Scottish Cup 4th Round Draw: Falkirk v Rangers

Our staff costs were £17.9m for the 13 months to 30/6/13.

But we're not talking total staff costs we're only talking player costs. That's all that counts when comparing how much you spend on the team. Sorry for the tautology but I thought it was was obvious what we were talking about. That figure just muddies the waters.

High wages and pay offs to the likes of Green and Ahmed don't make our team significantly better than Aberdeen's.

But we're not talking total staff costs we're only talking player costs. That's all that counts when comparing how much you spend on the team. Sorry for the tautology but I thought it was was obvious what we were talking about. That figure just muddies the waters.

High wages and pay offs to the likes of Green and Ahmed don't make our team significantly better than Aberdeen's.

i suspect that 5.26 million is all staff at aberdeen.

You referred to Aberdeen's total staff costs and not their players.

If you want to deduct directors' costs (including Ahmed), including their pay-offs included in the figure I quoted then it brings Rangers down to £16m.

You referred to Aberdeen's total staff costs and not their players.

If you want to deduct directors' costs (including Ahmed), including their pay-offs included in the figure I quoted then it brings Rangers down to £16m.

I explicitly said my figures might not be correct and it seems I misinterpreted the Aberdeen costs. But I think it's obvious that we're comparing player costs, so don't really get the obfuscation of the point by including our total staff costs, especially when there are some are grossly inflated. If you qualified it, I'd have understood it more, but I think the right thing to do would have been to state the correct Aberdeen and Rangers team costs.

The rest of the wages don't make the same impact on the pitch. That £16m goes down to something like £7.8m for player only costs which is the actual domain of discourse. Besides the current season is the one we want to compare and reports say we have reduced it dramatically.

Green and Ahmed were just examples of how our total wage bill is highly bloated while that doesn't make our team on the pitch any better. Subtracting them and giving the result seems to just be missing the whole point of the discussion. I may have had one of my figures wrong, but it wasn't deliberate or slight of hand...

Anyway, I'm pretty sure that our wage bill is not many orders of magnitude larger than quite a few non-OF SPL teams have had in the last 10 years. Teams that many have said were dross and not much better than the first division. There's seems to be an inconsistency there.

The rest of the wages don't make the same impact on the pitch. That £16m goes down to something like £7.8m for player only costs which is the actual domain of discourse. .

Is that £7.8m just a figure that you've pulled out the air as well?

Is that £7.8m just a figure that you've pulled out the air as well?

As well as what? Ironically, I've already cited a couple of references for my figures so why the rudeness? You seem to be having a go for the sake of it while being unable or unwilling to add to the actual point of discussion.

If you don't like the figures, as I've already said, provide them yourself. I'll be happy to be corrected with accurate information. I don't really have the inclination or personality type to research it exhaustively myself. Rangers are a hobby, not a job.

The reference for the £7.8m is from the Daily Mail given above, and I emphasised its dubious provenance and acknowledged it may not be correct. But I've also read that figure in many places eg:

http://sport.stv.tv/football/clubs/rangers/241983-ally-mccoist-defends-high-salary-and-says-wage-cut-not-linked-to-accounts/

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/rangers/mccoist-we-are-now-starting-to-motor-137952n.22305035

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/spfl-lower-divisions/rangers-rebel-group-deceiving-fans-says-mather-1-3119523

and thought I remembered it from the accounts so it seems close. I even qualified it with "something like".

In fact, I've just looked up the accounts and they agree with my figure:

http://www.rangers.co.uk/images/staticcontent/documents/AnnualReport2013.pdf

So tell me, what is the REAL figure?

Edited by calscot