I have thought an 18 month deal would make sense, til the end of this season and then next. Stumbling blocks as I see it are....

1. I don't think PLG will necessarily want to sign him. We've got J-Rod, Svensson, Papac and Hemdani who have all played centre half. Maybe PLG will want to keep faith with them first?

2. Is he a PLG sort of player? I don't think he is, but hopefully he's seen that he is the sort of player we need for the SPL.

3. George Burley will be in for him which I'm thinking might sway him.

4. Would he want to return?

5. Will he want to play for another SPL club? Maybe he would, just to make his point to Vlad and get one over on him. But he clearly loved Hearts and their supporters, so who knows.

On the flip side, it wouldn't mean a house move for him and his family. I'm guessing wages wouldn't be a problem as we've made good savings in that department recently. European football would be an attraction. Maybe he feels like there's unfinished business for him?

Bottom line is I think he'd be a great short term signing. We badly need someone like him and I'd hope that even if PLG isn't interested, that someone on the coaching staff would have said that Pressley is someone he should maybe have a look at.

We'll see, but I think its all too good to be true and I can see him going somewhere else. I really hope not though as I think it could save us wasting more money on an expensive foreign centre half who can't defend if we sign Elvis.

i wouldn't want him, he's most definitely past it. a step backward.

Do you not agree he's a better-suited SPL centre half than any of the 4 I mentioned? He'd also be free and not have huge wage demands and for once, we'd know exactly what we'd be getting rather than gambling on foreign players. He's not long term, but we need to stabilize our defence asap.

Do you not agree he's a better-suited SPL centre half than any of the 4 I mentioned? He'd also be free and not have huge wage demands and for once, we'd know exactly what we'd be getting rather than gambling on foreign players. He's not long term, but we need to stabilize our defence asap.

yes, but our acceptance of short term answers is indicative of how bad things have got.

i dont want a rangers reject coming back to us when he's passed it (if he ever really had it). to be accepting of this kind of thing is just to accept we are now a run of the mill spl side.

yes, but our acceptance of short term answers is indicative of how bad things have got.

i dont want a rangers reject coming back to us when he's passed it (if he ever really had it). to be accepting of this kind of thing is just to accept we are now a run of the mill spl side.

Personally I think our acceptance of completely average players is more indicative of how low our expectations as supporters have been. Look at J-Rod as a perfect example. He's been nothing better than average since he arrived, but we've come to believe that he'll get better over time. How many games has he now played?

I just think its a bit of a no brainer, to steady the ship a bit. Svensson might be a long term prospect, but he needs someone alongside him to get him through games and none of our current centre backs seem capable of that.

Still Dundee Utd must be among the favourites to sign him.

I'm sure free agents can sign and play for a team anytime of the season. I may be wrong though. I bet I am!

I don't think he can sign for a new club until January, but I'm not entirely sure why. Maybe because he was employed by a club and has been released during the season rather than at the end of a season?

George Burley has now come out and said he'd like to sign him in January.

Any chance of a mod merging this thread with the one in the Gers forum please?

I agree with some of what you're saying but we do have to accept some of

our financial limitation, especially with the strange policy of zero debt.

I would also say that Pressley is above average in the SPL and was a big part of Burley's unbeaten team last year, he easily fitted in a team that looked like they could challenge for the title.

We need emergency treatment at the moment and he fits the bill as a pretty good bandage until we hopefully do the major surgery in the summer.

Still Dundee Utd must be among the favourites to sign him.

I'm sure free agents can sign and play for a team anytime of the season. I may be wrong though. I bet I am!

Yeah Utd are in with a shout, they will prob offer him a longer deal.

He cant play until Jan, this was part of the argeement with Hearts and the SPL for his contract to be terminated.