CEO salary £500K

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23412447

Rangers chief executive Craig Mather will pick up £500,000 per year at Ibrox - a salary that has angered some within the club, BBC Scotland has learned.

Mather was given the role on a permanent basis earlier this month, having initially taken an interim role following Charles Green's departure.

Green was on a salary of around £350,000 at Ibrox.

And the increase for the new CEO has raised eyebrows with some on the board and some major shareholders.

The concern comes as the club, it is understood, continues to lose cash on a monthly basis.

Mather invested £1m after Green, who left the club over allegations about his business dealings with former owner Craig Whyte , led a consortium to buy the club's assets following administration and liquidation last year.

One source told BBC Scotland: "Given where the club is at the moment, the salary is just bizarre.

"It appears to be a premiership salary for a Scottish Second Division chief executive.

"It comes at a time when the club continues to cut costs and just sends out the wrong message."

While the salary quoted seems excessive, if £500,000 is the true figure, the comment re.the Scottish Second Division salary is absurd. Yes, Rangers are in the Scottish Second Division but the responsibility of running Rangers is huge. Strange that BBC are finding sources to reveal club business to them when they have been formally expelled by Rangers.

While the salary quoted seems excessive, if £500,000 is the true figure, the comment re.the Scottish Second Division salary is absurd. Yes, Rangers are in the Scottish Second Division but the responsibility of running Rangers is huge. Strange that BBC are finding sources to reveal club business to them when they have been formally expelled by Rangers.

The new man on the Board always gives his interviews to McLaughlan of the BBC.

Ally on £750k, Mather on £500k, Rangers in Division 2. It just doesn't add up.

These are only two examples as well !!!

Money should currently be being saved and banked for our return to the top flight when we're REALLY going to need it, yet money seems to be a non-issue for the people running the club. I hope they've got deep pockets when it comes to investing as opposed to taking money out!

whereas I'd agree Mather's salary is ridiculous for where we are at present (as is Ally McCoist's salary) I believe the greatest challenge facing any Rangers CEO at present is how to increase revenue & grow the business over the next few years. Mather should now come out & tell us how he intends to achieve this. Such salaries should, in my opinion, only be paid at Rangers from now on by way of of bonuses achieved via the success of the team & good commercial & financial results

Edited by RANGERRAB

On the same notion we should sign players on 250 to 500 pounds a week, yes?

Only if we want to stay in d2 forever. We need to sign players to get us out of d2 hence the need to pay higher salaries to get better players than we'll face in d2. If they get us out d2 then it could be argued the higher salaries were justified.

McCoist will need to justify his salary by virtue of a vast improvement in onfield performances & Mather will need to justify his by improving & growing the business. Can they do this ? only time will tell but frankly I've not got much confidence in either

On the same notion we should sign players on 250 to 500 pounds a week, yes?

If we keep on paying such ludicrous salaries then we may have no option, factor in company NIC's and those two salaries alone account for almost 5000 season tickets.

I can accept us paying good money for the right people (although i've no idea whether Mather meets that criteria) and the Club running at a trading loss in the short term, but only if it's part of a well thought out business plan. The share prospectus outlined how the floatation cash was to be used (albeit in fairly vague terms) and I for one would like to know what proportion has been invested versus simply consumed as working capital.

To that end I'd like to see the annual accounts sooner rather than later (within 3 months of the financial year end) and I'd like them to be accompanied with some substantive details about the size of any monthly trading losses, the Club's plans to eliminate them and most crucially of all, an honest assessment of how much additional capital is required over the life time of that plan.

Over to you Messers Mather / Stockbridge. Time to start earning your money.