SHIELS has played just 15 minutes of first team action in two months but agent Sam Morrow insists the player is not looking to move on.

DEAN Shiels’ agent is seeking talks with Rangers boss Ally McCoist to discover whether his client has a future at Ibrox.

The 28-year-old has played just 15 minutes of first-team football in the last two months – despite being fit for all of that time.

The Northern Ireland forward suffered medial-ligament damage against Annan in March and came back too early in August, managing only three games before suffering a relapse with his knee.

But agent Sam Morrow insists Shiels has been raring to go since November and is baffled as to why McCoist hasn’t picked him more.

After last month’s 4-0 win over Dunfermline, the Ibrox boss shot down rumours that Shiels had been told to find another club.

Now Morrow wants to speak to McCoist in person after revealing Shiels is desperate to stay with the team he loves.

He said: “Dean has been fit for two months now. He has been working hard and doing extra training – he’s champing at the bit to play again.

“We’re in the dark as to why he hasn’t featured more often. I left a message for Ally last week but he hasn’t got back to me yet.

“I appreciate this has been a hectic schedule for the club and I’m not trying to tell him how to do his job. I’m just looking to have a chat so we can help Dean to stay focused.

“You can become disillusioned when you’re not playing. It can be difficult doing all the hard graft during the week and then having nothing to show for it on a Saturday.

“In Dean’s case, there is added frustration because he wasn’t left out due to a loss of form but because of injury and it has been a long time since he was playing regularly.”

Shiels signed a four-year deal at Ibrox after leaving Kilmarnock in 2012 and has no intention of moving.

But Morrow admits his client’s international career will suffer if he continues to be left on the sidelines by McCoist this season.

He said: “All Dean wants to do is play for Glasgow Rangers, the club that he loves.

“I’m sure Ally will get in touch with me whenever he gets a minute but we’re just looking for a little

reassurance from him.

“There were rumours the other week that Dean had been told he could leave if he could find another club but that’s absolute rubbish. I saw Ally has confirmed that too.

“His position is different from fringe players who haven’t been getting a game for other reasons. I’m sure that it’s just a matter of time before Dean is playing for Rangers again.

“He’s a talented boy and it’s just over a year-and-a-half since PFA Scotland shortlisted him as one of the four best players in the top flight.

“Dean wants to show the fans what he is capable of and there is also his situation with Northern Ireland to be taken into consideration.

“He was a regular starter under Michael O’Neill when he was fit but he needs to be playing for Rangers to be considered.”

Meanwhile, Kenny Miller could see his hopes of a third spell with Rangers dashed because of a transfer stand-off with his Vancouver strike partner.

The 33-year-old has admitted he would love to return to Ibrox but Miller is unlikely to be allowed to move in this month’s window.

The former Scotland star will be needed at his MLS club after Brazilian striker Camilo Sanvezzo was at the centre of a transfer mystery.

The 25-year-old – who is believed to be unhappy he earns just a quarter of Miller’s wages – has been pictured undergoing a medical at Mexican side Queretaro FC, despite Vancouver claiming he’s still under contract for another year.

Whitecaps are desperately trying to get the ‘transfer’ declared void after president Bob Lenarduzzi said: “It’s unacceptable and inappropriate.”

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/rangers-striker-dean-shiels-determined-2999685

The problem with a club like Rangers is that if we sign a player and give him a pay rise, if he doesn't play well then who do you sell him to? The level he apparently belongs to can no long afford him, and if he's not good enough for us then why would he be good enough for another team that can afford him?

This problem is multiplied several times by the fact we're in the third tier.

The one time we got around this was Souness buying up established English internationals. It meant that, even if they failed at Ibrox, there were big clubs down south willing to take a punt on them. It was all part of his strategy.

Outwith Rangers and Celtic, I think Shiels was quite regularly one of the best players in the top tier and that's been Ally's tactic: assemble a selection of the 'best of the rest' so to speak and Shiels was one of them. Shiels, Templeton, Black, Daly and Law all fall into this 'best of the rest' category and signing that bunch of players was a pretty smart, if not obvious move on Ally's part.

Sandaza fell into the category too, but he was even less of a success than Shiels. It has to be said that while a lot of fans predicted that signing Sandaza would prove to be a mistake due to him being a donkey, many fans were delighted by the signing. .

I think in both the cases of Shiels and Sandaza a fair number of our fans had wanted these players signed which makes it awkward to pillory Ally for the decision to sign them even although they've ultimately been disappointing. The idea was never to sign world-beaters anyway, it was simply to sign some experienced flare for the lower leagues to help the team and help put bums on seats.

I think the problem we have now with a player like Dean Shiels (and we have this problem with others in the team too) is the question of what's the point in keeping him when we need to be starting to assemble a team to take on the top flight.

With Shiels turning 29 in a few weeks it'll mean he's on the wrong side of 30 for our top flight return and we have a number of players in the same category. Black turns 29 this March and Foster turns 29 in July and Smith turns 29 in August, so there's 4 1st team players straight away who'll be turning 30 next year.

Meanwhile... Jig turns 36 in May and coincidentally, Jon Daly turned 31 today.

Ally needs to seriously consider whether he's just building a team to get us back to the top or whether he's also starting to build a team to compete for the top flight title. It really needs to be both because he won't have an immediate transfer kitty of any significance or some sort of magical warchest on our first season back in the top flight. It could take us maybe 3 seasons to get back on our feet financially and be able to splash serious cash on players in the top flight, so the team to start competing immediately needs to be built over the next 18 months.

Outwith Rangers and Celtic, I think Shiels was quite regularly one of the best players in the top tier and that's been Ally's tactic: assemble a selection of the 'best of the rest' so to speak and Shiels was one of them. Shiels, Templeton, Black, Daly and Law all fall into this 'best of the rest' category and signing that bunch of players was a pretty smart, if not obvious move on Ally's part.

Sandaza fell into the category too, but he was even less of a success than Shiels. It has to be said that while a lot of fans predicted that signing Sandaza would prove to be a mistake due to him being a donkey, many fans were delighted by the signing. .

I think in both the cases of Shiels and Sandaza a fair number of our fans had wanted these players signed which makes it awkward to pillory Ally for the decision to sign them even although they've ultimately been disappointing. The idea was never to sign world-beaters anyway, it was simply to sign some experienced flare for the lower leagues to help the team and help put bums on seats.

I think the problem we have now with a player like Dean Shiels (and we have this problem with others in the team too) is the question of what's the point in keeping him when we need to be starting to assemble a team to take on the top flight.

With Shiels turning 29 in a few weeks it'll mean he's on the wrong side of 30 for our top flight return and we have a number of players in the same category. Black turns 29 this March and Foster turns 29 in July and Smith turns 29 in August, so there's 4 1st team players straight away who'll be turning 30 next year.

Meanwhile... Jig turns 36 in May and coincidentally, Jon Daly turned 31 today.

Ally needs to seriously consider whether he's just building a team to get us back to the top or whether he's also starting to build a team to compete for the top flight title. It really needs to be both because he won't have an immediate transfer kitty of any significance or some sort of magical warchest on our first season back in the top flight. It could take us maybe 3 seasons to get back on our feet financially and be able to splash serious cash on players in the top flight, so the team to start competing immediately needs to be built over the next 18 months.

Ive been saying the same for a while, yet can also see the argument FOR the signings as its a catch22 due to promotion being an absolute must every season.

Just read Peter Lovenkrands is out of contract in the summer and at 33 qualifies for a 3 year deal with us :D