Neil Doncaster: Nine-year TV contract shows I am the real deal

THE newly appointed Scottish Professional Football League says he has proved he is the right man for the top job.

NEIL DONCASTER last night celebrated becoming SPFL chief executive by insisting the nine-year deal to sell Scottish football abroad proves his worth.

But the Englishman also revealed the top flight could kick off next month without a sponsor in place.

Doncaster, who beat David Longmuir to the post, flew to Italy yesterday to continue talks with international broadcasters.

However, two weeks ago he signed an agreement that will see Scottish football shown in 60 countries for the next nine years.

The new SPFL chief said: â??Scottish football used to be sold on the back of the Old Firm derby games.

â??But we havenâ??t had one of those for over a year and we wonâ??t have another one in a league competition for another two seasons. The interest in the Scottish game clearly runs deeper than that rivalry.

â??Itâ??s about the intensity of the game here and the decent level of attendance.

â??Thatâ??s why the nine-year deal wonâ??t be renegotiated when Celtic and Rangers are back in the same division.â?

Doncaster was interviewed at 10am on Wednesday then told he had the job 12 hours later in a call to his home.

And he said: â??The first person to phone after that was David Longmuir to congratulate me, which is a measure of the man.

â??I was then off to Italy at four oâ??clock in the morning, trying to maximise revenues on behalf of the SPFL.

â??Broadcasting agreements account for 80 to 90 per cent of the leagueâ??s income. Thatâ??s why itâ??s slightly misleading to go on about the fact we donâ??t yet have a title sponsor for the top division.

â??Thatâ??s an important deal but itâ??s not huge. However, talks about a sponsor will now resume in earnest.

â??What the market dislikes is uncertainty and weâ??ve only had a few days of clarity following the agreement to merge the SPL and the SFL.

â??The hard work can now begin from that positive standpoint. We now have what Henry McLeish wanted to see delivered when he carried out his review.

â??We have one governing body and it means I must find earnings enough to distribute cash to 42 clubs and not 12 as before.â?

Former SPL chief Doncaster and SFL leader Longmuir had come in for criticism before they went head to head for power. But the winner of that contest is unconcerned by what people think of him.

Doncaster said: â??If I didnâ??t have a thick skin I donâ??t think Iâ??d be able to do the job. Thatâ??s a fundamental requirement.

â??I donâ??t take any criticism personally and Iâ??m not in this position to be liked.

â??I need to have a clear vision of the future and sell the Scottish game around the world. All the indications are, on an international and domestic level, the response has been favourable.â?

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/spfl-chief-neil-doncaster-nine-year-2027296

No mention of the value of the deal. Just a 9-year tie-in signed during a period when, despite his claims, Scottish football is at its lowest ebb.

It seems obvious that there clearly will be more interest internationally when we're back in the top flight, and that TV rights will be worth more at that point.

Oh, and still no info on the UK TV deal, which is clearly the vital one.

The interest in the Scottish game clearly runs deeper than that rivalry.

Aha. I would assume he speaks of all the supporters who rather watch their own teams ... sure just under 100k in the stands each Saturday. Plus anyone who will be offered Dundee United vs. Hibernian in a pub et al.

â??Itâ??s about the intensity of the game here and the decent level of attendance.

Ahem, we speak of Scotland, Neil, Scotland. Have you been to the fixtures in person or do you only check the stats handed to you by the PR department?

â??Thatâ??s why the nine-year deal wonâ??t be renegotiated when Celtic and Rangers are back in the same division.â?

That is obviously a masterstroke, I have to grand you that. Sky et al will be utterly happy to pay you the same peanuts for such a vastly improved product, a product that will gather world-wide attention.

I'm not sure for whom I feel more sorrow for, him, or the dolts who voted him into his position. Honestly, as much as the SPL chairmen, clubs, and fans deserved their horrendous year, those who voted the SPFL through and appointed Doncaster deserve what they'll get this upcoming season. I'm not sure whether this is a sado-masochistic streak in their genes, or the Scottish fault of following English* money down the garden path. No insults to any Scottish person intended, just an observation.

*Doncaster appently knows how to play that fiddle ...

“I need to have a clear vision of the future and sell the Scottish game around the world.

Wouldn't it make more sense to firstly sell the game to the Scottish fans, who (in general) have been staying away in increasing numbers??? Or is it a case of selling a load of bullsh*t PR & spin to the rest of the world, using figures no doubt "massaged" by RFC attendances.

Maybe if he can convince the rest of the world that St Mirren v Partick Thistle is a derby game to rival the best in the world, we might be onto a winner.

The new SPFL chief said: “Scottish football used to be sold on the back of the Old Firm derby games.

“But we haven’t had one of those for over a year and we won’t have another one in a league competition for another two seasons. The interest in the Scottish game clearly runs deeper than that rivalry.

“It’s about the intensity of the game here and the decent level of attendance.

That’s why the nine-year deal won’t be renegotiated when Celtic and Rangers are back in the same division.”

FFS!! Tell me Doncaster never said any of the above. PLEASE someone tell me he didn't say that.

FFS!! Tell me Doncaster never said any of the above. PLEASE someone tell me he didn't say that.

Yes he did say that. He also said that if he didn't have a thick skin, he wouldn't be able to the job. Probably a slip of the tongue. He meant to say a thick head.