Rangers - A Club More Disliked Than Any In Britain

I dunno why anyone would have an issue with us being unpopular outside our own.

We win loads, we don't keep quiet about it, and a slice of our support are a bit bigoted.

Never been any mystery to me why some people don't like us. But it's never especially bothered me, either, until we put ourselves in a position to be judged by them, courtesy of Whyte.

Edited by andy steel

Some interesting tweets here from the article writer Robin Scott-Elliot last summer. Unsurprisingly, I think he probably deleted his tweets of delight when we entered admin and then later had Green's CVA proposal rejected. This guy is a general sports news & Olympic correspondent btw and only a small part of his article writing is about football. Clearly a Rangers hater though......

Robin Scott-Elliot ‏@RobinScottEllio 29 May 12

#Celtic to play Real Madrid in pre-season friendly in Philadelphia on 11 Aug

Robin Scott-Elliot ‏@RobinScottEllio 21 Jun 12

interesting, very interesting, to borrow from Barry Davies, Motherwell put decision on how to vote over Rangers to fans http://bit.ly/Mvodrt

Robin Scott-Elliot ‏@RobinScottEllio 22 Jun 12

Getting interesting for Rangers - Dundee Utd consult fans and decide to vote against newco in SPL. Good to see fans' views being sought

Robin Scott-Elliot ‏@RobinScottEllio 4 Jul 12

Good on the SPL clubs in voting against Rangers newco being in top flight next season. Had to do it

@david_conn do you think that's reasonable compromise given reality of scots football - or should they be made to start again in Div 3?

Celtic 1/33 to win SPL next season. Generous?

Robin Scott-Elliot ‏@RobinScottEllio 6 Jul 12

@SimonPeach any football club that uses the word 'brand' should be relegated to Scottish 3rd division and made to groundshare with Alloa

I was born in 86 so I missed it too. The only thing that compares in our lifetime was the beginning of the Advocaat era.

Even with the Advocaat era though we weren't being linked with the very best players in Europe though. When Souness it must have seemed like everyone was coming. Thank Christ there wasn't any internet back them. Our forums would be going off their nut with transfer rumours.

It was a biggish deal, but nothing on the scale of what it would be today.

Back in the late 80s early 90s, we considered ourselves to be as big as anyone and afraid of no-one in football terms.

At the time Rangers were probably one of the top 3 biggest clubs in the UK, and certainly one of the top 5; back then we used to think of Man Utd, Arsenal, Liverpool, Rangers and our detergent avoiding friends from the East End as being the big 5, with Spurs and Everton a step behind, then the likes of Leeds, Villa Newcastle etc.

Guest TravelingWilBEARy
Even with the Advocaat era though we weren't being linked with the very best players in Europe though. When Souness it must have seemed like everyone was coming. Thank Christ there wasn't any internet back them. Our forums would be going off their nut with transfer rumours.

I always wondered what the reaction would have been on FF and the rest if forums were around for the Mo Jo signing. Carnage.