according to this mornings paper some of our star players refused to train at murray park in case they picked up an injury that would prevent them moving to another club well i say name the players and in furure recotd books just put a black line were there name should be and also a lifetime ban for these players from ibrox .

WHAT a difference a year makes.

Twelve months ago Rangers didn’t know if they’d still even be in existence, never mind who they were going to sign for the season ahead.

But a year on, Ian Durrant admits the summer of 2013 is like night and day compared to the turmoil of its predecessor.

Last pre-season Gers had only six players for the first day of training, but this time manager Ally McCoist has had the time and money to cherry-pick his stars.

Dundee United skipper Jon Daly, Motherwell’s Nicky Law, keeper Cammy Bell and red-hot youngster Nicky Clark have all been snapped up.

Honduras international Arnold Peralta yesterday agreed a four-year deal and moves are afoot to bring Stevie Smith back to Ibrox.

Gers were criticised for their lack of flowing football in the Third Division last term, but coach Durrant insists planning this time around will see a dramatic improvement.

He said: “It was a total shambles last year in terms of pre-season. This time we have everything organised.

“It’s about getting players, getting games and getting them bedded into the squad. That was something we couldn’t do last year.

“It’s important. I’m not trying to make excuses, but I think last pre-season — or the lack of it — was a big factor in the lack of continuity and the way our team played last year.

“It was a mismatch. It was like trying to put together a jigsaw with nine pieces missing.

“This year, everything is sorted and hopefully we can get a few more additions before pre-season.

“We will hold our hands up and say the football wasn’t pretty at times. But we set our stall to win the Third Division.

“We have got a better calibre of player in this year.

“When we turned up last year, we had players who refused to train or play because of their contract situation, in case they got injured.

“They then left the club and that left us with six or seven players, plus the young boys.

“There was added pressure in terms of bringing through the young boys. Playing in front of 40,000 fans every second week applies that pressure. Some of them handled it a lot better than others.

“But we looked at it again this year. We sat down in January or February as a management and coaching team and arranged a programme of what we should do over the next two years to get players bedded in.”

Durrant also revealed the summer spending at Ibrox is set to continue, with around SIX other new faces on the wanted list — and several of last year’s title winners heading for the exit door.

He added: “We are trying to get a squad of 20 and we have 14 or 15 just now, even with some of the young boys. So the more players we get in, the quicker we can get up the leagues, the better.

“We are short at the back and that will be the priority. I’m sure over the next few weeks we will be doing our best to get centre-halves in.”

Hit kid Clark was Scotland’s top scorer with Second Division champs Queen of the South last season and Durrant is backing him to make a big impact at Ibrox.

He said: “It’s fantastic that we’ve got him signed up. I’ve watched him a few times and I know Nicky from being a young boy here. But when I met him the other week, it was clear he has grown into a man.

“He is delighted to get a second chance and I’m sure he is going to make the most of it. He will be a great addition to the club.

“We have to look at young players we can develop as part of it. If what looks like happening becomes reality and we are in the Second Division next season, then we have another two years until we are hopefully back in the top division.

“We want to get there with players who are battle-hardened, because as soon as we get to the SPL we need to have players who can play in that division against tough opposition.”

So many demands were placed on Gers’ youngsters last season, but their development will be managed better now.

Despite the arrival of more experienced stars, Durrant still expects the kids to play a major part — and be tougher for what they’ve been through.

He said: “They will have a better backbone to them.

“They had to handle everything last season. If we were to push them again this year, a few of them might fall apart.

“But with the experience that is coming in now, the young boys will be playing with a better calibre of older player. That can only help them.”

Perhaps Gers’ most significant “signing” of the summer has been Walter Smith agreeing to become chairman.

Durrant believes that’s a massive coup for the club and the coaching staff — even if it has left him unsure what to call Smith.

He added: “The gaffer brings such presence to the club. Everybody is a crying out for a bit of stability and hopefully that can happen and we can push forward.

“There has been a lot on the front pages of the papers, with stuff not connected to football. We just want it all to be about the football.

“The gaffer has done so much for the club, so this appointment will be great. It’s just funny having to call him chairman!

“He will always be the gaffer, but I’ll have to go and see him and find out how I should be addressing him.

“The boss and gaffer have had a relationship over the years. It’s a great buffer for the manager, having someone on the board who he can talk to and who also completely understands his position.

“It will be 24-7 for the old gaffer now in terms of the responsibility of being chairman, but I’m sure he will do a great job.”

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/feeds/smartphone/scotland/4953818/We-were-a-jigsaw-with-9-pieces-missing-this-is-so-different.html#ixzz2VEIefM3j

Ok we get it. It was a shambles last pre-season but please stop using this as some never ending excuse for...

1. The complete lack of a cohesive style of play

2. No notable signs of player improvement or development (infact it was the opposite)

3. Perseverance with turgid long ball "tactics"

4. Lack of general all-round fitness

5. Inability to strike a dead ball or use them affectively

6. Continually playing players out of position

I fear we'll be hearing a new set of excuses for being pish poor long into the new season...young players,new team,no time to gel etc etc.

That's a bit unfair at this stage, is it not?

Guest alfiebass
according to this mornings paper some of our star players refused to train at murray park in case they picked up an injury that would prevent them moving to another club well i say name the players and in furure recotd books just put a black line were there name should be and also a lifetime ban for these players from ibrox .

Sounds like another bit of disinformation from the dark side. This follows on from weeks of where has the money gone/the money has gone rumours again started by the dark side, but unfortunately repeated on Rangers forums. If a player refuses to train he will probably be in breech of contract and as such get fined by the club. At a time where clubs are ditching players right left and centre and two clubs are facing going out of business it would be extremely stupid for a player to stop training in case he got injured and couldn't get a move. What club would want to sign a trouble maker when there are so many other out of contract players available.