http://www.gersnet.co.uk/index.php/latest-news/239-renewals-between-a-rock-and-a-hard-place

The last few years have been hugely difficult for Rangers fans. Administration, dysfunctional directors and confused coups from ‘Rangers men’ who believe they would be better placed to run the club; all this contributes to an ongoing period of uncertainty and frustration for many bears. Time is a great healer they say but, in actual fact, we appear no closer to finding genuine stability for Rangers football club in the short term – indeed the decision-making for the average fan is now even more of a challenge than before.

Why? Well, the deadline for renewing season tickets is fast approaching. While some fans still have around two weeks to make up their mind, those who pay in instalments only have until next Monday to confirm their payment plan. Thus, with the club waiting until this Friday to finally publish their 120-day Review (no-one knows if this will be an update or a detailed report), fans have next to no time to decide whether or not the current board can be entrusted with millions more season ticket cash for 2014/15. Meanwhile, at the time of writing, Dave King and the Union of Fans have similarly failed to outline why their Trust fund is a better option or, indeed, how this would even work. To say fans are stuck between a rock and a hard place is an understatement.

In an ideal world we’d all renew regardless. Despite the under-performance and inconsistency of the team on the park, next season is sure to be an exciting one and it’s safe to say will present much more of a challenge than the first two stages of the ‘journey’ back to the SPFL Premiership. Not only will Hearts be as eager as us to return to the top league at the first time of asking, there’s a good chance another Premiership team could be joining us both. In addition, as the existing Championship table shows, there will be at least two more teams more than capable of forming a title/promotion challenge for next season. Add in the recent defeats we’ve suffered from teams like Raith Rovers and Queen of the South, it’s safe to say next year will be far from a walkover for Rangers. The fact is for 2014/15 the SPFL Championship will be the most exciting competition in Scotland so I can’t be the only bear looking forward to the challenge. Renewal of our season ticket should be automatic.

Yet it isn’t. Not only are thousands of fans unable to trust the board of directors with their money, for those uninterested in the often tedious boardroom politics the match-day experience is also average at best. Sure, it may appear somewhat bizarre to complain about a team (and manager) who look likely to deliver an unbeaten league campaign while scoring over 100 goals but aside from a few sporadic early season performances we’ve really struggled to achieve genuine quality home or away on a consistent basis. This is perhaps summed up by the difficulty in picking a Player of the Year for 2013/14. Yes, a few lads have done well in patches but I don’t think any player (and I include Lee Wallace in that) can really say they’ve been a stand-out all season. I don’t want to be hyper-critical but there really isn’t a lot to be positive about ahead of a new campaign. In that sense, I’m eager to hear from the manager in how he intends to address this ahead of renewals. So far, like many others who form part of the Rangers saga, he hasn’t.

Of course, that’s possibly an unfair expectation when McCoist, like the rest of us, is supposedly unaware of his budget for next season. For example, we’re told Graham Wallace wanted squad wage cuts (to the manager’s credit, he seems to be the only one who has accepted a decrease) while recent loans show the club apparently doesn’t have the finance to complete a season of football – this only one year after raising £22million via an initial share offer, not to mention two tranches of match-day ticket income (in itself around the same figure) since 2012. Clearly, season ticket money (possibly around £12million for the coming year) defines the club’s operations going forward. Yet, many fans are being asked to renew without knowing exactly how competitive the club is going to be. With that in mind the content of the 120-day Review is now overdue and vital to the future of the club.

I won’t bore the reader of this article with the plethora of questions about the review but the detail simply has to reveal the club’s direction for next season and beyond. While every single Rangers fan wants our club to be of a right-size for future demands, it’s also clear it needs to be re-capitalised for the challenges ahead. However I’d also suggest no fan wants money to be wasted on short-term player signings but instead (as what should have happened in 2012) the club stream-lined and positioned to be self-sustainable for the long term. This means investment in youth, scouting and the stadium to bring success for many more years to come. Yes, this isn’t easy to achieve (ask Sir David Murray) but we’re told Graham Wallace is of the highest calibre (and he’s apparently very well paid) to clearly explain how this is possible in his review. I’d certainly say four months is ample time to provide a report which offers the kind of detail and evidence based submissions to excite every Rangers fan about our future. In short, Wallace must make his plan one we can all buy into one way or the other for many years ahead. No bland generalisations, no business-speak and, well, no excuses.

In saying that, what is the alternative for Rangers fans? Well, Dave King and the Union of Fans appear equally less than convincing so far. Statement after statement from King implores us not to renew our season tickets while the Union of Fans promise us some sort of Trust fund to release our money on a match-per-match basis to the club. Yet, a few months down the line, they’re also no closer to revealing their plans in that regard. Can fans retain their preferred seat? Who or what is entrusted with the property securities they’ve requested? What happens if the club enters further financial difficulty in the interim? So far, we’ve seen no answer to any of these questions. Similarly, Dave King’s actions have been less than consistent as well. Just how keen is he to invest in the club and what affect will his own past business dealings have on his and Rangers’ reputation? No-one can deny King’s previous impressive financial commitment but that cannot make him immune from the same questions we have of the incumbents. The lack of clarity in that regard remains a huge disappointment.

To conclude then, despite months of uncertainty and superficial debate, Rangers fans remain no closer to a solution for their renewal conundrum. I don’t doubt the vast majority of last season’s 36,000 season ticket holders want to sign up for what will be a more exciting challenge next term but I also believe our incredible passion has been taken advantage of all too often in recent years for fans to hand over their hard-earned no questions asked. There’s absolutely no shame or disloyalty in wanting more for our money. Taking that into account, I’m disappointed in the club’s disregard for open fan consultation vis-à-vis the review. However, I feel equally let down by Dave King in his inability to turn words into demonstrable action by means of a viable alternative to the status quo.

In light of all the above, I can’t be the only fan who feels they’re in an impossible position ahead of the forthcoming deadlines. This may well change today, tomorrow, or later in the week but it seems our annual investment will continue to be the pawn of others for the foreseeable future. Rather than stand by and let ourselves be used in such a manner, I’d hope fans would now begin to realise our power when it comes to Rangers and actually become a player ourselves instead of being played. Only then can we really have a proper say in the future. Anything else will just see that rock become a harder and harder place….

I agree that the Dave King/UoF proposals have been disappointing. The questions that you have raised are very valid and the fact that they have not been addressed is very disappointing.

The thing is that the UoF are proposing that the cash goes to the club, but it's the timing that's the issue. they ignore the fact that some of the cashflow doesn't flow out evenly. There's capital expenditure, repayment of loans (whether we are happy or not, they do exist), signing on fees and even transfer fees. There seems to be no allowances being made for that.

Many businessmen I have spoken to have said that the idea that a quoted PLC grants security over its biggest assets to an unnamed entity is a non-starter for many reasons, and perhaps King knows this already?

I've also still to be convinced that the plan is in the best interests of the club. If the directors are planning to do something with the stadium and Auchenhowie then perhaps it is, but if they are not, then it may not be.

As for the business plan, I can only see that being a massive disappointment and will not give anyone any additional reassurances.

Yet again, we are left with both sides being a big let down.

I cant agree that the Championship next season will be the most competitive league. I see absolutely no reason why we should not win that division by 20+ points.

Hearts are a shambles, and have no money to buy decent players. Their kids are clearly not that good, given that they are by far the worst team in the top flight this season.

As for the others, Dumbarton, Cowdenbeath, QotS, Falkirk etc should pose no greater threat than this, or last, season's teams. The difference will be in attitude from our players, who will know they wont get it as easy, and will need to get out of first gear to see off this collection of journeymen pros and part-timers.

As far as renewing the ST goes, the season ticket trust is something we just have to give a chance to, especially when the inevitable damp squib review is "updated" at the end of this week.

I asked someone close to the ST Trust at the match on Saturday a few questions about it, and while King has to turn up, speak up, and put his cards on the table to convince fans of his commitment, I understand this week will see a lot (not all) of the questions answered regarding the status and tactics behind the ST Trust.

I cant agree that the Championship next season will be the most competitive league. I see absolutely no reason why we should not win that division by 20+ points.

Hearts are a shambles, and have no money to buy decent players. Their kids are clearly not that good, given that they are by far the worst team in the top flight this season.

As for the others, Dumbarton, Cowdenbeath, QotS, Falkirk etc should pose no greater threat than this, or last, season's teams. The difference will be in attitude from our players, who will know they wont get it as easy, and will need to get out of first gear to see off this collection of journeymen pros and part-timers.

As far as renewing the ST goes, the season ticket trust is something we just have to give a chance to, especially when the inevitable damp squib review is "updated" at the end of this week.

I asked someone close to the ST Trust at the match on Saturday a few questions about it, and while King has to turn up, speak up, and put his cards on the table to convince fans of his commitment, I understand this week will see a lot (not all) of the questions answered regarding the status and tactics behind the ST Trust.

First of all, in an ideal world, we should win next season's league by a suitable margin but I don't think it will be as simple as that. Especially if the board want to implement cuts and/or we don't improve the squad or manager's apparently struggles to motivate them for some games.

As for the Trust stuff, I don't doubt we'll hear more but I think it's prudent upon us to ensure King does answer our questions in full - especially when they come from people more versed in business strategies than myself.

However, as it stands, we do remain in a very difficult position and the situation is worrying. We need answers asap.

The UoF have confirmed the money would go to the club up front.

That's true (and had slipped my mind).

However, there's still no vehicle in place and that's a worry as deadlines approach.

One barometer of the club's policy will be when signing targets or their agents appear in the press complaining about derisory offers to sign for Rangers. A bitter pill to swallow but it will show there's some sanity in signing policy at least.

One barometer of the club's policy will be when signing targets or their agents appear in the press complaining about derisory offers to sign for Rangers. A bitter pill to swallow but it will show there's some sanity in signing policy at least.

This is where we need honesty.

Make the budget the budget. We've no divine right to success.

That's true (and had slipped my mind).

However, there's still no vehicle in place and that's a worry as deadlines approach.

I think unless the details and mechanisms for thIs are in place this week or early next week at the latest, the ST Trust is going to be a huge disappointment, leaving many supporters frustrated who will just then re-new.

Timing is critical here.

I think unless the details and mechanisms for thIs are in place this week or early next week at the latest, the ST Trust is going to be a huge disappointment, leaving many supporters frustrated who will just then re-new.

Timing is critical here.

I can understand why the UoF want to go down this road and the security idea particularly does have some merit. However, like you and BD say, there remains some questions about its viability so I'd expect to hear more if they want the idea to be a success.