While not being a fan of his tactics and selections either, I'd suggest people should take a step back and look at what it takes to make a manager being sacked or deciding enough is enough. On the basis of the current team and season just past, not stuff two or three years back. What would matter for those who pay McCoist to force him out or send him away? In the cold light of day, there is just one thing that would be a goer: a better and more prominent manager for a smaller wage. Which is a non-starter.

I don't know what a 'prominent manager' is but you would have to be off your rocker to think we couldn't get a far better manager than Ally on a cheaper wage. Even anyone in the SPL and SFL 1 would be an improvement.

I've taken plenty steps back and all I see is a manager who has been in charge for years, earned millions and is grossly incompetent.

Ally isn't going to walk away. That is the problem.

Ally will either walk away of his own accord or be forced to walk away one way or another if he doesn't get us automatic promotion back to the top flight in the coming season. We must finish first and preferably comfortably. Having to go through play-offs would be seen as failure.

If clubs like Napoli, Dortmund, Barcelona, Ajax and Porto can bring through youngsters in the first team and compete in Europe and win trophies domestically, I'm sure we could bring through a single new youngstar to compete in the second tier of Scottish football with a budget 2 or 3 times as big as the next competitor.

McCoist should be winning next season with his eyes closed, he has such an easy job.

People talk about the 'big gambles' of playing in our tin pot league. I say to hell with the whole thing and let's apply some long term, strategic vision.

In an ideal world but Rangers at this moment in time are a million miles away from an ideal world.

Again I can't believe I am defending ally but he has given youngsters their chance. Lets be honest here, if we had 11 Lewis McLoeds or Fraser Airds we would be sorted but we don't.

A long term vision would be great but we have not had the correct custodian to deliver this and probably never will have. Like it or not Rangers must win every game - if we dont its akin to a major disaster

If clubs like Napoli, Dortmund, Barcelona, Ajax and Porto can bring through youngsters in the first team and compete in Europe and win trophies domestically, I'm sure we could bring through a single new youngstar to compete in the second tier of Scottish football with a budget 2 or 3 times as big as the next competitor.

We aren't even living and playing in the same context as those European clubs any more. Not only are we no longer in the same league as most of them, but the ones you mention along with many other top clubs in Europe are actually just as likely to buy in their young talent as they are to bring through their own youths. It's extremely common for them to spend big money on 16 to 20 year olds.

Youth system wonder kids with huge sell-on values like Mario Gotze don't grow on trees at clubs like Dortmund and that's why they go out and spend 4 million on a 20 year old defender like Hummels or 4.5 million on a 20 year old striker like Lewandowski and so on & so on.

People see these clubs playing with talented young teams and automatically think their youth systems must be magic and praise them for bringing through young talent, but more often than not their young talent is bought in for big money.

Ally will either walk away of his own accord or be forced to walk away one way or another if he doesn't get us automatic promotion back to the top flight in the coming season. We must finish first and preferably comfortably. Having to go through play-offs would be seen as failure.

Ah, I see - that didn't seem to be what you were saying the last time, then it was only the bit prior to the "or" here - which I can't envisage.

Ah, I see - that didn't seem to be what you were saying the last time, then it was only the bit prior to the "or" here - which I can't envisage.

I just presumed you had missed the rest of the sentence which you originally quoted Steve?

but we all know it's inevitable that he'll walk away at some point, it's only a matter of when and whether he's forced out or not

In an ideal world but Rangers at this moment in time are a million miles away from an ideal world.

Again I can't believe I am defending ally but he has given youngsters their chance. Lets be honest here, if we had 11 Lewis McLoeds or Fraser Airds we would be sorted but we don't.

A long term vision would be great but we have not had the correct custodian to deliver this and probably never will have. Like it or not Rangers must win every game - if we dont its akin to a major disaster

Which youth players were introduced last season on a regular basis? We played 2 youngsters regularly and even when the league was over continued to play ageing players.

In the cold light of day i think it is the pay off that is keeping am in a job.. I think celtic have just got themselves a better manager and probably not on allys wage. (was on 200k at stromsgodet)

After admin, he got a contract till this summer, which was as far as I am aware only renewed* way after the new board took their seats and saw what transpired on the pitch.

*There has been next to now official word on this.

Just want to add to my previous post by saying that you should really take a proper look at the Dortmund first team squad.

They currently only have three players (Reus, Schmelzer & Sahin) who are products of their youth system, but you can't count Reus & Sahin because they let Sahin go to Real 3 years ago and bought him back recently for 7 million euros.

Reus was a Dortmund youth from he was 7 till 17 yrs old, but then left and joined Rot Weiss Ahlen in the bottom tiers of German football before making a name for himself at Mönchengladbach and eventually being bought back by Dortmund in 2012 at the age of 23 for 17.1 million Euros.

On top of purchases like Hummels, Lewandowski, Reus and Sahin who cost Dortmund a combined 32.5 million Euros, their squad also consists of players like Mkhitaryan (bought from Shakhtar last year for 27.5 million Euros), Papastathopoulos (bought last year for 9.5 million Euros), Jojic (bought in January for 2 million Euros) and no doubt others I've missed.....

So really, Dortmund's current 1st team squad only consists of ONE direct product of their youth system who's been given a chance and stayed at the club; their left back Schmelzer.

The rest of their team has been assembled at a cost of well over 70 million Euros on transfer fees alone and supplemented with high quality freebies etc.

Which youth players were introduced last season on a regular basis? We played 2 youngsters regularly and even when the league was over continued to play ageing players.

Kal Naismith 24 games

Barrie McKay 41

Fraser Aird 22

Robbie Crawford 27

Lewis Macleod 31

(Ross Perry 23)

Seb Faure 23

Chris Hegarty 29

... and 7 others where used on occasion. Nope, they didn't make a starting eleven every week, but some took their chances, others did not. or were not allowed to do so, in some people's eyes.

Season 2012/13