Scotland squad for the friendly with Poland

Scotland squad for the friendly with Poland

Goalkeepers

Matt Gilks, David Marshall, Allan McGregor

Defenders

Phil Bardsley, Christophe Berra, Gordon Greer, Grant Hanley, Alan Hutton, Russell Martin, Andrew Robertson, Steven Whittaker

Midfielders

Charlie Adam, Ikechi Anya, Barry Bannan, Scott Brown, Chris Burke, Darren Fletcher, James Forrest, James Morrison, Charlie Mulgrew, Robert Snodgrass

Forwards

Steven Fletcher, Ross McCormack, Steven Naismith

They were raving last night on sport sound about Robertson of the Dundee Hibs. Fabulous going forward but needs to develop his defending!

Call me old fashioned, call me out of touch, call me Tiger Shaw but I kind of like my defenders the other way round.

By way of explanation, I was only listening to find out if the Stranraer game was on.

Still find it incredible how Dundee Utd spotted the kid Robertson 3 divisions down from them and we ignored him having been in the same division and actually played against him 4 times. Our fans were raving about the kid when we played them. Him and a few others from QP in fact.

Still find it incredible how Dundee Utd spotted the kid Robertson 3 divisions down from them and we ignored him having been in the same division and actually played against him 4 times. Our fans were raving about the kid when we played them. Him and a few others from QP in fact.

Will never be in our first team ahead of Walkace for what 5-6 years? Can't buy every promising player if we have better already with years ahead of them. Had he been a right back however?

Unfortunately for him LB isn't a position we require anyone for at present

I Accept Gordon’s Decision

LEE WALLACE admits he was disappointed not to be picked for the Scotland squad for next month’s friendly against Poland but he accepted Gordon Strachan’s decision.

The national team boss got in contact with the Gers star to tell him he had not made it into his 24-man squad with 19-year-old Dundee United left back Andrew Robertson getting a call up and Sunderland full-back Phil Bardsley also returning to bolster the manager’s defensive options.

Wallace, of course, has been outstanding for the Light Blues this season having made 30 appearances in all competitions and found the net twice.

His marauding runs and deliveries from the left flank have also set up so many goals for the League One leaders and this was highlighted again last weekend when his superb cross allowed Jon Daly to head home Rangers’ crucial second goal against Ayr United at Somerset Park.

Speaking today at Murray Park he said: “Of course there was that bit of disappointment but at the same time, and as I said to Gordon Strachan on the phone, I appreciated the call and it was good management.

“He said I deserved a call and he was aware of what I was doing and I was just missing out this time around.

“Obviously some of the main men are back. Darren Fletcher is the most experienced and the pick of the guys that are back involved.

"There’s great competition in the squad now, the team is doing well and the manager has done great.

“I enjoyed the squads I was in and who knows if I if I am still in the plans or not? I’ll just have to do what I’ve always done and that is focus on what I do in here and what I do for Rangers on a Saturday.

“That’s how I see things. I’m never going to get too negative about the situation, I’ll always stay focused on what I need to do in here and that’s how it will stay.”

Wallace believes the competition for places in the Scotland squad is getting stronger and stronger but he insists that can only be good for the national team going forward.

He said: “I’ve said it before the manager is getting the team back on the right track and there’s definitely been progress, I’ve felt that even training with the squads. It’s also been evident in some of the results so we are definitely moving in the right direction.

“You always relish competition. That’s the nature of the game and it always helps because when you have that competition you know you need to be on your game.

“When you go into the squads you need to do well and stay in the manager’s plans. Obviously if that comes around again that’s what I’ll be trying to look to do.”

Also speaking this morning at Murray Park, Gers manager Ally McCoist was asked if he was surprised by Wallace’s omission from the squad.

He said: “I probably was a little, yes, but if I’m going to be honest about it I’m over it quite quickly because it obviously means he can concentrate totally on our league games.

“But Gordon doesn’t tell me how to pick my team and I’m certainly not going to tell him how to pick his. He’s doing absolutely fine.”

http://www.rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/item/6368-i-accept-gordon%E2%80%99s-decision