really meant if we sign him he will be poor value for money.

unlikely to play much and never going to be good enough for the spl.

And you get this impression how exactly? Just asking. From reading wikipedia entries, watching the odd youtube clip or more or less a gut feeling about South Amercians?

IMHO, it is far better to have these people over doing a trial and the coaching staff sees them in person, fitness, ability and mentality. Rather than signing people like we did for ages without doing a thorough examination ... and ending up with half-fits or duds.

Now, people will obviously come and tell me about the duds-trialists we signed this and last season, McCoist has no clue and whatnot. Well, hindsight is a grand thing here and if McCoist had known that some people were not good enough (or jump ship at the first sign of trouble (e.g., Celik), he might not have signed him. But someone wouldn't be a Gers-fan if he were not to moan about something. We have not even had a look at this Argentinian, yet people cry that we should look closer to home. Heck, we've blooded 19 of OUR youngsters this season, look to sign nigh a handful of Scots on top of that. But people cry foul if we "look" at the odd or two foreigner, people they never heard of?