The problem with that list is that other than McGregor none of them really made it at Rangers - Hutton had half a good season and Burke seemed to be always on the cusp of something, McCabe, Fleck and Ness were used sparingly when we were at the top and could have been huge had they stayed for the journey back to the top but guess we'll never know.

I think Hutton did 'make it', we sold him because we couldn't afford to turn it down, he'd been flying since Le Guen took over the season before. I agree that Burke, Adam and McCormack were allowed to leave having not fulfilled their potential. My point is can we blame the youth coaches for that or is that a first team issue?

I forgot to add Danny Wilson to the list too. Whether he, McCabe and Fleck would be the spine of the side had they stayed is anyone's guess. Ness looked like a lovely player but his injury record always meant he'd question marks over him.

Lewis MacLoed looks like a great prospect but until he's playing at a higher level it is hard to gauge.

As Calscot say's up thread who are we measuring Rangers against here? For example I wonder if Dylan McGeough will ever regret leaving us for 'them'. If he was as good as everyone claimed he'd have 50 first team matches under his belt with us by now, he'll be 30 before he achieves that with the Tims.

Dundee Utd are again being held up as the standard bearer for youth but Jonny Russell who I thought looked a real prospect now plays for Derby and Goodwillie who looked a talent once is back at Utd on loan. Perhaps Gauld and Armstrong will go higher in the game but we'll see. Scotland simply isn't producing exceptional players, not just us. We seem to be able to produce our fair share of okay ones though.

I think Hutton did 'make it', we sold him because we couldn't afford to turn it down, he'd been flying since Le Guen took over the season before. I agree that Burke, Adam and McCormack were allowed to leave having not fulfilled their potential. My point is can we blame the youth coaches for that or is that a first team issue?

I forgot to add Danny Wilson to the list too. Whether he, McCabe and Fleck would be the spine of the side had they stayed is anyone's guess. Ness looked like a lovely player but his injury record always meant he'd question marks over him.

Lewis MacLoed looks like a great prospect but until he's playing at a higher level it is hard to gauge.

As Calscot say's up thread who are we measuring Rangers against here? For example I wonder if Dylan McGeough will ever regret leaving us for 'them'. If he was as good as everyone claimed he'd have 50 first team matches under his belt with us by now, he'll be 30 before he achieves that with the Tims.

Dundee Utd are again being held up as the standard bearer for youth but Jonny Russell who I thought looked a real prospect now plays for Derby and Goodwillie who looked a talent once is back at Utd on loan. Perhaps Gauld and Armstrong will go higher in the game but we'll see. Scotland simply isn't producing exceptional players, not just us. We seem to be able to produce our fair share of okay ones though.

I agree there is no benchmark in Scotland the successes in Scotland are very random in my time watching football from Jess & Booth at Aberdeen to more recently the Hibs team that had Whittaker, Murray, Brown, Thomson and O'Connor in it.

I personally think the problem isn't a lack of talent it is more a lack of taking a risk and developing the players, we've had this habit of bringing in veterans or mid to late 20's players who while they're good we usually end up paying for them and giving them a hefty wage.

I really hope that we can move away from that

I agree there is no benchmark in Scotland the successes in Scotland are very random in my time watching football from Jess & Booth at Aberdeen to more recently the Hibs team that had Whittaker, Murray, Brown, Thomson and O'Connor in it.

Hibs did seem to produce a string of top Scottish talent at that time. However, while they seemed a good cup team, they were inconsistent in the league. They were certainly no match for the big two.

Hibs did seem to produce a string of top Scottish talent at that time. However, while they seemed a good cup team, they were inconsistent in the league. They were certainly no match for the big two.

I agree but I think Rangers and Celtic over the years have lost the ability to take good players and make them great.

For example David Robertson was a good player with Aberdeen but a great player with us same with players such as Andy Goram or Alan McLaren.

But I personally think the links of Steven Naismith, Kris Boyd or Kenny Miller all came with huge potential but never really improved under us. I know part of this is down to the teams they played in but it is something I think we really need to look at and improve.

One question would be: do we have exceptional playing talent at Auchenhowie or within Scotland at the moment? You could always wish for better products, better scouting and coaching. Yet, if the raw stuff ain't about (for a time at least), what can you do?

There are a dozen answers to that, but you would have to look long and hard to find exceptional Scottish talent out there. And if it is out there, does (or did) it actually want to come to Rangers? As we've seen before (and see now), making a grade at Ibrox is quite a struggle (for various reasons) and it might be easier for young players looking for a professional career to use a smaller (local) club as springboard. And fair enough.

Sometimes you do get young folk with broad chests who are willing to see through the mill of Rangers youth and reserve team. And while the talent is there, they quickly go over the top and become too broad for their shoes. Fleck, Ness, Wilson, Cole and Kyle Hutton spring to mind. It is a complex matter and simple answers are hard to find.

And as we see now (again) in the other thread, the Rangers support is not easily satisfied.

Rangers played their East End counterparts at U11, U12, U13 and U14 a couple of months ago.

U11's - won all 4 games (7-a-side) with 3 U10 players playing, one of whom scored the winner in 2 of those games

U12's - won 2 and lost 2 (7-a-side)

U13's - won 6-2

U14's - won 4-2

I also was home in October and watched the U11's beat Dundee Utd 8=0 and 10-0.

It suggests that, at least at the younger age groups, the club is doing something right. I couldnt answer about the older age groups, elfideldo is your man for that.

I agree but I think Rangers and Celtic over the years have lost the ability to take good players and make them great.

For example David Robertson was a good player with Aberdeen but a great player with us same with players such as Andy Goram or Alan McLaren.

But I personally think the links of Steven Naismith, Kris Boyd or Kenny Miller all came with huge potential but never really improved under us. I know part of this is down to the teams they played in but it is something I think we really need to look at and improve.

All 3 played under the same coaches, that tells it's own story!

Edited by Super Cooper

I personally thought Naismith improved tremendously whilst playing with us. Boyd didnt but I doubt ANY manager or coach would have got him to improve as he had no desire to improve his game - Miller came to us with potential the FIRST time around and he wasnt playing under Walter then..... when he came back he also was too old to have a desire to change his game.

I personally thought Naismith improved tremendously whilst playing with us. Boyd didnt but I doubt ANY manager or coach would have got him to improve as he had no desire to improve his game - Miller came to us with potential the FIRST time around and he wasnt playing under Walter then..... when he came back he also was too old to have a desire to change his game.

advocatt signed miller and eck sold him iirc.

Robertson improved at Rangers but Laudrup made him look like Cafu. Robertson's subsequent poor spell at an ordinary Leeds side backs that up I'm afraid, anyone playing behind Laudrup would look good.

Goram developed into a world class keeper, we've a great record improving goalies, our coaching of that position is as good as anyones.