I am pretty sure I read that as part of his release from Hearts it was agreed that he couldn't play with another team till Jan 1 - and he also had a gag order in place.

Yeah Craig is right he cant sign/play until Jan. This was the clause the SPL/SFA came up with with Hearts to release him, probably coz it was so close to Jan anyway.

Looks like PLG doesn't want him and that Gers are just wanting to keep informed of what Pressley's plans are. Not really sure why, but there you go.

I still see a lot of people saying we should hold out and sign someone else in the January window. But the way I see it is that we're missing out on the chance to sign a proven player, whom we know all about, for free and on reasonable wages. With the way our defence is playing, his capture (or someone similar) could be the difference between getting second place and CL football next season, or not. I'd rather take a small risk and sign him, than a bigger risk on an unproven player in the January window.

But its academic now anyway.

I am fully aware of the problems of Murray chasing the dream, but if we matched Pressley's reputed wages at Hearts of 6k, is this not a relative pittance on a 6 month contract.

I would still advocate going for Anderson though. But 6k for a player who we can have more confidence in performing than any of the CB's we've signed from outwith Scotland sounds good business to me. I mean, wouldn't an untested in Scotland foreign "star" demand at least 12k plus a transfer and signing on fee.

I think we hvae to consider the short term fix available here.

I'd sign them both and I bet we could afford to pay them out of the savings we've made from Ricksen's departure and still have money left over. The problem is that would leave us with 6 centre backs (if you include Hemdani).

I know people have likened this to the Colin Hendry situation, but this one seems fairly clear cut and obvious, a no brainer if you will. If PLG can't see that he needs to sort out his central defence, then that is very, very worrying. I've still not watched the whole of the Hibs match, but I saw a few of the chances that Hibs wasted and again it seemed to be down to poor defending, with a total lack of a commanding centre half. Like I say, its worrying.

I'd sign them both and I bet we could afford to pay them out of the savings we've made from Ricksen's departure and still have money left over. The problem is that would leave us with 6 centre backs (if you include Hemdani).

I know people have likened this to the Colin Hendry situation, but this one seems fairly clear cut and obvious, a no brainer if you will. If PLG can't see that he needs to sort out his central defence, then that is very, very worrying. I've still not watched the whole of the Hibs match, but I saw a few of the chances that Hibs wasted and again it seemed to be down to poor defending, with a total lack of a commanding centre half. Like I say, its worrying.

Re: the 6 CB's. If we sort out the defence then imo Hemdani becomes a midfielder again. Hemdani is never a CB anyway. If the rumours of shifting J-Rod come to anything that would be four; Svensson, Papac, Pressley and Anderson. Not bad. Fat chance of all that happening tho. :sigh:

You are right though. If we could just get the CB's sorted we'd have the makings of a good team.

Judging by this thread it seems like not a lot of Bears are bothered about the fact Pressley is signing for them.

I am absolutley raging and fear we have missed out big time. I think he would be an ideal signing for us. Yet again they have stolen a march on us in the transfer market. Whos the next French or Austria Vienna player we'll be signing:mad:

Judging by this thread it seems like not a lot of Bears are bothered about the fact Pressley is signing for them.

I am absolutley raging and fear we have missed out big time. I think he would be an ideal signing for us. Yet again they have stolen a march on us in the transfer market. Whos the next French or Austria Vienna player we'll be signing:mad:

Totally agree. I've seen this on a couple of other forums as well, I think some Bears still think we could sign the current equivalent of Terry Butcher (John Terry anyone?) in the January window. A lot of fans need to wake up and realise just how far we've dropped as a club, on and off the pitch, in all respects.

You'd have thought the fans would like this after complaining for the last 4 years or so about wasting money on unknown, overpaid foreigners. Maybe not.

Transfer window hasn't even opened yet, never mind closed so calm down.

Yes Pressley would improve our defence atm. But so would plenty of others. If the Tims tied up Pressley now and then we bought, for arguements sake, Anderson when the windon opened I know who I would consider to have done the better business.

Whilst I have been pro Pressley signing we have to remmeber he isn't actually that good and has his limitations. Unfortunatly that is the current reality of our situation. Looking at Svensson I feel he will definitely become a better player than Elvis ever was, but we need to give him time and maybe get a Scottish bruiser to help him through whilst he gets to grips with Scottish fitba'.