Scottish Cup Draw Rangers v Dunfermline or Ayr

RANGERS will host Ayr United or Dunfermline in the last 16 of the Scottish Cup after the fifth round was drawn this afternoon at Hampden Park.

The Light Blues progressed to that stage on Saturday when they beat Falkirk 2-0 at Westfield courtesy of late goals from Nicky Law and David Templeton.

That followed an earlier home win in round three against Airdrieonians, where Jon Daly’s double and another Templeton counter led to a 3-0 success.

Now Ally McCoist’s men will take on one of their League One rivals at Ibrox, with the tie scheduled to be played on Saturday, February 8 as things stand.

Celtic have also been drawn at home to play Aberdeen though and one of the matches will have to move to another day under police orders.

Among those conducting the draw were former Gers forward Kenny Miller – who has been doing rehabilitation work at Murray Park – and ex-club secretary Campbell Ogilvie.

Ayr and the Pars drew 1-1 in their original tie on Saturday at Somerset Park and will replay tomorrow evening.

Rangers, of course, have already played both of their potential opponents in the league already this season as part of their current 13-match winning run in the title race.

Goals from Bilel Mohsni and Lewis Macleod secured a 2-0 success against the Honest Men in October before a 3-1 win over the Fifers in Glasgow almost four weeks ago.

Rangers are bidding to win the Scottish Cup for the first time this season since 2009, when Nacho Novo’s strike at the start of the second half gave them a 1-0 win over Falkirk.

McCoist’s men got to the fifth round last season, losing 3-0 at that stage to Dundee United at Tannadice.

They’re looking to emulate Gretna by reaching the final as a third-tier side. The former Borders outfit achieved that whilst playing in the Second Division in 2006.

Ticket prices and any amendments to the fixture date will be announced in due course via official club media channels.

http://www.rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/item/5711-ayr-or-pars-in-cup

That was getting squeeky bum time when those names kept coming out and neither us nor that mob had been drawn. I thought it was fated. I think Kenny Miller did too, as he was struggling to hold his laugh in.

You don't believe in the hot and cold balls then?

I think the disappointing thing for us is that we're already playing those teams four times this season... I hope its Ayr as I'd rather they got the money.

I'm hoping for Ayr too since I don't want us to get a kicking more often than is absolutely necessary.

Doddle, as good as a bye. Will give us a transfer window to prepare for the next round against Inverness, Celtic, Hibs or Dundee Utd. Bring King Kenny home please, as a start.

Is the club not spewing out too much money already?

Is the club not spewing out too much money already?

Oh we are, no doubt but right now we are stuck between a rock and a hard place, still in the cup with potential to be humiliated but as you rightly say, already spewing too much out. Releasing Perry, Hutton and Cribari should be a priority. Take the hit with one off pay off costs because quite simply it is a must. Templeton has also told friends he will probably need to leave in January. That is 4 high earners and first team has not been affected yet.

Ally wants to spend more, the board have let him spend this much so far so is there really a problem? It seemed to be non playing costs which were the problem.

Incidentally i don't think it says much that we have already spent so much and signed so many players and still need more. That in itself is poor.