Transfer window - who would come in given our predicament

Guest Thenorthlondonblue

That would be the same midfield that Fergie and co were streets ahead of in the old firm game a few weeks back?

Gravesen is an utter donkey to be brutally honest .... i thought Adam was slow, but he looks like a 100m sprinter next to Gravesen!

Yes was going to mention Ferguson was streets ahead in that game but its only 1 game.

Part of my point is Gravesen came from Real Madrid, whereas we are looking at Falkirk and Hibs players to make us good again.

True, but don't equate signing some big name from Europe as necessarily a good thing ..... how many times did we sign people with big reputations (Capucho, etc) who turned out to be total donkeys in the Scottish game, whilst people signed for next to nothing from Scottish clubs (like big Marv) were a success in our league

I'd much rather see us concentrate on getting young Scottish players in who want to play for our club, rather than some uninterested donkey from abroad!

True, but don't equate signing some big name from Europe as necessarily a good thing ..... how many times did we sign people with big reputations (Capucho, etc) who turned out to be total donkeys in the Scottish game, whilst people signed for next to nothing from Scottish clubs (like big Marv) were a success in our league

I'd much rather see us concentrate on getting young Scottish players in who want to play for our club, rather than some uninterested donkey from abroad!

Exactly Jim.

Why some fans get hung up on having to sign players who have "made it" is beyond me.

There are plenty of players who came through the ranks of smaller teams that went on to be outstanding players yet some of our fans would rather we went for the established players with established teams - doesn't mean anything unless they can adapt to our game in Scotland.

The main thing for us is to get players who can improve the team and the squad and, for the rest of this season, ensure 2nd place but with an eye on next season and challenging Celtic for the title - because lets be honest (my opinion only) they are not that good of a team and are definitely there for the taking and that is WITH those players who came from established clubs.

Their big-name, big-money signings in Graveson, JVoH and KM have hardly set the heather alight thus far for them - I thought Graveson would be a great signing for them but have to agree with Jim.... he looks mince !

You need to get a right balance with experienced players who have played at a reasonable level in europe plus young hungry players. Right now we seem to be concentrating only on the young scottish players.

Id like an experienced name come to the club as the average age of the team has really lowered recently.

You need to get a right balance with experienced players who have played at a reasonable level in europe plus young hungry players. Right now we seem to be concentrating only on the young scottish players.

Id like an experienced name come to the club as the average age of the team has really lowered recently.

Gribz,

You used Gravesen as your example and he did nothing in Europe when he went to Madrid, he also struggled to hold down a first team place - not the best example for you to use I would suggest.

I know what you are saying though and agree we could be doing with some experience in there - I always liked the way Souness built his first Gers team - he built a spine of the team which was experienced and tough (physically AND mentally) and it reaped great rewards for us.

Gribz,

You used Gravesen as your example and he did nothing in Europe when he went to Madrid, he also struggled to hold down a first team place - not the best example for you to use I would suggest.

I think they under estimated him at Madrid due to Zidane, Beckham and Co. But even before that he was always a solid player for Everton in the EPL and they missed him to start with until Cahill and Arteta came onto a game.

Id still rather be looking to buy Madrid's bench than Falkirk players.

Id still rather be looking to buy Madrid's bench than Falkirk players.

Best statement on here for ages....

Has David Muurays continued downsizing of our ambitions really hit us that hard that Falkirk players are who we are looking at to take us forward?

As for Graveson, I'd take him tomorrow along with Kenny Miller, Nakamotor and Viniger of Castlemilk - far better than anything (BF and Prso as exceptions) we have.

Face facts folks, that is why they are in the last 16 of the CL and streets ahead of us both on and off the pitch at the moment. And signing Gow et al won't change that. We need both quantity and quality at the moment and have neither.

BTW Gribz, the answer to your question regarding comp for Le Guen, it is rumoured to have been �£2M

Cammy F

I'm not defending our signing policy, but we do have to be realistic, and until we get rid of DM, this is something we all have to get used to .... however, we shouldn't equate signing supposed superior foreign players like Gravesen, with success. Celtic would have got where they were WITHOUT him this season, i have no doubts about that! Most celtic fans i talk to don't rate the guy and would rather have him out of the team!

Nakamura is quality, but how often do we unearth a foreign diamond, and Kenny Miller, well isnt he the exact reasonable Scottish signing that we have just been slating in this thread?

Best statement on here for ages....

Has David Muurays continued downsizing of our ambitions really hit us that hard that Falkirk players are who we are looking at to take us forward?

As for Graveson, I'd take him tomorrow along with Kenny Miller, Nakamotor and Viniger of Castlemilk - far better than anything (BF and Prso as exceptions) we have.

Face facts folks, that is why they are in the last 16 of the CL and streets ahead of us both on and off the pitch at the moment. And signing Gow et al won't change that. We need both quantity and quality at the moment and have neither.

BTW Gribz, the answer to your question regarding comp for Le Guen, it is rumoured to have been £2M

Cammy F

I will agree to disagree then.

It doesn't always matter which team you come from but the talent you have, the manner in which you adapt to the game in the country you go to, determination and application (Ian Ferguson came from St Mirren and he seemed to turn out ok for us.......)

As for the 3 you mention from Celtic I wouldn't want Gravesen, I think he is pish, but then again we agree to disagree. Nakamura has a great free-kick but he still doesn't convince me either. As for JvoH, given our struggles to score (Boyd aside) I would probably take him.

The bigger issue for me is not WHO they have but the amount of money they seem to be spending on their players - they ARE miles ahead of us on AND off the pitch.

As for paying PLG 2 mill, would this not suggest he was sacked as opposed to walked ?? Either way that is a ton of money for a 7 month stint !

BTW Gribz, the answer to your question regarding comp for Le Guen, it is rumoured to have been �£2M

Cammy F

Thats unbelievable. Not just the comp but the fact Murray can spill pay offs right left and centre but wont pay a penny for a player other than SPL guys who are low wages. :admin:

So much for that article on here somewhere saying that Le Guen walked away without a penny and just his dignity intact!! :admin: