You look at yesterday's game and see the result and think everything is rosy but the result doesn't, for me, tell the story of the game.

While travelling to Ibrox, you find out the starting 11 and I couldn't believe that Ally has switched the back line around so much just to ensure that our captain could be played.

Last game we played, Jig score a hat-trick, his first if his entire career and for that he deserved to start but never at CH but as a striker.

Because of Ally's apparent loyalty to Jig, he put a player (Faure) who's only solid position is at CH and moved him to RB & then dropped (not even on the bench) McAusland who has been outstanding.

He then forced out a striker (Little) to play on the left wing, a position he excelled in in one half of one game previously.

I believe that those tactical mistakes were to blame for our very poor 1st half performance.

We had lost our width down the right as Faure would hardly cross the halfway live as that's not his style, although Peralta was excellent at right mid.

The Arbroath team were very good for much of the game, played football & only lost it as the game wore on the the fitness did tell.

So, to sum up ... Yes, we scored 5 goals but as I said, that doesn't tell the whole story.

Admire the manager's loyalty but agree that this shoe-horning of players into the team won't work.

McCoist is going to have to make some difficult decisions this season and at some point will have to leave out his favoured players - or new signings. Won't be easy but he decided on squad depth so the buck stops with him.

Well, I would assume that mich of what we see from now on till the more important Cup games is blending of new and established players in a competitive environment. As long as we beat our league opposition, everything is "fine". One would hope that fine-tuning doesn't take that long and McCoist - who has the luxury right now - finds the right players and tactics for the respective opposition home and away.

Guest TravelingWilBEARy

I see 'shoe-horning' is the new Vogue term on message boards for those always looking for negatives. McCulloch slotted comfortably into Centre Half yesterday, not shoe-horned at all.

He scored a hat trick and won man of the match, for crying out loud.

I see 'shoe-horning' is the new Vogue term on message boards for those always looking for negatives. McCulloch slotted comfortably into Centre Half yesterday, not shoe-horned at all.

he was nothing like the best player on the park though despite his goals.

he also backed of and backed of when arbroath had the ball which allowed them to saunter into scoring positions and was very lucky that is didn't cost us a goal or 2.

Guest TravelingWilBEARy
he was nothing like the best player on the park though despite his goals.

he also backed of and backed of when arbroath had the ball which allowed them to saunter into scoring positions and was very lucky that is didn't cost us a goal or 2.

He was pretty clearly Rangers best and most inspirational player. He also made a few last ditch challenges which prevented certain goals from Arbroath. I don't know what it is about Jig that inspires such over analysis from people but he was clearly more than comfortable yesterday.

welcome to the board mate. And good to see another Bob Dylan fan on here. Steve C. I think is another; we might be able to form a bobcat loyal one day.:rfc:

As I said on the match-thread, the balance of the side was all wrong, hence why we struggled for so long to break them down.

My negative McCoist analysis had slipped off the radar of late with a series of convincing wins and decent performances, but yesterday was like last season all over.

In saying that, McCoist won't know what his best team is until they all have a spell playing in the same side, but as other say, Faure is never a RB, Peralta doesn't look like a RW, Little isn't a LW. If McCoist can't see that then he's on a hiding to nothing I'm afraid.

McAusland hasn't been outstanding. People bending the truth to moan about McCulloch's inclusion.

McAusland has done very well recently.

However, Ally shifted a CB (again who has been doing well), out to RB, and left a recognised RB sitting on the bench.....if he wanted Jig in defence, why not just drop Faure, and play Foster @ RB??? or why not play Foster & Faure in defence, and drop Daly to the bench.