Bit off topic and being picky about words, but do we have to endorse the American word, "roster"? I hate the Americanisation of everything and don't see the point with a game like soccer[sic] that doesn't have a big American audience. Can we use "squad" instead?

Bit off topic and being picky about words, but do we have to endorse the American word, "roster"? I hate the Americanisation of everything and don't see the point with a game like soccer[sic] that doesn't have a big American audience. Can we use "squad" instead?

Matter of fact, I didn't know. A little check seem to say that roster is not exactly American though. Longman's Dictionary of English Language and Culture does neither indicate that it is AmE. MAybe they use it more regularly though.

Matter of fact, I didn't know. A little check seem to say that roster is not exactly American though. Longman's Dictionary of English Language and Culture does neither indicate that it is AmE. MAybe they use it more regularly though.

yes, well now you do, so don't do it again! Leave that colonial patois where it belongs - in the 'locker room' ;)

Most Americanism words originated in the UK and then adapted for modern use. Roster is a valid word but not in common parlance of football in the UK. Another example is that we have transfers while they have trades. Now I don't think the word trade has an American origin. Others are goal keeper and goal tender, strip and uniform, offence and attack, zero-zero and nil-nil.

The reason terms like Roster are creeping into the language here, is in my opinion, from ignorant computer game developers.

FIFA (the game) refers to 'squads' and the commentary comes from British based guys and is spot on. Just sayin.

Living in the Southern Hemisphere I have to put up with sentences like the following : "Rangers has kicked a goal".

Across all forms of media, teams are referred to in the singular. Does my fucking head in!

• 2 weeks later...

ALLY McCOIST insists he hasn’t been told to move players on before he can bring anyone else into his Rangers squad.

It has been reported in national media that defensive target Boris Pandza has been told his move to Ibrox won’t happen unless others leave the pool first.

But McCoist is adamant that’s not the case and says chief executive Craig Mather is continuing to work on a deal to bring the Bosnian to Glasgow.

The Light Blues boss has also identified a striker he is keen to recruit and Mather has given him his backing to pursue the player’s signature.

McCoist said: “I know Craig is still in discussions with Boris’ agent. I spoke to Boris myself about 10 days ago and he registered a keenness to come.

“Without wanting to tempt fate, I think negotiations are going along quite well. There’s nothing sinister in the delay at all, it’s just taking a wee bit longer than everybody hoped.

“I would be very hopeful we could get something done and I haven’t been told I have to move people out.

“I know we have brought in eight players but we have lost six from last season’s squad and people perhaps need reminding of that.

“Like most managers and coaches, I’m still extremely keen to strengthen the squad where I can and I still think we could do with another forward. We’re very light there.

“We’ve only got Jon Daly, Nicky Clark and Andy Little and that’s it really. I know Lee McCulloch played up there last year but I thought he did very well at the back last week.

“He scored 26 goals for us last year but he has been a really steadying influence for us in central defence.

“I’ve certainly got one striker in mind. I’ve obviously spoken to Craig about him and he’s quite keen for us to get him if we can so watch this space.”

McCoist, meanwhile, has been impressed by trialists Mamady Sidibe and Hameur Bouazza as they have worked at Murray Park this week.

And he added: “The lads have been fine and I’m just going to have a wee chat with them to see where we are.

“There’s no immediate rush with them because they can’t play anyway, even if we were to offer them anything.

“We’ll get a feel for where they are and see if they’re enjoying it. We’ve enjoyed having them and they’ll maybe stay on a bit longer.”

http://www.rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/item/4664-ally-hopeful-on-signings?