Sir Alex - Never ever cede control (PLG v BF??)

I know the PLG v Barry Ferguson subject has been debated a lot over the years but now these words comes straight from the best manager of all time. And he highlights a few things that were the route of the PLG v BF debate.

"If the day came that the manager of Manchester United was controlled by the players - if the players decided how the training should be, what days they should have off, what the discipline should be, and what the tactics should be - then Manchester United would not be the Manchester United we know. I wasn't going to allow anyone to be stronger than I was. Your personality has to be bigger than theirs. There are occasions when you have to ask yourself whether certain players are affecting the dressing room atmosphere, the performance of the team, and your control of the players and staff. If they are, you have to cut the cord. There is absolutely no other way. It doesn't matter if the person is the best player in the world. Some English clubs have changed managers so many times that it creates power for the players in the dressing room. That is very dangerous. If the coach has no control, he will not last."

Agreed.

But Fergie was dealing with players from being a position of a living legend, with the larger than life persona. Without excusing the behavious of players at that time, Le Guen didn't have that. And as much as the players had too much control, I think PLG gave up too easily.

Fergie had these issues when he first went to Man Utd. Guys like McGrath, Hughes, Whiteside were all flexing their diddies when Fergie first tried to control the dressing room and he had to overcome that.

He had that issue throughout his career. Players like Lee Sharp, Paul Ince, Jaap Stam, Cantona, Roy Keane and Beckham were all jettisoned by Ferguson while they were at the height of their popularity. With hindsight it's easy to forget that selling each of those players was a gamble, they were revered by the support and the media and looked up to by their team mates.

Agreed.

But Fergie was dealing with players from being a position of a living legend, with the larger than life persona. Without excusing the behavious of players at that time, Le Guen didn't have that. And as much as the players had too much control, I think PLG gave up too easily.

I thought PLG came to us as a per-ordained legend. He was seen as the messiah. He was also supposed to be tough.

To me he seemed to get two main things 100% backwards:

1. He refused to listen to good advice from those more knowledgeable about Rangers and Scottish football.

2. He succumbed to player pressure.

He had the worst combination of acting both arrogantly and stupidly.

He wasn't the messiah, he was a very naughty boy!

But I agree, he clearly wasn't prepared to adjust his approach to suit the culture of our club. Something like this takes years, yet he wanted it to happen overnight.

Had he been more pragmatic and listened to advice then who knows, he could still be our manager.

Only thing is he expected us to be a stepping stone to a richer club in England, but he forgot to watch his step...

As for changing things at the club, maybe he needs to look up "change management".

I don't think he necessarily saw us a stepping stone I think it was seen as a coup us getting Le Guen he apparently knocked back a number of big clubs before coming to us.