Gordon Waddell: Altruistic Ann Budge puts money-grabbing Green and Whyte to shame

Didn't even mention you or quote you. I just asserted that a certain presumption of other people's opinion based on such a very simple premise is stupid. To be attributed, it's all depends whether you subscribe to that type of thinking.

If you don't, then fine. I'm not going to presume to know one way of the other.

So who were you aiming your comment at, if it wasn't me? It seems strange to make such a post if you weren't aiming at someone, and why would you make it? Hmmmm. CCertainly came across as a you making a dig.

I was referring to WW2. Sorry if you feel that we had no business being in that.

Really?

You were referring to WW2 when you wrote:

Given the SNP's calls for Scots not to join the war effort, is it really too much to think that those who did make sacrifices may still have views about that?

You're now claiming that the SNP called on Scots not to join the fight against Hitler? I would normally call on you to furnish evidence of this surreal claim, but both you and I know that you were *not* referring to WW2.

You were referring to Iraq, an illegal and immoral war in which countless innocents were murdered by allied forces and a war against which the SNP, to its eternal credit, was the first party to raise its voice in Parliament.

I hesitate to involve myself in this discussion.

The leader of the SNP during WW2 was Douglas Young. He advised and spoke against Scots serving outside Scottish national boundaries. He was imprisoned for refusing to be conscripted in 1942. Many of the leading lights of the then SNP formed the Scottish Neutrality League.

I should state I am not a nationalist; not a Scots nationalist, not a British nationalist, nor an Albanian nationalist. I prefer an internationalist approach that perceives there is more to unite rather than divide.

I hesitate to involve myself in this discussion.

The leader of the SNP during WW2 was Douglas Young. He advised and spoke against Scots serving outside Scottish national boundaries. He was imprisoned for refusing to be conscripted in 1942. Many of the leading lights of the then SNP formed the Scottish Neutrality League.

I should state I am not a nationalist; not a Scots nationalist, not a British nationalist, nor an Albanian nationalist. I prefer an internationalist approach that perceives there is more to unite rather than divide.

Those were the views of Young, not of the SNP, and they should be understood for what they were - he was making a political point about the legal extent of the act of union and the powers of parliament. He himself actually volunteered to join up in 1939 but was rejected on grounds of his age.

I wholeheartedly agree that an internationalist approach is the best approach to take - but "international" means between nations, so the problem is not that being a nation is divisive. You can choose to be a progressive, constructive nation or an agressive, destructive one.

So who were you aiming your comment at, if it wasn't me? It seems strange to make such a post if you weren't aiming at someone, and why would you make it? Hmmmm. CCertainly came across as a you making a dig.

If I wanted to aim it at you personally, I'd have quoted you directly - which is what I usually do when I want to counter to what someone is saying.

This time there seemed a possible inference, in what seems a less than clear argument, that it might go down the road of a premise which contends that fighting in a war defines that you will have a certain viewpoint on independence. I wanted to shine a light on the flaw of that way of thinking in case that's the way it went - a pre-emptive counter if you like. The dig is to that way of thinking rather than anyone in particular.

If you don't think that way then all I can see that I've done is but help to clarify that...